Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Order: 1886 Story Length

This is a discussion on The Order: 1886 Story Length within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Information is provided by "Shinobi602" who is well known in providing information on upcoming games etc. Credits to Dualshockers and ...

Drunken Nights

The Order: 1886 Story Length

Information is provided by "Shinobi602" who is well known in providing information on upcoming games etc. Credits to Dualshockers and NeoGAF.

Of course, despite the fact that Shinobi has proved himself reliable time and time again, you should take what is written below with the due grain of salt, and consider it a rumor until Sony or Ready at Dawn provide an official confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi602

8-10 hours, 10-12 if you like to take your time, take in the sights and a explore a bit.

Difficulty will also change things around.

Afterwards, he clarified what he meant with “explore.”

It is linear. I mean like checking every nook and cranny of a level. That’s how I play games like TLOU, Uncharted, etc…

He was also asked if there are moments like in the game’s artwork with huge number of NPCs around.

“Huge” might be overstating it. There are some more open areas with larger numbers of NPCs…
    I don’t know the exact number, but from what I do know, there will be some scenes/areas similar to those seen in the artwork. I wouldn’t really expect hundreds on screen at once though.

Finally, he explained that he has seen “more than your fair share” of the game, and gave more info on the narrative, alongside his opinion on what we’re going to play:

I haven’t played the game, just engaged in a lot of conversations and seen more than your fair share. I think reviewers will be hard on it based on how reviews are today. I think they’ll dock points for not “innovating enough” or having ‘standard third person gameplay” or some such. Of course I don’t agree with this line of thinking if it ends up how it reviews.

Based on what I know, the narrative is super strong. I’m not bringing the game down at all. If you’re looking for a linear, cinematic, solid third person shooter with a strong narrative, gorgeous visuals/physics and punchy, fun shooting in a badass alternate Victorian London setting, with a bit of horror elements thrown in, you’ll be happy.
    Dualshockers

Rise Above

well I cross my fingers this game is promising. hopefully gameplay is good. been waiting awhile to play this.

PRO Member

I'm interested in the game for sure. It looks pretty good. That's not a bad campaign time either.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Looking forward to this game

Kiwi Defender

Here's hoping it doesn't try to be Gears of War.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

when is the release date for Ryse: 1886

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    when is the release date for Ryse: 1886
    Ryse is a terrible game and does not compare to Shadow of Rome. Stop trollin'
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Ryse is a terrible game
    and the order 1886 has alot in common with it

third person terrible gameplay,qte's galore, terrible plot with well polished graphics to hide it all.

at least ryse has arena mp

Threat

and the order 1886 has alot in common with it

third person terrible gameplay,qte's galore, terrible plot with well polished graphics to hide it all.

1. You cannot call a game, its gameplay and its plot terrible before it's even out

2. Two games both being third person does not make the gameplay similar. Third person melee is nothing like third person cover shooting.

3. The gameplay for Ryse literally IS QTEs, The Order will have nowhere near as much, despite how much you seem to psychically know about the game.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Deathless Destroyer

This is correct ^
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

PRO Member

Sounds good. Surprised at this though: "Based on what I know, the narrative is super strong."

Might be worth a look after all.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    1. You cannot call a game, its gameplay and its plot terrible before it's even out

2. Two games both being third person does not make the gameplay similar. Third person melee is nothing like third person cover shooting.

3. The gameplay for Ryse literally IS QTEs, The Order will have nowhere near as much, despite how much you seem to psychically know about the game.

alot of people complained about QTE's and lack of new gameplay already.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/09/the-or...eplay-4980650/

“after having played it, what we don’t understand is why so little effort effort has gone into the gameplay. We don’t just mean in the sense that it’s been overlooked but that the developers seem to actively resent its necessity.”

“The lack of inspiration is staggering”

“ruthlessly linear.”

"Enemies though can seemingly see for miles, and the second they spot you they will kill you instantly and unavoidably (ditto if you mess up the timing in the stealth kill QTE). Except when they don’t. Sometimes they seem to look straight through you, before obligingly wandering off and allowing you to stab them from behind. It all seems unsatisfyingly vague, horribly basic, and with about as much dramatic tension as an episode of Peppa Pig (no offence to Peppa intended)."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/the-order-1886-review

“the sort of setting that’s likely to inspire a ton of fan fiction, if players can just get past the ham-fisted level design and stunted mechanics.”

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-.../1100-6424004/

”I was tasked with assassinating rebels disguised as official guards, who, I was told, could be identified by the lack of a shoulder patch on their uniforms. Easy enough, but the game refused to let me go out on my own, instead pre-highlighting the guards I needed to inspect, and sapping all the fun out of the mission.”

"There's always going to be a battle between presenting a compelling story and giving the player freedom, but this level of enforced stealth in a game that's built upon such a rich (and dare I say realistic-looking) world just sucked me out of the moment. Sure, I shouldn't have alerted the guard, but why not give me a way to fix my error instead of sending me back to the last checkpoint in shame? With the Order it's very much its way or the highway."

people will realize that when the game comes out on youtube (because it's more of a movie than a game).

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

At best, The Order will be a largely anonymous 7/10 sort of game that does enough to warrant a better, more refined sequel down the line. It looks nice, does some stuff that works and some that should be left two gens back. Reckon it'll be one of those that cleaves opinion right down the middle in the eyes of the public though.

The setting and concept is cracking for sure, but so it was for Murdered Soul Suspect, for example, and that game was horribly designed in gameplay terms. The Order is letting off an underwhelming aura as it is so I don't really see it getting kicked in the arse critically when nobody seems to think it will be anything good to begin with.

Lvl 9 - Gold

trolling, trolling, trolling gotta love ps360 lol. I liked murdered ss and will prob get this but it'll have to be cheap or free (ps plus I know you'll add it sometime!)

Threat

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    trolling, trolling, trolling gotta love ps360 lol. I liked murdered ss and will prob get this but it'll have to be cheap or free (ps plus I know you'll add it sometime!)
    I don't think this game has anything in common with Murdered Soul Suspect...
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

PRO Member

alot of people complained about QTE's and lack of new gameplay already.
    people will realize that when the game comes out on youtube (because it's more of a movie than a game).
    I can see the QTEs being annoying, and complaining about gameplay is every game critic's bread-and-butter.

My issue is linearity does not a bad game make. Two of my favorite games of all time: Final Fantasy X and Half-Life 2 are crushingly linear, with little to no side-quests or secret areas.

I think most people confuse linearity with boredom. You never felt HL2's linearity because it was engrossing, you felt in the universe.

I can't say anything one way or the other regarding O:1886, but like many IPs, I think it takes atleast 1 iteration to figure out the good idea. And the foundation of O:1886 is a good idea. Here is hoping something good comes out of it, unlike the other two major players in this field, Sony has had a good track record with new IP.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 9 - Gold

So are you trying to say that if it had arena mp it would be better? I for one am glad they didn't add any mp to it or co-op. Hell every game doesn't need it like a lot of people think. QTE wont bother me one bit either. I'll be picking this up day 1.

INTJ

5 hours of movie featuring startrooper syndrome , 10 out of 16 chapters that are 100% cutscenes, More QTE's than ryse, and "muh cinema"

click the playlist link to play the game, because it aint much different compared to playing on a ps4.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4xlQ6dCcXmWwfX

spoiler, final boss battle, shows blatant copy pasting from other shit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxmXx2M1oVI

60$ well spent

edits:

the Order devs pretend that the 5 hour full playthrough doesn't exist

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...gn=socialoomph

"I know there are numbers out there," he said. "I know why the question comes up. I know numbers have been put out there that are actually not right. It's impossible to finish the game in that time, so we know the numbers are wrong.

"At the end of the day, we're not going to comment on it. We can't stop people from writing the things they do. And we're not going to jump at every single mistake that is made out there. Every time somebody has the wrong impression of something we made, or somebody writes the wrong thing about what we did, it would be a full-time job to be like, oh no, that's not right. We make games. We do what we do for the players. And, ultimately, that's where I want to leave it."
    and dodging questions involving length

But how long, exactly, had Ready at Dawn's tests shown The Order to be? Weerasuriya wouldn't reveal the average playthrough time, but he was willing to enter into the debate about it.

then they admit theres not alot of the game later down

Weerasuriya said he understood concern about The Order's value as a full-priced game, but hoped Ready at Dawn's quality over quantity approach would satisfy players.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-16-2015 at 04:34 AM.

Deathless Destroyer

The 5 hour playthrough completely runs through everything based on what I read skipping pretty much everything that gives The Order substance while on Easy difficulty. So basically, it's a speedrun of the game which isn't what most people do.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    The 5 hour playthrough completely runs through everything based on what I read skipping pretty much everything that gives The Order substance while on Easy difficulty. So basically, it's a speedrun of the game which isn't what most people do.
    someone hasnt watched it

edit:

i forgot to mention that you can't skip cutscenes.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-16-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast