Killzone 1080p Resolution Class-Action Lawsuit can proceed

This is a discussion on Killzone 1080p Resolution Class-Action Lawsuit can proceed within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Judge Rules Killzone: Shadow Fall Class Action Lawsuit Can Proceed | Hardcore Gamer http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/1...D%20ruling.pdf In the ’90s, a bad video ...

INTJ

Killzone 1080p Resolution Class-Action Lawsuit can proceed

Judge Rules Killzone: Shadow Fall Class Action Lawsuit Can Proceed | Hardcore Gamer

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/1...D%20ruling.pdf

In the ’90s, a bad video game wouldn’t be a life-crushing event. The game would be played and the realization that it was terrible would soon follow, tears would be shed, and we would move on to the next likely bad game (after all, this was during a time where many games would be bought and sold on their box art alone). Nowadays, however, a bad game or even a good game having problems is followed by days, weeks or even years of mud slinging, from forum posts to editorials to angry e-mails sent to the publisher. Now, however, it’s going from complaining on the internet to complaining in court, as a judge today ruled that a class action lawsuit concerning Killzone: Shadow Fall can proceed.

Lead plaintiff Douglas Ladore filed the lawsuit in August claiming that the company lied about the graphics quality of PS4’s Killzone: Shadow Fall in marketing, PR and public statements and claims “Killzone’s multiplayer graphics were blurry and did not appear to be rendering at a native 1080p resolution.” and that it “has an odd motion blur effect that makes the game look overly blurry.”

Judge Edward Chen denied SCE’s arguments, stating “The substantial majority of Sony’s arguments are premised on an unduly narrow reading of the Plaintiff’s complaint, and suffer an additional fatal flaw – to grant Sony’s motion, the Court would need to draw all reasonable inferences in favor of Sony. Indeed, only one of Sony’s arguments has merit: Plaintiff’s negligent misrepresentation claim, as currently pleaded, is barred by the economic loss rule. Thus, Sony’s motion is denied in significant part.”

Chen went on to state “Sony may ultimately be correct that Killzone outputs video in 1080p even in multiplayer mode. But Ladore does not allege that Sony misrepresented the final output resolution of Killzone. Rather, the heart of Ladore’s complaint is that Killzone’s multiplayer graphics were not originally created or rendered in 1080p – the output resolution was represented to be native 1080p when in fact it was not.”

Although it may be an odd thing to go to court over, Ladore does have a point and it could set a precedent thanks to Judge Chen taking the matter seriously.

Read the complete court documents here.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Makes the game look overly blurry? I have no idea why the judge didn't laught this guy out of the courtroom. Just another lowlife looking for an easy way out, instead of earning his wage.

However, if Sony did indeed advertise 1080p in commercials and such, they deserve some sort of punishment. I haven't kept a close eye on KZ so I don't know exactly how they advertised it, if at all.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Makes the game look overly blurry? I have no idea why the judge didn't laught this guy out of the courtroom. Just another lowlife looking for an easy way out, instead of earning his wage.

However, if Sony did indeed advertise 1080p in commercials and such, they deserve some sort of punishment. I haven't kept a close eye on KZ so I don't know exactly how they advertised it, if at all.
    Sony advertised native 1080p in a blog post

One of the main reasons killzone is popular is its graphical ability

Venire, Videre, Vince

UPDATE TO THIS STORY:

Court Case has been dismissed.

Read it here: Killzone: Shadow Fall

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sony paid to make it disappear, but I think this case is a starting point for others.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalick View Post
    Sony paid to make it disappear, but I think this case is a starting point for others.
    It didn't disappear, it was settled. For better or for worse, that is how most civil suits end.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.