Having trouble powering on again

This is a discussion on Having trouble powering on again within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I installed the v2.00 update, download a couple of the free themes, and then left my house with the ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Having trouble powering on again

So I installed the v2.00 update, download a couple of the free themes, and then left my house with the PS4 in Reset Mode (formerly known as Sleep Mode) because I was installing a couple update files for The Last of Us: Remastered and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. I was only gone for about an hour, and when I just got back and wen tot turn my PS4 back on, it won't. I've tried pressing the PS button on the controller, I've tried holding it, I've tried pressing other buttons on it. I tried pressing the eject button on the console because The Last of Us: Remastered is in there. I've tried hitting the power button on the console. I plugged in my monoear mic into the controller and tried using the voice command feature saying "PlayStation" and "PlayStation On". After all that I still have that fading-in-and-out orange glowing light on the top of the PS4, instead of the solid white light.

I never had this problem before installing the v2.00 update. Does anyone know what I need to do to turn my system back on?

illegal in 9 countries

Unplug it from the wall. Leave it for a minute. Plug it in again. See if it boots.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Unplug it from the wall. Leave it for a minute. Plug it in again. See if it boots.
    when entering Reset Mode, the system said specifically NOT to do that during the time that it is in Reset Mode, and also not to do that when the solid white light, flashing white light, or flashing orange light is visible...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by jaws-ate View Post
    when entering Reset Mode, the system said specifically NOT to do that during the time that it is in Reset Mode, and also not to do that when the solid white light, flashing white light, or flashing orange light is visible...
    What other option do you have than to power cycle it if it's not responding?

Lvl 9 - Gold

yeah, thats true...

Lvl 9 - Gold

i unplugged the AC power cable and then plugged it back in after a few minutes. started up the system and it started ok, but then randomly restarted itself and then it appeared to be ok....

PRO Member

Did you try to Remote Play connect to PS4 or attached the controller to the charging cable?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisthemp View Post
    Did you try to Remote Play connect to PS4 or attached the controller to the charging cable?
    i connected the controller via the charging cable, and pressed the PS button as well as holding it. and I do not own a Vita

Fight the Future

I don't think you have to unplug the system in order to restart it, generally if you hold the power button for about 30 seconds or so it will reboot. So you probably didn't hold the button long enough.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

A lot of people are complaining that Rest mode is broken. The orange light constantly blinks and the system doesn't respond to any input.

I did some google searching and found some posts saying that rebuilding the database fixed the issue. It worked for me so it might work you.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisthemp View Post
    I tried remote play on my vita and it didn't connect after several attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    I don't think you have to unplug the system in order to restart it, generally if you hold the power button for about 30 seconds or so it will reboot. So you probably didn't hold the button long enough.
    My PS4 has done this twice now and I was able to turn it off by holding down the power button. After that it functioned normally until I tried to put it back into Rest mode.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    I did some google searching and found some posts saying that rebuilding the database fixed the issue. It worked for me so it might work you.
    That's odd because the PS4 performs a database rebuild during the firmware upgrade process