PS4 Pro need to know

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro need to know within the General PS4 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The PS4 Pro price, release date, specs - everything you need to know | GamesRadar+ [top] The PS4 Pro price, ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

PS4 Pro need to know

The PS4 Pro price, release date, specs - everything you need to know | GamesRadar+

[top]The PS4 Pro price, release date, specs - everything you need to know

By Leon Hurley 2 days ago

[top]

Fast facts:
    • PS4 Pro release date: 10 November 2016.
    • Features: upgraded PS4 with enhanced GPU, including 4K output and HDR.
    • What's in the box: HDMI cable and USB cable, mono headset, AC power cord and the new DualShock controller.
    • HDD size: 1 TB.
    • Price: $399/£349.

[top]When is the PS4 Pro released?

The PS4 Pro will be out on November the 10th 2016.

[top]Can I buy a PS4 Pro bundle?

At the moment there's only a basic console option to buy: PS4 Pro, controller and wires. However, expect to see plenty of retail bundles closer to release, as well as potentially some official bundles including games that are enhanced on the PlayStation Pro.

[top]Is the PS4 Pro a new PlayStation?

Technically, yes this is a new PlayStation but it's only really an enhanced version of the one you already have. Think of it as a PS4.5 - it's got a little more power under the hood for better framerates, graphics and other effects but it essentially plays exactly the same games and uses the same Store, OS etc.

[top]What's in the PS4 Pro box

The PS4 Pro box contains all the essentials. There's an HDMI cable, a USB cable, and in-ear mono headset, a AC power cord and the new DualShock controller with the light bar on the touchpad.

[top]What are the PS4 Pro specs?

You can see the full specs below but the main thing is that it's more powerful than the current PS4. Both share the same CPU but it's the GPU where the extra grunt comes from.
    The original PS4/PS4 Slim currently rocks 1.84 TFLOPS (a measure of computing power) while the Pro has 4.20 TFLOPS. Here's a full breakdown of all the important numbers:
    Product name PlayStation 4 Pro
    Product code CUH-7000 series
    CPU: x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
    GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon based graphics engine
    Memory GDDR5 8GB
    Storage size 1TB
    External dimensions Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length (excludes largest projection)
    Mass Approx. 3.3 kg
    BD/ DVD drive (read only) BD × 6 CAV DVD × 8 CAV
    Input/ Output Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
    Networking Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1 IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Bluetooth 4.0 (LE)
    Power AC 100V, 50/60Hz
    Power consumption Max. 310W
    Operating temperature 5ºC – 35ºC
    AV output HDMI out port (supports 4K/HDR)
    DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port

[top]Do I need a new PSN account for a PS4 pro? What happens to the stuff I already own?

Nope. This is just a PS4, albeit one with better graphics and more power. Apart from that it'll just run all the same things, use the same Store and when you log in, all your saves, games, films and so on will be exactly where you left them (once you redownload it).

[top]What games does the PS4 Pro play? Will my old ones still work?

The PS4 Pro will play the same games as the current PS4 or the PlayStation 4 Slim. However developers will be able to use the Pro's extra power to improve framerates, draw distance, textures, resolutions and add extra effects, as well as HDR (see below). Currently not every new game will use it, although the promise that after launch "virtually all" new releases will. A few things already out will have support patched in.
    Here's the list of PS4 Pro enhanced games to date.
    Currently released games
    • Deus Ex: Manking Divided
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Infamous: First Light
    • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
    • Paragon
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Upcoming games
    • Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
    • Days Gone
    • Dishonored 2
    • Farpoint
    • Final Fantasy 15
    • For Honor
    • Horizon: Zero Dawn
    • Killing Floor 2
    • Mass Effect: Andromeda
    • Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
    • Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Spider-Man
    • Titanfall 2
    • Watch Dogs 2

[top]Are there PS4 Pro exclusive games?

Nope. Sony are really insistent about that. Here's what its official word is on the matter:
    "There will not be any PS4 Pro-exclusive games. Because PS4 Pro and the standard PS4 are members of the same family, both systems will be fully compatible with all past, present, and future PS4 titles, including PlayStation VR. All PS4 games are PS4 Pro games, and vice-versa."

[top]How are PS4 Pro games improved and what's HDR?

Sony are promising the PS4 Pro will "render higher or more consistent framerates, increased environmental and character model detail, improved overall visual quality, and other related visual enhancements". So, a bit prettier then.
    HDR or high dynamic range refers to an increased ability to render colours and contrast making games look sharper and more vibrant. That's actually been patched into current PS4 as well although you'll need a TV that can display HDR. It should be easy to spot in the difference in these two GIFs below. The top one is a normal PS4, the bottom a PS4 Pro with HDR.

[top]Normal PS4, no HDR

[top]PS4 Pro with HDR

[top]Does the PS4 output true 4K?

Ummm... Not really. For games at least. Sony has repeatedly referred to '4K gaming' but avoided key terms like 'native 4K'. When pressed about it PlayStation boss Andrew House said that "the majority [of games] will be upscaled based on the game portfolio I have seen to date".
    The Blu-ray player also won't support Ultra 4K Blu-ray because Sony are banking on most people streaming 4K shows and films instead. (Which will actually be true 4K.)

[top]So do I need a 4K TV and a Premium HDMI cable for PS4 Pro?

No. You'll get the best out of a PS4 Pro via a 4K TV with HDR but you can use the console on any TV with an HDMI.
    However, you will need a premium HDMI input port on the TV and premium HDMI cable if you want to see the PS4 Pro at its best. A premium HDMI cable can display a 4K signal at up to 60 frames per second as apposed to older cables that can do 4K but only at 30 frames per second. The PS4 Pro does come with a premium cable but you might have to fork out if you want a longer one.
    Check out this handy table to see what the PS4 Pro can do. Note this is for 4K content, not games.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Still not sure if i should go pro yet, maybe i`ll wait a bit after release. im more interested on The new controller and what it can do

Thanks, cool thread
    *Info Bar: Boosting : Borderlands 2 / Latest: Uncharted 4: A Thief`s End

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by HIT2MAN View Post
    im more interested on The new controller and what it can do
    Isn't the only difference the position of the light bar?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

the only thing I need to know is the ps4 has been sub par overall since release (other than the few really good games) so ps4 pro doesn't interest me in the least!
    VR also could be sub par just like the vita who got no AAA support (along with the whole 3d fad lol) the ps4 camera was the biggest waste of money though....

so is the ps4 pro going to have the tag "play all the remastered games again......reremastered!!!!!!"

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    1. the only thing I need to know is the ps4 has been sub par overall since release (other than the few really good games) so ps4 pro doesn't interest me in the least!

2. VR also could be sub par just like the vita who got no AAA support (along with the whole 3d fad lol)

3. the ps4 camera was the biggest waste of money though....

4. so is the ps4 pro going to have the tag "play all the remastered games again......reremastered!!!!!!"
    1. So, You don't like having better frame rates, better lighting, better textures and better resolution?

2. PS VR will only take off if they advertise it in the mainstream media and not just the internet same goes for the PS VITA debacle it had lots of AAA support but due to the lack of proper marketing it failed kinda similar also is the WII U.

3. The PS4 camera hasn't been a waste of money to those streamers that get paid to play and stream.

4. Older PS4 games will just get an update patch for "PRO" settings.

Lvl 9 - Gold

to the above points.... all are mostly valid statements but I still stand by my thoughts

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Any new thoughts on the new claims? All I know is I'm getting a PS4 PRO probably on Boxing Day or at launch if SONY puts a Rise of the Tomb Raider bundle together.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

With the update 4.50 there will be extra settings to enhance all games on your PS4 PRO.

Negator

And here's the actual information:

Quote Originally Posted by John Koller Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SIEA
    Starting today, those of you selected for our beta program will get an early peek at some of the new features coming to PS4 with our next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke). If you signed up for the beta and were chosen, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download and get started.

Even if you’re not participating in the beta, we still wanted to give you a quick glance of the key features that will be rolling out with this update. We’re refining the user interface of PS4 even further, and adding highly requested features like external HDD support and custom wallpapers.

[top]External HDD Support

It’s easy to upgrade the HDD that came with your PS4, but if you’re still looking for more storage space on the console, we’ve got you covered. With this update, you have the option to store content to an external HDD. Just plug a USB 3.0 HDD into your PS4, and voilà, you now have more space on the console.

This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu.

Also, all the applications saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen so it’s easy to keep track of what apps you launched recently.
    Please note: user save files are still stored locally on your PS4 HDD. Only games and applications are stored externally.

[top]Custom Wallpapers

This update adds the ability to set your favorite in-game screenshot as the background image for PS4’s home screen. Drop-shadows on text, and the option to dim the Function Area, will help keep the system icons and texts on the home screen clearly visible even if the background image you selected is super bright.

You can also edit screenshots using Photo Mode in Sharefactory to make your one-and-only custom wallpaper.

[top]Quick Menu Refresh

As you may know, in the last system update we overhauled the PS4 Quick Menu feature (the menu that appears after a long press of the PS button on DualShock 4).

This update brings additional improvements to make it even more accessible. Now the Quick Menu will cover even less of your gameplay screen, and you’ll be able to access handy Party features via Online Friends, like creating new parties, inviting friends, and joining parties, without transitioning to the separate Party app. The goal is to keep you in the game — and not stuck in menus.

[top]Simplified Notification List

Before this update, the Notifications app had a variety of tabs on the left-hand side, like Game Alerts, Downloads, Uploads, and more. We’ve condensed all of the tabs to a single simplified list, making it easier to see all of your notifications all at-a-glance.

You can also quickly access the Notification settings from the Options Menu to turn off or customize which pop-up notifications appear on your screen, so you’re only being notified about your top priorities.

[top]Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

We’re adding the ability to post directly into the Activity Feed, which appears in a variety of places across the console, including What’s New. Under What’s New, you’ll see a new option to post things like text, screenshots, and gifs directly into your Activity Feed. You can also tag games or other users to make sure they don’t miss your post. It’s a great way to show off your greatest triumphs.
    Tying into this new feature, Live from PlayStation will show screenshots that users uploaded to PSN as a Public Activity, so you can show off your best gameplay moments not only to your friends, but to users around the globe.

[top]3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

If you’re a fan of 3D movies, and you own PlayStation VR, we’ve got good news — this update adds the ability to view 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR headset. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!
    Source: PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed – PlayStation.Blog

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Game on....

I have owned a PS4 Pro for over six months and it is easily worth owning over the original PS4. Putting the 4K aside for a moment, the PS4 Pro really does improve framerates, graphics, loading times, installation times etc. As someone who has gamed on a PS4 for years, i have noticed the difference big time playing PS4 games on my PS4 Pro.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I have owned a PS4 Pro for over six months and it is easily worth owning over the original PS4. Putting the 4K aside for a moment, the PS4 Pro really does improve framerates, graphics, loading times, installation times etc. As someone who has gamed on a PS4 for years, i have noticed the difference big time playing PS4 games on my PS4 Pro.
    I can agree with that as well. My PS4 PRO is set up through wi-fi and it works faster than my original PS4 did when it was hardwired. The picture quality on just the XMB looks kinda pixelated on the original PS4 compared to the PS4 PRO so my guess is that it also improves the pixels while gaming on a 1080p TV.