Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

US Senator Wants to Ban GTAV

This is a discussion on US Senator Wants to Ban GTAV within the Grand Theft Auto V forum, part of the G; With the recent Sandy Hook tragedy, it's no secret that some people are looking into obvious scapegoats to have someone ...

Banned

US Senator Wants to Ban GTAV

With the recent Sandy Hook tragedy, it's no secret that some people are looking into obvious scapegoats to have someone to blame. Just a few days ago, uneducated people somehow connected BioWare's Mass Effect franchise to the shooting and are blaming the game for what happened.Now, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin is going back to one of the most-controversial videogame franchises of all time to have someone new to blame. I am, of course, talking about the Grand Theft Auto franchise -- which, in this case, is GTA 5.
    In an interview with MSNBC (via DailyKos), Manchin, who's an avid gun user and huntsman, states that he has no plans in selling his guns and has been discussing the issue with the NRA (National Rifle Association). Further along the inerview, he also claims that he's friends with the NRA and that's he's "proud" of the association -- say what?
    Here's what Marchin had to say regarding the NRA and how he's "proud" of them.
    These are my friends...They’re good people. They’re hurting. They’re in pain the same way as every American about what happened to these twenty little children. And I’m not going to let anybody be villainized
    I’m so proud of the NRA...I’m so pleased they agreed to be part of this.
    If that wasn't befuddling enough, Manchin then spent most of the interview putting focus on mental health issues and -- you guessed it -- videogames.
    Manchin states later in the interview, "Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes," and even adds, "Shouldn’t that be looked into and maybe be banned?"
    So instead of talking about how to better keep guns away from "unbalanced" people, Manchin focuses on suggesting that Grand Theft Auto 5 be banned? I don't know about you, but I highly doubt that banning GTA 5 -- or any other videogame for that matter -- will result in the crime rate dropping or for tragedies like what just happened in Connecticut to not just happen.
    For more on why we don't think videogames is the instigator that some politicans claim it out to be, read our feature on the matter and see if you agree.
    Do you think that Manchin has a point and that Grand Theft Auto 5 should be looked into before it's release next year? Or is he grasping at straws to put the blame on everything and anyone without looking at the obvious?

PRO Member

Same old story...I don't understand why the "powers that be" won't address the actual problem, gun control!

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Retired

How's the end of the world trains?

This won't change anything to me, and it probably won't get banned, but I think if they do ban it, there are gonna be some serious issues.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Sigh...

Should also ban Dynasty Warriors because Adam Lanza played it a lot and that game is totally what made him go on his rampage.
    And ban Mass Effect 3 because his brother liked a facebook page about it.

Banned

This one is no different from the others. There were crimes far more brutal than this, before games we're even known or thought of. These imbeciles are looking for an opening, to try and get games banned because of school shootings and other crimes like this. They're definitely missing the bigger picture and it's just a way for them to try to take things from us.

Lvl 7 - Gold

If you ban that particular violent video game then you need to ban all the violent movies, books, TV shows and music to be released. Which would then of course call into question our rights and creators rights of all projects involved. Then talk about the millions of dollars the entertainment industry would lose.

PRO Member

Tell the **** to FUCK off.... Christ

Chocobo Master

I think it's pretty dumb if they try and ban this. You know how many games that feature stalking and feeling a female up are in Japan but Rapes are almost nil? Censoring is ok but why ban it. It goes back to the phrase "The devil made me do it" that was coined by Flip Wilson
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by User011010 View Post
    Same old story...I don't understand why the "powers that be" won't address the actual problem, gun control!
    This.

When your forefathers said you have the right to bare arms they should have meant you have the right to wear singlets not wear firearms.

We have gun related deaths in this country but it only happens like once or twice a month in every state not multiple times on a daily basis. Do your news reporters even say who got shot or do they just run a list up the screen displaying who got killed by gun related death like movie credits?

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 9 - Gold

This happens with most GTA games. Some moronic politician or newspaper with no prior knowledge of the game whatsoever other than "it's violent" tries, and ultimately fails. to have it banned. Banning a violent game or movie will solve NOTHING. If this idiot is so concerned about the Sandy Hook tragedy (and it is, let's not forget, a tragedy), then his main concern should be addressing why it is so easy for American citizens to own automatic weapons in the first place. A number of these real-life shooting sprees involve assault rifles; weapons that NO-ONE outside of the police and the armed forces needs to have access to. That's where his priorities should lie. I believe that the approximate number of gun-related deaths in America each year is around 11,000-12,000. Doesn't that strike him as being excessive?

What's next - banning the next Expendables movie because it's violent and features a bunch of dudes with guns killing everyone that gets in their way?

PRO Member

I do believe in game retailers being held more accountable in adhering to age restrictions on games when they are selling them. They can talk about banning all they want; it will never happen since video games (and other forms of entertainment) have been recognized as speech. And I still do not hear any talk about parental responsibility for their children. Every parent has the right to prevent their kids for watching/playing/doing anything that they don't deem fit. Unfortunately, some of these parents are too lazy to do their damn jobs and want to blame everything and everyone other than themselves.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post
    I think it's pretty dumb if they try and ban this. You know how many games that feature stalking and feeling a female up are in Japan but Rapes are almost nil? Censoring is ok but why ban it. It goes back to the phrase "The devil made me do it" that was coined by Flip Wilson
    Even censoring by the government is not okay. I could see the industry imposing some self-censorship in order to limit some of the critics, which is still not a good thing in my opinion. Ratings are there for a reason.

Lvl 7 - Gold

He's a ****** and banning Gta 5 will cause nothing

Ice Cream Firefighter

Well here is a funny fact as well, if they did succeed in say Banning all games, what will they move onto next Movies/TV.

US Senator wants to crush Hollywood after a man watched the new Rambo HD remake left the cinema put a headband on his head & went to his workplace & shot all his workmates & his boss. 27 dead.

You know what I don't think they would, this is just a act of a stupid man that thinks with his big toe like most politicians do!

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Change is mediocre

I didn't know we were letting 4 year olds buy GTA V.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Isn't it nice to see that the United States Senate has gotten all their important business done and has time to look at issues such as this?

You mean they haven't? You mean that we have another political blowhard who is more concerned about getting some time in front of the cameras and microphones regarding a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with what he was elected to do?

With all due respect, Senator Manchin, STFU. Do the things you're paid to do (and not by your "lobbyist" friends) and only then worry about superfluous crap like this.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

DH
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

It all reflects on the parents if parents actually gave a damn about what their kids do when they weren't with them then this wouldn't be an issue. and before someone says it's irrelevant i have personally seen parents buying their kids GTA 4 when the kids was only six. Guess we found out what happened when we got rid of the leash . . .

PSN ID: Devilhunter290
    Big thanks to D1Mech for this signature and avatar

Platinum Dohvakiin

The reality in Washington D.C. is, most of these Politicians have never played a video game in their life. The few who have, probably are the ones telling them to STFU. And obviously Joe Manchin is in the group who has never played one. Plus he's just an opportunistic tool, talking to the people who know less than he does. The Guy wouldn't know GTA from Saints Row, or CoD from Battlefield. So when you here a US Politician talking about banning video games, do with most of us do. Pay them no mind because most don't have a clue wtf they are talking about. And banning a video game will last as bout as long as it take EA or Activision, to call that Senator or Congressman up, and make a donation to their Re-Election Campaign, and you never hear about it again.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lord of all Goat-Men

Fiscal Cliff? Who cares.
    Lack-luster gun laws? Not important.
    Growing Aged Population dependent on Medicare? No hurry.
    Gay rights? Not a big concern.

By all means, Senator, please focus on the big-picture issues like banning a video game.

Angel of Death

They waste millions, maybe billions, on war and killing thousands, then they bitch about a violent video game. Fuck logic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast