Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release

This is a discussion on Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release within the Grand Theft Auto V forum, part of the G; The trailer for the highly anticipated Grand Theft Auto V is set to be revealed tomorrow along with details of ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Grand Theft Auto V May Be Digital Only Release

The trailer for the highly anticipated Grand Theft Auto V is set to be revealed tomorrow along with details of platform confirmations and a possible release window. According to analysts at Newzoo, one such surprising announcement could be that Grand Theft Auto V will feature no disc, merely a download link in the box when bought in store.
    “The boxed GTA V version will contain a collectible piece of merchandise and a download code,” Newzoo CEO Peter Warman said. “No disc.”
    “There are a lot of reasons why publishers are pushing towards digital distribution of triple A games. Speaking out loud might harm the relationship with retail partners, but the benefits have become too large to remain silent about the desire to go completely digital,” he said.
    “The ultimate objective is to launch games faster, create continuous revenues on a title and simply to make more money. Will retail disappear from the picture? Of course not. Retail will always remain an important channel to promote and distribute games. Retail has a strong hand to play when it comes to eyeballs and…boxes make a nice gift. Boxed games will not disappear, but what is in the box will.”
    This isn’t new territory for Rockstar either, don’t forget that the two DLC’s for Grand Theft Auto IV, The Lost and the Dammed and The Ballad of Gay Tony were available on XBLA months before retail versions were released in shops. Whether we will see that trend continuing with GTA V remains to be seen but be sure to check back for the trailer tomorrow to find out.
    Now I'm wondering if the next console generation will have where you can insert disc. Opening a new game and seeing the game disc will never feel the same when seeing your dowload code :stare: What do you guys think ?
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

Lvl 8 - Gold

Screw it. I'm not spending hours downloading a 7GB game instead of playing it right away. Also, once you use the code the game's tied to your account. If it gets closed for whatever reason, you lose everything, including downloaded games.

No disc= no purchase from me.

Resident PHD

I think it is a bad idea. Especially a game as large as GTA, that will eat up your hard drive space and take forever to download.

We will see how this progresses but I can't see this happening, at least not this gen.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Black Queen Style

No manufacturing should result in cheaper games. It would be strange at first but I don't mind saving money.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ShindaUsagi View Post
    No manufacturing should result in cheaper games. It would be strange at first but I don't mind saving money.
    Yeh cos clearly they'll pass those savings onto us...

Anyways I really don't see this happening, it's far too big a game to take that kind of gamble on.

Black Queen Style

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post

Anyways I really don't see this happening, it's far too big a game to take that kind of gamble on.
    I would certainly hope it would. But like many have eluded to, this probably won't happen during this generation of consoles. But I can certainly see it happening in the not so far future.

Player Hater

Not a chance this will happen. Analysts are like clairvoyants. They make a living out of slinging shit to a wall, not only hoping it will stick, but hoping that there are people out there dumb enough to part ways with their cash to hear the type of sound it makes. Occasionally they're right, but hey... some shit is actually sticky.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post

LOL, that. Completely agree. If there's a way they could save money, they wouldn't just up and lose that profit by making the games cheaper. As for it being digital, that would really be a terrible idea...as others have mentioned the download time would be tremendous...and unfortunately not everyone has that kind of space either id imagine lol. if they found a way to make it work instantly without download (doubt it) id be all up for it. On another note, im excited to see a trailer for gta 5, so i can shut my friend up about saints row 3, who thinks that game is godly, but thats a different topic altogether.

Identity Overload

I don't think digital only will ever take hold........even the Liberty City Stories eventually came out with a disc version and then all three games on one disc. Furthermore where will preorder sales go? No need to preorder because the game will always be in stock so no point in making all these bonuses.

Although it will make games cheaper so there is a plus

Sig by Prosthetic | Platbar by In2 | Avatar by Alison

Huge Gaming Backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Screw it. I'm not spending hours downloading a 7GB game instead of playing it right away. Also, once you use the code the game's tied to your account. If it gets closed for whatever reason, you lose everything, including downloaded games.

No disc= no purchase from me.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

It's always about making more money.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

But, but, but what about the map you always get of the city?

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    But, but, but what about the map you always get of the city?
    guess u'll have to go back to relying on where the stars are

PRO Member

They could make the game only playable after I swallow the red pill and crap out the case, I'm playing GTA IV.

Whilst I prefer disk for obvious reasons, I dont mind, but this is just another method of cutting out pre-owned games

PRO Member

The trailer is not gonna give us crap except views of the city and the main protagonist just like the GTA4 announcement trailer. It is not going to give us any release window or anything useful. Not saying that that is a bad thing it just seems like everyone thinks we are going to get every single piece of information from this trailer. Also there is no way GTAV will be digital only. That would be an emormous download.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 7 - Gold

No physical media? No thanks! And who the hell are newzoo to make such claims?! I'll make my own GTA V, with uhm.. blackjack! And hookers! In fact.. forget the hookers! Ah, screw the whole thing.

Legalize it...

I dont like this idea. Hopefully they change their minds if it is true...

PRO Member

Lol, this definitely won't happen. We won't see massive titles going digital only on consoles for a while, there will still be a disk version once bigger games do starting going digital though. But for GTA V? definitely not happening.

PSN: CasualStorm
    Steam: CasualStorm
    My Blog: PlayStation Room | Gaming News, Articles & Reports

Buy my book, Alteration

Oh man I hope not. That won't be good.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Fuck that, gimme a physical copy.

Crocodile Hunter

i dnt think R* would dare do that, too many people dont have or cant get access to online let alone have enough bandwidth for a roughly 7GB game

Sig by Apokolypz

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast