Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Ps4 Features (MP3 Support, DNLA, Etc.) are Delayed because Priority goes to "What makes sony money"

This is a discussion on Ps4 Features (MP3 Support, DNLA, Etc.) are Delayed because Priority goes to "What makes sony money" within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony Employee Explains Why New Features Are Delay For PS4, says "Priority Goes To Features That Make Us Money" An ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,361
    Reputation
    293

    Ps4 Features (MP3 Support, DNLA, Etc.) are Delayed because Priority goes to "What makes sony money"

    Sony Employee Explains Why New Features Are Delay For PS4, says "Priority Goes To Features That Make Us Money"

    An verified (but anonymous) Sony Employee via Reddit has revealed the reason behind why Sony are taking too much time to add new features to Playstation 4 via firmware.

    According to the employee who goes with Reddit handle "IWorkForSony" revealed that they are working first only on those features two makes them money.

    "Huge backlog of features; priority goes to features that make us money," wrote the employee on Reddit. He also added that Sony are not working on Windows Phone app for Playstation Store and added that there's no plan to develop it in future as user base is too small.
    See what else he talks about here (been 100% verified):
    http://www.reddit.com/user/IWorkForSony



    Meanwhile i can stream all my music through Xbox one's built in music app, which doesn't even require me to move my music to the XB1. it can just take it off my computer and stream it over the wifi.



  2. #2
    Puns always intended.
    Larrydavidsavatar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    One dimension short of being in a 3D game.
    Posts
    2,316
    Reputation
    137

    Now, I know what you're thinking, I swear I'm not picking on you, buuuuut it just so happens you brought up one of those little things in life that make me chuckle (sadly not a nice chuckle).

    100% verified would imply everyone knows who it is, and can see that person saying it, so yeah, not 100% verified. I could ''100% verify'' that you are sitting in a beanbag on a small whaling vessel because I have pictures of those things, doesn't make it even the tiniest bit true.
    There is always a pinch of salt on hand with such claims. I would say, there's a strong possibility but 100% verified? Nah.

    Anyway, big company wants to prioritise features that make them money? Shocking, I might need a lie down after that bombshell.

    Maybe it's cos I'm an old fart now, but on the rare occasion I wish to listen to something else other than the game I'm playing, I can see about four things within reaching distance that could facilitate that. Music playback would be a nice feature, but it's not essential in the grand scheme of things.

    In fact, I must be getting old, because I forgot that I said this the last time this came up. Back to the retirement home for me!

  3. #3
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    parkerdip's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,203
    Reputation
    30

    Ofcourse a company wants to prioritise what makes them money!

    These are not essential features for the PS4 which I could wait for. I'd just use my laptop for music

  4. #4
    Lvl 7 - Gold


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Away from civilization
    Posts
    746
    Reputation
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    Ofcourse a company wants to prioritise what makes them money!

    These are not essential features for the PS4 which I could wait for. I'd just use my laptop for music
    Yeah. Personally, I don't really care about this feature; although it could be because of my taste in music isn't necessarily stuff you can easily come across, short of finding stuff on youtube. And as far as Sony only being interested in stuff that'll make them money, it makes sense, because well, you see, a business that isn't interested in making money doesn't stay a business for very long; kinda why my parents do not have their painting company anymore and I don't have my plumbing company anymore.

  5. #5
    Fight the Future
    Parker's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wind Squid Pub
    Posts
    799
    Reputation
    57

    Is there something wrong here? There is a huge backlog of features, which obviously means they are working to implement them. Obviously Sony, or any company, is going to try and implement the money making features first, if a company doesn't have money, they can't roll out any other features or products.

    I always find it humorous when people try to put a negative spin on companies trying to make money, I can only hope they try to start their own business one day.



  6. #6
    PRO Member
    Outstandind's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    601
    Reputation
    18

    I have personally 100% verified that this guy is not who he says he is, and that Sony does not in fact pursue financial benefit in any way shape or form. Anyone that says otherwise is a nintendo fanboy and also has a small p

  7. #7
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,361
    Reputation
    293

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    100% verified would imply everyone knows who it is, and can see that person saying it, so yeah, not 100% verified. I could ''100% verify'' that you are sitting in a beanbag on a small whaling vessel because I have pictures of those things, doesn't make it even the tiniest bit true.
    There is always a pinch of salt on hand with such claims. I would say, there's a strong possibility but 100% verified? Nah.
    People who have moderated the section he posts in have verified who he is via pms. This usually means he has to show his company ID badge or some identifying piece of info that proves he is at sony and he works there. This is why he has the Sony Employee Flair in the PS4 Section (only can be given by the moderators of the section)


    if the verified info was released publicly he would probably lose his job


    if he didn't work at sony, his posts would be removed and he would most likely be banned.



    Sites like NeoGaf do the same exact thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Is there something wrong here? There is a huge backlog of features, which obviously means they are working to implement them. Obviously Sony, or any company, is going to try and implement the money making features first, if a company doesn't have money, they can't roll out any other features or products.

    I always find it humorous when people try to put a negative spin on companies trying to make money, I can only hope they try to start their own business one day.

    More Customer Satisfaction = Make more money


    putting popular features on delay to make a quick buck off other features = lowering customer satisfaction



  8. #8
    PRO Member
    Outstandind's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    601
    Reputation
    18

    So what stops him from lying or general shit stir?

  9. #9
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,206
    Reputation
    88

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    More Customer Satisfaction = Make more money

    putting popular features on delay to make a quick buck off other features = lowering customer satisfaction
    Yes, that is how the real world works... That is probably why these features aren't a priority. You can bash Sony all you want, but I promise you they aren't incompetent. They know "making money" isn't about being able to charge for it, but rather being able to "sell" it. If nobody cares about the feature, they can't advertise it. If they can't advertise it, it doesn't move units.

    That being said I am shocked the PS4 doesn't support DLNA or Media Centers yet, because that is something that can move units. It helped the PS3 for sure. Sure, one could argue the XBONE doesn't do it that well either (It does DLNA, but it doesn't play nice with Media Centers that aren't in the Microsoft Family). Seeing as Sony was the founder of DLNA, I can't see how they didn't understand the requirements of it.

    Honestly though, any real home media buff should be using FOS tools and products. Nothing else on the market can really compete with something like a Raspberry Pi or Wandboard running XBMC in terms of capability and cost when it comes to slinging media around your home. For less than the cost of any of these gaming systems you can have a network of devices that can synchronously play any audio or video coming from any device connected to the network which has the capability of being mounted as a drive (i.e. via NFS, SMB, MTP, etc), and it (of course) supports DLNA... And those devices do a much better job of keeping up with current trends, and they support a greater breadth of codecs (like FLAC, which is what people who aren't tools use)
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  10. #10
    Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<
    FancyJesse's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    844
    Reputation
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    So what stops him from lying or general shit stir?
    You just don't want to believe it don't you?
    It's just a flesh wound.

  11. #11
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,361
    Reputation
    293

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Honestly though, any real home media buff should be using FOS tools and products. Nothing else on the market can really compete with something like a Raspberry Pi or Wandboard running XBMC in terms of capability and cost when it comes to slinging media around your home. For less than the cost of any of these gaming systems you can have a network of devices that can synchronously play any audio or video coming from any device connected to the network which has the capability of being mounted as a drive (i.e. via NFS, SMB, MTP, etc), and it (of course) supports DLNA... And those devices do a much better job of keeping up with current trends, and they support a greater breadth of codecs (like FLAC, which is what people who aren't tools use)
    I use chromecast for on-the-go situations

    amazing stuff for 35 bucks.


    then you get this to complete it:

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.bubbleupnp


    and whenever i wanna use twitch

    http://www.nightdev.com/twitchcast/


    but i mainly use the XB1 when im at home so yea.



  12. #12
    PRO Member
    Outstandind's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    601
    Reputation
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    You just don't want to believe it don't you?
    I haven't read it, but sounds like this person wants attention.

    btw, does anyone really care about the mp3 support? Who on earth, in this world of iPhones, computers, youtube etc. was really waiting for the PS4 to play their favorite music?

  13. #13
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,361
    Reputation
    293

    Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    I haven't read it, but sounds like this person wants attention.

    btw, does anyone really care about the mp3 support? Who on earth, in this world of iPhones, computers, youtube etc. was really waiting for the PS4 to play their favorite music?
    Advertising your product as a entertainment device and not have MP3 Support is like advertising a car that doesn't have a handbrake.



  14. #14
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,206
    Reputation
    88

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Advertising your product as a entertainment device and not have MP3 Support is like advertising a car that doesn't have a handbrake.
    I still think the crux of Outstandind's point is right. Gaming consoles as a music player can't represent a high use-case. There are just much better options that provide a larger depth of support for services cheaper. For example, if you're an apple buff, NONE of these devices work with your library. Apple's alternative is only 100 bucks (still a ripoff imo).

    I can see you're point about it being like having a car without a handbrake, but at the same time plenty of cars don't have handbrakes and get along just fine (in the day of electronically-assisted/driven braking systems and shift-by-wire, the handbrake is being phased out).

    Video, on the other hand, is where I am shocked at the lack of support. Everybody I've ever talked to about gaming in the last 6-7 years has their gaming system on a TV they also use to watch media. Marrying video support with gaming is just going to make the devices more relevant. I'm very surprised by the lack of support for media indexers, DLNA, NFS/SMB/MTP, etc.

    Netflix and Amazon are fine and all, but I know plenty of people who want to stream from tablets... And every geek I know has a home media server to store all their DVDs/BDs.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  15. #15
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    M40A3's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    794
    Reputation
    21

    Well duhhhhhh, of course a companies #1 priority is to make money.

  16. #16
    PRO Member
    Outstandind's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    601
    Reputation
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Advertising your product as a entertainment device and not have MP3 Support is like advertising a car that doesn't have a handbrake.
    No, MP3 support is not the equivalent of a handbrake. MP3 support is almost worthless since we have a dozen other devices that DO support it, and 99% of the population doesn't listen to mp3s on their console anyway. More likely to use your phone, tablet, PC, tv, radio, iPod, whatever, before you ever use your console.

    Sony knows that it doesn't matter one bit, and that's why they keep pushing it back. I agree with them. Fuck MP3's lol. They're well and truly covered.

  17. #17
    Deathless Destroyer
    Encorporeus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oi Mate
    Posts
    980
    Reputation
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by Outstandind View Post
    No, MP3 support is not the equivalent of a handbrake. MP3 support is almost worthless since we have a dozen other devices that DO support it, and 99% of the population doesn't listen to mp3s on their console anyway. More likely to use your phone, tablet, PC, tv, radio, iPod, whatever, before you ever use your console.

    Sony knows that it doesn't matter one bit, and that's why they keep pushing it back. I agree with them. Fuck MP3's lol. They're well and truly covered.
    Outstandind is right, there's no reason why they should be forced to put MP3 functionality inside the PS4 when there's a 99% chance you already have half a dozen devices in your house, or bedroom, that can do the same thing. MP3 is such an old technology that basically everything has it nowadays, but that doesn't mean Sony must put the functionality into the PS4 when it is clearly only designed for gaming and connecting with friends.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB Ordered/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

    Youtube Channel

    Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel



  18. #18
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    138
    Reputation
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Outstandind is right, there's no reason why they should be forced to put MP3 functionality inside the PS4 when there's a 99% chance you already have half a dozen devices in your house, or bedroom, that can do the same thing. MP3 is such an old technology that basically everything has it nowadays, but that doesn't mean Sony must put the functionality into the PS4 when it is clearly only designed for gaming and connecting with friends.
    And none of those other devices can play music within my games. That's why many of us want mp3 support. WWE games need it for custom theme music to work. Just for playing music on it's own, yeah, I don't much see the point, but for playing music as a part of the game, both systems NEED that feature.

  19. #19
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    _RiCaRdO_'s Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    626
    Reputation
    16

    Hey...i know that iworkforsony guy from somewhere....isn't that....what was his name again...ehm...oh yeah! It's Bill Gates!

  20. #20
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    Da_Man-023's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    793
    Reputation
    10

    what makes sony money..... remaking every ps3 game made in the last 5 years EVEN IF THE GAME CAME OUT LAST YEAR FFS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO