Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release

This is a discussion on Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release within the Grand Theft Auto V forum, part of the G; If this is really the case, Rockstar can blow me. I won't buy a single one of their games in ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

If this is really the case, Rockstar can blow me. I won't buy a single one of their games in the future.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Trophy Huntin'

There will surely be a few problems with this idea. A. People like myself won't buy it for two reasons. They want a physical disc and a case, and there will never be used copies to buy for cheaper, the price tag will always remain the same. B. I don't want to spend 60 bucks or however much it is and to not physically get the game. I get to pay 60 bucks for pixels? If i buy something, i want it to be tangible C. Prices aren't going to get lowered and then these companies are going to make even more money, not to mention, they'll probably try to say that because it's so "convenient" to download it directly, they'll raise the prices. D. Harddrive space. A huge game like GTA will eat a harddrive up like nothing.

This better not start happening anytime soon. Why do you think i vary rarely buy anything off of the PSN?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I will be okay with digital copies only as soon as the publishers put money out for uncapped 10 MB pipes and high capacity drives for everyone and their console. In the world.

Until then, it ain't happening. Sorry.
    Just because I'm a lazy person: All gaming info is here -> GrimmLAN13

The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble
    I like my coffee black
    Just like my metal

Mindless Self Indulgence

An old-fashioned cowboy

Could it be they're just trying to create controversy for the game?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ShindaUsagi View Post
    No manufacturing should result in cheaper games. It would be strange at first but I don't mind saving money.
    It should, but look at the prices of full games on the store. No manufacturing just counts as more profit for the publisher

I'd take Mystic Meg's word over an analyst's any day

Prometheus stole fire from Zeus, I'm stealing his thunder

Lvl 5 - Silver

i dont mind, i got a 640gb ps3 so no worries
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I could see them doing this and then also releasing a disc based version at a higher cost.

I have mixed feelings on this because if its cheaper to get a digital version and you can guarantee that the servers wont crash on day one from millions of people trying to d/l it at the same time and it wont be god awfully slow then i can see the promise of it. Now if its the same price, i lose pre order incentives and dont have a physical copy to trade in even if its years down the line for a couple bucks, I won't be for it at all.

Also wtf is up with having to buy a box with a code in it? thats just stupid. let me d/l it directly from psn. If they implement some way of selling your old code to someone else like you would with a old game at gamestop then this makes sense because they are just phasing out discs. which isnt a big deal imo. But you better include a terabyte or 2 HD upgrade with my purchase.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    No physical media? No thanks! And who the hell are newzoo to make such claims?! I'll make my own GTA V, with uhm.. blackjack! And hookers! In fact.. forget the hookers! Ah, screw the whole thing.
    Bender quote, FTW!
    Also, I agree. Buying an empty box only to get a download code in the case? No thanks. This is just another step in not only combating used sales, but trying to eliminate them entirely. And somehow, I doubt a game that will most likely sell as well as GTAV will go without a physical copy. Too many people with tiny 360 HDDs that can't be upgraded would bitch about it, and R* can't ignore their target audience. (Yes, that is a slam against R*)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    i dont mind, i got a 640gb ps3 so no worries
    Yeah, I've got a 640GB drive in my PS3 as well, and it's about half full. If all games started doing this, I'd run out of room real~ fast. And that's not a good thing.

Also, the original article is so full of shit. Acting as if it's something new for DLC to only be available as DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT for a time before it's released on disc, when the fact is that like, 95% of DLC is NEVER released on disc. So of course this isn't new territory for R*, or any other publisher. They've all released DLC that was only available as a f***ing download. And who the hell is Newzoo that we should even care what they have to say?

Lvl 6 - Silver

No disc= no purchase from me.

Couldnt agree more.
    Im not wasting my time downloading a game I just purchased, and they wouldnt be small downloads either...and too bad when you machine dies (almost a garuntee these days) because you will be downloading everthing again
    I know alot of people including myself purchase a large number of games, meaning a HDD wont be able to hold every game you own. Instead of just popping in discs whenever you wanted to play an old game again, you will have to constantly delete and re-download. Fuck that.

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Regional Manager of War

NAH..... I like buying my games new and unwrapping the plastic, it makes it fell like Christmas all the time , these downloads won't be small either, InFamous 2 was 12 GB download I believe.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Doom will drop a Latverian ban hammer on GTA if this whole digital only thing turns out to be true.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Scotch and Pain Killers

So there will still be cases in retail stores, but the disc will be replaced with a code inside of the box?

It could be an annoyance, and i'd rather have discs.. but if this happens, there's nothing we can do about it.

I'll still be Gaming either way.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Noooo really hope that there will be a disc version. Think it's much better of you have something in your hands..

Up the Irons!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    Yeh cos clearly they'll pass those savings onto us...

Anyways I really don't see this happening, it's far too big a game to take that kind of gamble on.
    Completely agree.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunterInc View Post
    So there will still be cases in retail stores, but the disc will be replaced with a code inside of the box?

It could be an annoyance, and i'd rather have discs.. but if this happens, there's nothing we can do about it.

I'll still be Gaming either way.
    I was thinking the same thing.

If this happens, I hope it doesn't catch on :stare:

PRO Member

I'm not sure companies should be rushing to eliminate boxed games.

Particularly in this instance, basically they are still making a box just not printing a disc? So let me get this straight, Rockstar is going to spend 70% of the distribution costs to make a box and get it on the shelves, then put in a code.

Yeah, thats going to fail horribly. People will still buy the game, but nobody will like it, its not smart either since the box and the printing is where most of your money is spent. The actual disc is only about 25-30% of the cost.

Moreover, how many people will be upset because they open the game only to turn around and download a 8-15 GB game?

I just don't think this is a good idea, I'd definitely do a DD release, but just make a box game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    Yeh cos clearly they'll pass those savings onto us...

Anyways I really don't see this happening, it's far too big a game to take that kind of gamble on.
    I think you are under-estimating competition.

If a publisher can save 10 bucks on something and pass that savings onto the customer, yeah it means they make less money per game... But if they sell a couple hundred-thousand more copies the first week as a result, they've made more money in total.

Running a good business is not about maximizing your profit per product (atleast for most businesses), its about maximizing your profit overall.

The best way, in most industries, to maximize your overall profit is to run with as tight a profit margin as you can because the #1 complaint every customer will make is how much money they spend, lower prices = more customer ALWAYS.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but if you don't believe this... You're pretty ignorant.

It won't happen overnight obviously, as I've said before there will be that transitional period where prices won't change, but once DD comprises the vast majority of sales... Prices will change.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 6 - Silver

now thats some bull right there
    paying 60 bucks just for a box bull
    betray someone to understand my reason (everyone should take a hear)

Plats
    YouTube

Lvl 3 - Bronze

There is no chance that anyone is going to try digital releases only again in this generation for full scale retail games, especially those the size of GTA V. The fact is that the PSP Go tried this for a whole console and failed.
    Additionally, no console on this generation has enough space on the HDD to be able to do this for lots of games - perhaps in the next generation consoles we will get 1TB+ HDDs?
    Sig and Avatar made by ABSTRACT678

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I think you are under-estimating competition.

If a publisher can save 10 bucks on something and pass that savings onto the customer, yeah it means they make less money per game... But if they sell a couple hundred-thousand more copies the first week as a result, they've made more money in total.

Running a good business is not about maximizing your profit per product (atleast for most businesses), its about maximizing your profit overall.

The best way, in most industries, to maximize your overall profit is to run with as tight a profit margin as you can because the #1 complaint every customer will make is how much money they spend, lower prices = more customer ALWAYS.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but if you don't believe this... You're pretty ignorant.

It won't happen overnight obviously, as I've said before there will be that transitional period where prices won't change, but once DD comprises the vast majority of sales... Prices will change.
    Well as you said in your post if they are still making and distributing the boxes with just a code in it then the savings would be minimal anyway. A minimal price drop may not lead to the increase in sales needed to increase or even maintain overall profit. Personally, I don't think video games are price-elastic at all, the price drop would have to be pretty considerable to increase sales in any meaningful way.

Also, if they ditch the boxes and just make it DD through the PSN store, then they would have a complete monopoly on the product. As we can see already, the only way to DD PS3 games is through the PSN and it's way overpriced. In the UK FIFA 12 is 57.99 on PSN when you can buy it online new from Amazon or summat for almost 20 quid less.

PRO Member

i can see this happening in perhaps the next generation or maybe the one after that...but not this generation just because of one simple thing...the HDD is not even close to being big enough to hold the amount of all the games a normal gamer buy these days... and that is not just for the PS3 but for every console

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast