Rumor: Brazillians Found out a way how to pirate PS4 Games

This is a discussion on Rumor: Brazillians Found out a way how to pirate PS4 Games within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS4 Jailbreak news - PS4 "games are easy to pirate" rumors keep pouring from Brazil and the scene - Wololo.net ...

INTJ

Rumor: Brazillians Found out a way how to pirate PS4 Games

PS4 Jailbreak news - PS4 "games are easy to pirate" rumors keep pouring from Brazil and the scene - Wololo.net

We recently reported about the growing rumors of a PS4 Jailbreak (or, rather, a technique to run pirated games rather than a way to install a PS4 CFW) coming from Brazil.

After we investigated the initial source of this PS4 Jailbreak news, the facebook page of a small Brazilian modchip store, several things happened: The store in question pulled all information off their facebook page, claiming the high level of publicity could lead them to trouble, and a bunch of people contacted me to let me know they either knew about the technique, or had seen it in action.

Hackers from the PS3/PS Vita/PS4 scene have been in touch with me to describe to me a process that is being used on PS3s to copy licenses of a game. The trick involves activating a console for an account, making a copy of its NAND, deactivating it, then copying back the previously saved NAND. A similar technique is also being used on the PS4, it seems. According to the hackers who have contacted me though, the tricks known for this have been patched by Sony on 2.51 and could brick the console, as mentioned recently by cfwprohpet on Playstationhax.it. The Brazilian modchip stores, however, seem to imply their technique works on 2.51.

Tiny electronics stores in Brazil charge somewhere between $100 and $150 to install about 10 recent games on a PS4 with their technique. They are, of course, keeping the technique a secret, in order for it to not get patched, but also so that they can run a profitable business reselling pirated games. If this is the same technique as the one described by sceners above, then it is dubious it would work on 2.51. Because of this, it is difficult to get a clear confirmation, or proof that this fully works. One can only rely on the reputation of these shops, which in general is quite high based on the reviews on the eBay-like sites where they operate.

After the “first” store to claim they had access to this PS4 jailbreak decided to keep quiet about it, a few others surfaced again in Brazil. Some stores are selling a bulk of 10 games for a fee on eBay-like marketplaces. Others are basically doing the same, and announcing they are in possession of the PS4 Jailbreak, showcasing the results for their clients.
    Here’s what one commenter, Keko, from Brazil, had to say about this PS4 Jailbreak news in our comments section. The comment below aligns with most of the emails/tips I have received so far on this technique:

Hey bros! The hack is real, and it is not a real hack, but a real bypass, they are using a very simple and old technique from the MSX age, just simple rewrite eeprom, the quite and simple way to say GO. They arent decrypt or crypt anything. When sony tried to safe secure the PS4 they forgot to hardlock inside the CPU/APU the real hashcode for the bios, this is intent to not allow bios to be exchanged or rewrite, so, as they failure to do it, what the Hackers are doing is just simple running the real software inside one console, you can do it as psn/accounts, so the PS4 add $$$ game info inside the rom! So, they only need to stuff original games and matches run bios roms, so, the ROM/GAME will match and so will execute in the console. Remember that ROM can run a FOREVER SOFTWARE INSTALLED ON IT, so, all the games are REAL ORIGINAL and the PS4 arent hacked at all. The Hack is a bypass of ASM code for follow ROM/BIOS reading using a PI, YES SIMPLE AS BRAZILIAN WAY.
    But all further games will depend on matches or DUMPS of BIOS/GAME, REMEMBER PS4 GAMES HAVE IT OWN HASH CODE! So, you cant decrypt it like in the PS3 default key, each game has it own key and it must match yo your BIOS coded hash, so, PS4-GAME tied forever! This only doesnt happen in a CD environment, where the hash authenticate the drive and return to PS$$$ that authenticate the BIOS and return with authenticate game, so, it is impossible to use a BYPASS in CD/SATA as no key extraction is possible in a 4 way schema.

BUT THE WAY BRAZILIAN DID IS POSSIBLE, SIMPLE AND WILL RUN!

They just simplified the way to do it!

PI is just to enable flashing/reflashing/ontimeflash/simulation of BIOS.

huehue gibe ps4 game or i report u

also good job sony for allowing a MSX trick on a modern platform

Lvl 5 - Silver

Wow, dunno if i wish this rumor to be true or not no one knows what would be the reaction from Sony
    *Info Bar: Boosting : / Latest: Assassin`s Creed: Syndicate

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Damn that's crazy, sounds like an easy work around but no need for me to do that junk. I have a job and don't mind paying for my games.

Plus I don't need Sony upgrading my account to a permanent ban

IF YOU NEED TROPHY HELP JUST ASK ME. DO NOT SEND A BLANK FRIEND REQUEST

Negator

So, perhaps my old looping eeprom hardware/software will see some use again. Wonder if Sony will eventually develop a simple ECM to combat this alleged 'hack'.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

The only sane person here

Those Brazilians will do anything at this point.

Kiwi Defender

Can't believe I actually understood the general idea from all that technical jargon.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

The Method is real.

New piracy technique on PS4 in Brazil confirmed to be real, Sony might take legal action - Wololo.net

We’ve revealed a few weeks ago that some electronic stores in Brazil were advertising a way to copy pirate video games onto your PS4 for a fee. Although the technique was not described in details (these stores wanted, after all, to make a profit out of the scheme, not share it for everyone to get it for free, or for Sony to patch it), we’ve been in touch with several members of the hacking scene, as well as customers of these stores, who have all confirmed the existence of the “hack”.

Yesterday, journalists at UOL Jogos, a trusted site in Brazil, have confirmed that the hack is real, as they have verified it themselves on a test console (original article, in Portuguese, can be found here). It needs to be emphasized that this is not the well known “account sharing” trick, but a new kind of hack.
    Small electronics store in some streets of Sao Paulo will charge from R$ 300 to R$ 400 (about $100 to $150) in order to install 10 pirated games on your console. The UOL journalists have confirmed the hack to work on their own console.
    The process, as described by Brazilian modchip stores, is close to what we have explained before: a Dump of a “legit” console with a dozen games on it is performed, and copied to the target console. In addition to a copy of the hard drive, it is safe to assume a dump of the NAND/BIOS is performed as well. It seems the dump is performed with the help of a regular raspberry pi, as this had been implied the first time we uncovered this story.
    Other ways have existed for pirates in the past: Sony lets people activate several consoles on the same account, so some people abuse that system by sharing accounts with their friends. This piracy technique remains limited as you can only share an account with a limited number of consoles. This new technique, however, has virtually no limit to how many PS4s could replicate the games. As such, this is a very lucrative business for these electronics shop, who make close to 100% profit on this technique.

These shops in Brazil charge about $100 to install 10 games. These games would cost almost $600 normally. This is a great deal for both the client and the seller. To get more games, one has to come back to the store and pay roughly $15 for each additional game. UOL mention that with 10 games of the current generation, your PS4 hard drive is pretty much full anyway, so you’ll have to erase a few ones to add new ones. The article on UOL mentions that the hack initially originated on a Russian site. Given what I’ve been told so far though, it could literally have originated from anywhere, as it is heavily inspired from a similar technique on the PS3 that is widely known. It could be one of those “not so secret” secrets of the scene.

As we’ve discussed before, this is not really what could be considered as a PS4 Jailbreak, and of minimal interest from a homebrew perspective. It is still interesting however, from my point of view, to confirm once again that a system is as secure as its weakest link. Although no encryption is broken here, pirates are still able to find their way, while us “homebrewers” are left in the cold.
    Sony are not totally ignoring the issue of piracy in Brazil. It seems they are aware of the “account sharing” technique (and how some stores are monetizing it) and already sending cease and desist notices about that. It is safe to assume they will at least do the same for this new piracy technique, and will probably be looking into ways to patch the hack. As a reminder, people on the PS4 hacking scene have told us that the technique they knew about has been patched on 2.51, so it seems the technique used by Brazilian stores is slightly different from that.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    The Method is real.
    nb4 wide-spread ECM bricks a buncha PS4s.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    also good job sony for allowing a MSX trick on a modern platform
    It is actually not the same trick, the article is somewhat inaccurate as TECHNICALLY there is no dedicated EEPROM on the system. The trick is in the same vein as what you could do back in the MSX days, and all the way through the cartridge era.

It is actually making a comeback in the current day and age because people are more attached to devices and less and less to the actual media (note, I said media, not content).

This exploit is actually coming from the fact that the PS4 uses a relatively common x86 architecture combined with a *Nix derivative operating system that uses a secure boot process. Meaning the boot-loader/BIOS/OS validate with each-other using a set of credentials stored in the CPU/Bootloader, this validates every step in the chain to make sure the system is booting a valid image.

The issue is Sony didn't "burn" the credentials in, so the credentials used for the PS4's secure boot process can be pulled out if you can take an entire dump of the NAND because the credentials are stored in an area that does not require a hash or key to read/write. Meaning any POSIX compliant device with a USB and console acces that can accept a memory dump can clone a PS4.

Additionally, these credentials provide a unique identifier for the console that isn't tied to an internet connection, so they can be used for activation of games without requiring a persistent internet connection.

In the big picture... This means even though the credentials themselves are largely gibberish, if you have the same credentials as another guy, your console "activates" with those games because the credentials stored in the application match.

There really isn't a way around this without requiring persistent online access.

Additionally, I know you really love harping on Sony, but you'd be surprised how many devices are susceptible to this type of exploit. Sure, it might not be the exact same, but the technique of "cloning." You're really only hearing about it here because the cloning, in this case, is resulting in free games (presuming you clone an a device that has already unlocked said games).
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.