System Software Update Download Question

This is a discussion on System Software Update Download Question within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; With the issues of having a sorta small hard drive on the PS4 compared to the amount of hard drive ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

System Software Update Download Question

With the issues of having a sorta small hard drive on the PS4 compared to the amount of hard drive space required to install game data for each game, it got me wondering about the system updates that are needed to log in to the PSN again. Right now, I'm downloading the PS4 v1.76 update, which is 194MB.

My question is does the previous version update's file size get deleted? Like if the previous update was 175MB, does that get deleted and then the 194MB update install then, or is that previous 175MB still there even after the 194MB update gets installed?

PRO Member

Based on the fact that you only have to download the newest update when you first start up the system i'm assuming the newest update includes everything in the previous updates as well. So it overwrites the previous 175MB with the same information and just adds another 19MB of new stuff in the case of v1.76.

Just a guess on my part though.

You got me curious now, hopefully someone else will chime in who knows what there talking about.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    Based on the fact that you only have to download the newest update when you first start up the system i'm assuming the newest update includes everything in the previous updates as well. So it overwrites the previous 175MB with the same information and just adds another 19MB of new stuff in the case of v1.76.

Just a guess on my part though.
    actually that makes a ton of sense. lol, for a guess it sounds pretty accurate

Cops vs Robbers Rangers??

I always thought that, why don't you check your before data space and then your after space, I didn't notice anything size wise when I went from 1.72 to 1.74, I belive that the older version gets deleted since if you look at your download space the older firmware update isn't there

edit: so I just updated my ps4 and the free GB on the HDD are the same size still so guessing that the 100GB that is already taken up and not open for use is saved for just that so you don't really have to worry about losing HDD space since its already taken out and used for driver info and other things on the console
    Last edited by supersonicjc; 09-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.