The Order: 1886 Proves that Large Dev Studios Need to Adapt to Modern Consumer Expectations

This is a discussion on The Order: 1886 Proves that Large Dev Studios Need to Adapt to Modern Consumer Expectations within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm sure many people know about The Order: 1886, a game that has received criticism both before and after release ...

Deathless Destroyer

The Order: 1886 Proves that Large Dev Studios Need to Adapt to Modern Consumer Expectations

I'm sure many people know about The Order: 1886, a game that has received criticism both before and after release by both critics and consumers. By all accounts, it turns out that The Order makes many of the same mistakes that developers nowadays usually try to avoid (or at least I hope they know what they're doing) when making story-driven action games or similar games.

When it comes down to it, The Order 1886 is according to the vast majority of people a story-driven game that has a mediocre story and is paired with infrequent, poorly made gameplay sections that contradict the actual story. The Order is said to be incredibly linear with sections that force proper control from you to flesh out the poorly made story. Also, apparently the QTE's are real with this one. Where the actual combat is supposed to have complexity, it turns out that all the good stuff you can use has limited uses and interactive sections where you need to find story-related stuff has bugs where you can't properly pick up/drop the item. The predictable level design has its faults where nowadays people generally prefer a more open-world level design as more powerful computer hardware becomes affordable.

Also, turns out PS360 was right (damn it, she usually isn't and comes up with the most interestingly conflicting stories). Many people now confirm the game is short and since the story isn't good then as a whole The Order hasn't been able to make something worthy of general standards. The aspect ratio that the developers came up with that gives all the black bars would also detract from the game as well during combat sections, and even if I was to think of the story I hate the aspect ratio anyway, even in an actual movie.

(I tore my opinions straight off Gamespot but a lot of others seem to have the same ideas so I'm just going with it).

Basically, developers need to realize what consumers don't like and like and realize that if people don't like it then they can't expect to live off of the hype.
    Last edited by Encorporeus; 02-21-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Rise Above

i dont know how to put this but il try. to me the order 1886 felt like telltale games with the point and click being replaced with QTE. i usually dont like comparing games but the gameplay should of been more open like the xbox game gears of war. it would of also be nice if you could of switch between characters like in the killzone series. for those who played killzone know that each chapter/mission is shown in different perspective with a different character. i think these two mechanics would of made the order 1886 better. im all about gameplay!!!!

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

If possible they should of just charged $30/25

and it's she not he

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

INTJ

gud gaem

PRO Member

yeah honestly i might gamefly it but i won't be buying this period

The Last of my Kind

The game companies are falling into this release uncomplete/short game habit with bugs. It's like they just started playing Game Dev Tycoon. Just wait maybe The Order 1886 will have the DLC of what was the rest of the game

Thanks to LuckayCanadianShulckayMooseackey for this Signature & Elite Guild Bar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

INTJ

Rich and Jack play The Order 1886, a 9th grade creative writing assignment that some asshole turned into a video game.
    i love this