Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release

This is a discussion on Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release within the Grand Theft Auto V forum, part of the G; This cannot be happening. I really want to play this game and I am willing to buy it but it ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

This cannot be happening. I really want to play this game and I am willing to buy it but it won't feel "right" if I don't get the disc with it. Definitely a very bad idea based on the community.
    PS3Trophies - Member Since January 2010

Currently Playing: CoD 5 - World at War & Uncharted 2

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release
    Does digital mean like PSN? As if I bought Renegade Ops resulting in a download for it.
    Whenever that day comes, which I'm sure it somewhat will than mark it as the complete end of gaming for me but I just don't see how it would fully become a reality since not everyone in the world has the internet to download things.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 9 - Gold

But maybe the same reason why it's a risk is why it might succeed, being such a huge game as it is, I'm sure if it was the only way to buy it people would indeed buy it. I don't like the idea, but if it was the only way to play it I would have to get it that way. In any case there's no way I'm playing this on a console, it cries out for Pc, and I think Steam will be the way to go....

plus that way I don't worry about the annoying multiplayer Trophies

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

Report: Used and digital sales make up 35% of total console spending in the US | Joystiq

Since its relevant to this conversation and proof that this would be a stupid business move:

Digitally distributed titles rank lower in both regions, taking up 12 percent of the console market in America and 9 percent in Europe. That 12 percent, by the way, represents approximately $960 million, on account of 54 percent of American console owners reportedly spending an average of $49 a year on console downloads.
    Sounds like alot of money, but DD titles account for only 12% of the US market sales...

DD is just not far enough along to try this Rockstar. I'd do both DD and Physical.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

No thanks to downloading close to 50 gigs to my hard drive. Downloading and installing DCUO took hours and hours and it was only 14 gigs or so.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

thats a load of shit. i doubt they will do it this gen as itll take years for some people to dl. (because not everyone has 1000000000000000000mbps internet.) and people saying its going to be 7GB itll prob be bigger. meaning xbox need multiple disc. XD suck it haha XD

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Retarded idea is retarded.
    1. Others have said things about the tremendous download time. With the expectations everyone has for this game, it'll easily be over 10GB, most people have 10MB/s download rate IF they're lucky, it's usually like 4. 10,240MB with a 4MB/s download rate = almost 45 minutes to download an entire game, THEN install it. Lame. And this is only if the game is an even 10GB, which is unlikely to happen, so we're looking at maybe an hour or more.
    2. No price drop, what company in their right mind would reduce the price of a game they know has a shit load of hype?
    3. Not everyone has an internet connection on their consoles, so that would be a bad move on their part. They'd actually lose money rather than get more.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget I Was Ever Here

I wouldn't buy it if it weren't disc based…..

It is time for me to go underground

Ice Cream Firefighter

the only reason they want to do something like this is because the pre-owned industry has bent the developers over & screwed them out of making a decent profit or even a profit at all

THQ lost $140mil last year while Gameshop/Electronics Boutique made a profit of over $1bill now tell me who deserves the money more the people who made the games or the people like me who stand behind a shop counter twitching their fingers, I walked into my shop the other day & here is one of my employees sitting on his ass reading a game informer magazine I ripped him a new one & made the 17yr old & quit good riddance to bad rubbish I say

but I like to display my games so I dislike the idea, but if they brought out the option of a disc based game that can only be played by the original user who installed the game so it goes by their PSN log-in I would be all for that as I keep all my games anyway

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 7 - Gold

yep not everyone will enjoy downloading the game
    disc please

Lvl 1 - Bronze

GTA:V should just be a PS3 exclusive, unless Xbox"ers" want to play it on 5 discs or use up all their HD space
    Accepts All Adds! Killah184

INTJ

why didn't you listen to me

i told you the digital age is coming

im just glad rockstar is the one that is helping push it with valve

Lvl 4 - Silver

If they did, then it's a no sale for me. One of the things I love about GTA is opening the case, and then unfolding the map and reading through the booklet, before unleashing hell on the game.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Literally just got excited for this, now I hear it may be digital only? Fuck that shit.

I'm hoping this is just PC only digital download...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Literally just got excited for this, now I hear it may be digital only? Fuck that shit.

I'm hoping this is just PC only digital download...
    No PC version has been announced yet.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Screw it. I'm not spending hours downloading a 7GB game instead of playing it right away. Also, once you use the code the game's tied to your account. If it gets closed for whatever reason, you lose everything, including downloaded games.

No disc= no purchase from me.

Yeah, while waiting for my data to transfer from my new ps3 to my old ps3 with a new larger hard drive; I waited two and a half days for it to complete. Two and a half days that I could use my tv for anything. I don't have cable so my ps3 is my dvd/bd player and netflix for the whole family.

DON'T TAKE MY DISK MAN!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    the only reason they want to do something like this is because the pre-owned industry has bent the developers over & screwed them out of making a decent profit or even a profit at all

THQ lost $140mil last year while Gameshop/Electronics Boutique made a profit of over $1bill now tell me who deserves the money more the people who made the games or the people like me who stand behind a shop counter twitching their fingers, I walked into my shop the other day & here is one of my employees sitting on his ass reading a game informer magazine I ripped him a new one & made the 17yr old & quit good riddance to bad rubbish I say

but I like to display my games so I dislike the idea, but if they brought out the option of a disc based game that can only be played by the original user who installed the game so it goes by their PSN log-in I would be all for that as I keep all my games anyway
    People buy used games 'cause they can't afford or don't want to pay the new game prices. There are a lot of games I haven't bought just because it's not worth $60 to me to buy a game that I don't know if I will like. I hear great things about games like DuesEX. But waited until I could find it for $20 because I just don't know if I'm going to like it. I did finaly buy it but still haven't played it!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

wont be a problem for most people if devs move in this direction but what about ppl without internet??? probly not many but i do know ppl wih consoles and no net connection! also as already been pointed out i dont want download a massive file they take ages on ps3 i've got a fast connection speed but downloads on ps3 take forever and what about the ppl who have slow connection speeds, personally i think a game disk in a box is much better then a download code, maybe we should have a choice, and what happens if you get ylod after download is your game lost forever???

Lvl 8 - Gold

Come on guys, it's not going do be digital ONLY. Not even a big name like GTA can usher in an era of digital only distribution just yet.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    No PC version has been announced yet.
    Oh I thought it had been announced.

Eugh, just hate the idea of digital only for this game...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast