Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release

This is a discussion on Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release within the Grand Theft Auto V forum, part of the G; if they dont plan to release it as a disc then it maybe be more than 7GB game maybe this ...

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

if they dont plan to release it as a disc then it maybe be more than 7GB game
    maybe this is some company's way to greatly cut back on the money they lose from used games sales

if it does go digital then why are we paying 60 bucks? i just wanna see the trailer and go on with life
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

INTJ

get with the times.

Physical formats are dying. the Digital age will replace them with downloads and more. Only if we can get the ISP's to take their head out of their ass and upgrade their internet to fiber optic and remove download caps no one would be bitching about this (In Japan, 1GBPS (yes, Gigabyte) is around 90$ a month there.)

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

hopefully it doesnt go download only. imagine the bandwidth it will take and the download speeds if everyone is doing it at the same time

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    get with the times

Physical formats are dying.
    Even if that was true, the hardware and consumers aren't ready for full digital distribution just yet. Once we have a better RAM, better network speeds and larger hard drive's, we'll be more or less ready for it to even begin.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Lvl 1 - Bronze

idc it be digital or disc release as long as gameplay is like GTA IV the Trailer looks sweet it be well worth it.

The Incredible Marccap

ZAVVI in the UK have this for pre-order already for next year. Limited info but no mention of digital so far

GTA: Grand Theft Auto V (5) PS3 | Zavvi.com

Add Me on PSN - Marccap

Lvl 4 - Silver

they won't do that and also i ain't buying him if that happens but i don't think rockstar will start this i think EA will start something like this after 4 years they have made those annoying online passes and EA have done too many money grabs

Lvl 9 - Gold

Cmon really digital release? I hesitate to buy digital games! Now GTA? f that!
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    Not a chance this will happen. Analysts are like clairvoyants. They make a living out of slinging shit to a wall, not only hoping it will stick, but hoping that there are people out there dumb enough to part ways with their cash to hear the type of sound it makes. Occasionally they're right, but hey... some shit is actually sticky.
    hahahaha that made lol ... anyways i think your right ... i dont really want to spend hours waiting to download a game i didnt like getting battlefield 3 and having to install and then wait for the update to install that took about 45 min and i was already annoyed ... i think it should be optional

Lvl 9 - Gold

this will kill there sales bad move rockstar

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by BountyHunterInc View Post
    So there will still be cases in retail stores, but the disc will be replaced with a code inside of the box?

It could be an annoyance, and i'd rather have discs.. but if this happens, there's nothing we can do about it.

I'll still be Gaming either way.
    There is absolutely something we can do about it. Several major national banks just tried forcing monthly fees on debit card usage in the US, and due to the sheer amount of bitching and backlash from consumers, every single bank that had started charging the fee, or was planning to, has canceled it and are refunding the fees. If every person in here who is actually against DD-only releases boycotted this game (and the non-vocal majority of gamers who aren't on this site did the same), R* would be forced to release a real disc copy of the game if they wanted the sales numbers they're probably going to expect. I'm sure there will be plenty of other worthwhile games releasing whenever GTAV does that gamers could play if this actually happens, until R* sees the light and releases a physical copy.

get with the times.

Physical formats are dying. the Digital age will replace them with downloads and more.
    Wow... I haven't been hearing this for the last 5 years, and it always being completely false. If the responses in this thread are anything to go by, not to mention the majority of gamers I know in real life who would be against this, I'd say physical formats are still plenty alive, and in much demand. The digital age is already upon us, and it hasn't replaced the physical. And it will be a long time before it does. And R* will not be leading the charge. It'll be the movie studios. But they're smart enough to know that there are lots of households without the HDD space, internet speed, or both, to handle digital-only media. Until a lot of things in this country change, not just the average internet speed, an all-digital age will never happen.

PRO Member

get with the times.

Physical formats are dying. the Digital age will replace them with downloads and more. Only if we can get the ISP's to take their head out of their ass and upgrade their internet to fiber optic and remove download caps no one would be bitching about this (In Japan, 1GBPS (yes, Gigabyte) is around 90$ a month there.)
    1) Physical formats are dying... kind of. I think its better to say they are sick. They aren't yet at a point where they are in the hospital or on life-support. They still account for the majority of sales in the video-game world, even with PC and DLC.

Digital formats are gaining ground, but its not been enough to say physical formats are dying.

In the PC arena its still close to 50/50 split over DD/Physical, and unfortunately for your argument over the entire industry only accounts for about 20% of total revenue.

That number will go up, but until it gets to around 50/50 will you see much more push, and thats still a gaming generation away.

Moreover the implication here is that it will be ENTIRELY DD. Thats still relatively unheard of even in the PC arena, and games on consoles that do both retail and PSN releases haven't seen success on the PSN end.

2) I love you sometimes. "If only we can get ISPs to take their heat out of their asses and upgrade their internet to fiber optic and remove download caps no one would be bitching about this."

To explain to you where this is wrong would take me 3 and a half pages... I don't feel like typing that all out, because the reality is no one will read it, but basically you are saying this:

"If only ISPs would get their heads out of their asses and spend several billion dollars upgrading the fiber optic despite the fact its not solidified as the next technology, is not robust enough to stretch the physical distances our country needs yet, and has no dedicated standard and removed the download caps imposed because bandwidth in this country is significantly more limited due to distances and lack of population density... We could move on and get DD."

You are aware that the suggestion you just made is not actually possible overnight, is not cheap, and I'd argue given the size of our country may not be the best idea right this second.

Now I know Google has invested alot into 1 Gbps fiber optics, but keep in mind they are very expensive and highly localized. When you start traversing large distances you have to deal with a phenomena called disperson, this generally limits the amount of length fiber can be laid before laying down pricey amplifiers, its particularly difficult for fiber which uses multiple wavelengths of light multiplexed as dispersion is wavelength dependent (meaning reds, greens, and blues will disperse at different rates and as a result information may suffer significant and irreparable degradation).

Fiber Optics is likely the future of ISPs, but I think its too expensive and experimental for anyone to jump on board and say "OMG! WE MUST DO NOW!!!!1one!"

There has yet to be a standard communication protocol set (a huge problem), and they still need to solidify a system for upgrading these areas (keep in mind that copper and fiber don't talk easily) because in most cases you'll still be bottlenecked by the regular lines, and that's completely ignoring the 800-lb gorilla: The several billion dollar price tag of this all.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Gotham's Reckoning

That would be a very bad move as it would take forever to download it depending on how much space it takes up and sone people may not have a fast internet connection or even have an internet connection at all.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Plats-O'-War!!

A game as big and popular as GTA should be on disc. It's not fair to those who are incapable of downloading anything. This would be a very bad idea.............

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Making GTAV digital release only would suck all kinds of balls.

Bring the jetpack back and I won't complain at all, while I buy another PlayStation 3...
    A PlayStation 3 World Warrior

I love to play Street Fighter and The King of Fighters

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Maybe the game will come with a code for a future DLC, but this 'analyst' or whatever, got his shit mixed.

Lvl 7 - Gold

i doubt rockstar will do this. i prefer physical copy over digital any day of the week

Ghost Assassin

Digital only is definitely not the way to go. Physical copies are always there on hand and you give a better feel of ownership. I also find that I'm more likely to play a game when I have the physical copy. Downloadable games are not a very suitable option for me. As games evolve, they will most likely take up more space and use more bandwidth to download. Take Rage for example, it takes 25gigs. That's 26% of my bandwidth for one game. In short, I prefer physical copies over digital copies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't like this. The buyer wont be able to return or trade in the game.

Banned

Download only? Aw, come on...you had my hopes up, Rockstar.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast