Are PSN gift cards region locked?

This is a discussion on Are PSN gift cards region locked? within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My primary PSN account is US registered, however I currently live in Europe. Sony has blocked foreign creditcards so I ...

PRO Member

Are PSN gift cards region locked?

My primary PSN account is US registered, however I currently live in Europe.
    Sony has blocked foreign creditcards so I can't purchase anything on my US registered PSN account with a european creditcard. Thus I will need to buy an online code/voucher/gift card.

For some reason Amazon has region locked their gift cards, meaning if I'm trying to buy an online gift card (voucher) in dollars from a European country, I get a warning I can't purchase it from the current location.

There are two possible solutions, however I don't know if any of them will work.

1) Buy a PSN card in local currency, however I don't know if PSN (in US) will accept the "foreign" code.
    2) Register a fake address on Amazon.

Do you guys have any experience with this problem?

Negator

As far as I know, they're indeed region-specific. Then again, I'm frequently proven wrong about all sorts of stuff.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Cops vs Robbers Rangers??

i think the cards are region locked for some reason, I know that amazon states at least in the US store that the cards will only work for north America/ Canada area only so im guessing that if you want to use an EU PSN card you can only use it in the EU store

Threat

Yes, they are. Different regions use different currency.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by siraryx View Post
    My primary PSN account is US registered, however I currently live in Europe.
    Sony has blocked foreign creditcards so I can't purchase anything on my US registered PSN account with a european creditcard. Thus I will need to buy an online code/voucher/gift card.

For some reason Amazon has region locked their gift cards, meaning if I'm trying to buy an online gift card (voucher) in dollars from a European country, I get a warning I can't purchase it from the current location.

There are two possible solutions, however I don't know if any of them will work.

1) Buy a PSN card in local currency, however I don't know if PSN (in US) will accept the "foreign" code.
    2) Register a fake address on Amazon.

Do you guys have any experience with this problem?

It's called a second account. Make an extra account put in all your info and anything you download will be on the main system then just sign in as your U.S. account and you should be able to access your newly downloaded stuff unless it is DLC.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post

It's called a second account. Make an extra account put in all your info and anything you download will be on the main system then just sign in as your U.S. account and you should be able to access your newly downloaded stuff unless it is DLC.
    I recently got batman AK with two DLCs, added them to my uk account as the game was European edition and it worked like a charm in the US account
    *Info Bar: Boosting : / Latest: Assassin`s Creed: Syndicate

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by HIT2MAN View Post
    I recently got batman AK with two DLCs, added them to my uk account as the game was European edition and it worked like a charm in the US account
    If the core game and DLC are from the same region, then of course they'll work on any PSN account. Max was pointing out that you can't use DLC from another region (usually) on a game from a separate region. BLUS/NPUB and BLEB/NPEB are typically not interchangeable.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

There's pretty much two solutions to your issue, since, as pointed out before, codes are, indeed, region locked:

1.- Create another account on a different Region (in this case, EU, since that's where you're at), like Max suggested.
    2.- Have someone buy you a voucher in the US and then redeem it on your US account.

I'd go for the latter, since I'm not fond of having multiple accounts with a lot of content spread throughout them, but whatever's easier for you ought to be the way to go.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

I ended up testing this out; they are in fact region "locked".
    I have the european version of Far Cry 4, and I bought the Yeti DLC from american PS store; didn't install / work.
    Created an european account, bought the DLC from there; installed and played fine on my american account.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hello,,
    psn cards are region locked not only for europe but for the country you got your account,,,

i have a dutch account but i live in spain,,, buying a spanish psn card won't work with a dutch account,,,
    i can not pay with paypal when i want to buy from a dutch playstation store,,,because my paypal is linked to a spanish bank account,,,
    paying with my credit card won't work ,,,same problem,

to solve this problem , i made a spanish account and made it the primary account on my ps4,,, now i can buy with my spanish account and play with my dutch account,,,
    i hope this helps ,,

best regards,,,