Hitman: Absolution has controversial facebook app "Hire A Hitman" pulled after an hour.

This is a discussion on Hitman: Absolution has controversial facebook app "Hire A Hitman" pulled after an hour. within the Hitman: Absolution forum, part of the H; Following a controversial Hitman: Absolution trailer that launched earlier this year, Square Enix has once against found itself in hot ...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Hitman: Absolution has controversial facebook app "Hire A Hitman" pulled after an hour.

Following a controversial Hitman: Absolution trailer that launched earlier this year, Square Enix has once against found itself in hot water, thanks to a Hitman Facebook campaign that asked users to call "hits" on their friends.

The 'Hire Hitman' website, which was only live for less than an hour thanks to a flurry of complaints across social media, allowed users to "hit" the Facebook timelines of friends, for having "big ears," "small tits" or "a tiny penis," among other possible selections.

Users would then be able to click on the "hit" on their Facebook wall, click through to the Hitman website, and choose to make a hit back. The link to the campaign now redirects to the series' official website.

Square Enix marketers were trying to be clever in their socially-networked vulgarity, but aside from the tasteless insults, it was the campaign's insensitivity toward the real issue of cyber-bullying that shocked many denizens of the web. Gamasutra has contacted Square Enix querying the move.

The marketing campaign was removed rather swiftly as press, developers and gamers alike took to Twitter and Facebook to note their disgust at the stunt.

Earlier this year, a trailer depicting sexy dominatrix nuns getting violently beaten and killed by Hitman's protagonist caused offense, leading developer IO Interactive to apologize.
    Source: Gamasutra - News - Square Enix cans eyebrow-raising Hitman Facebook marketing campaign

---

I wonder which marketing person, and individual in Square Enix's infrastructure thought this was going to be a good idea. I am sure my cousin would have loved to have a virtual hit against her, and her bust size insulted. Did they really think this would do anything but cause problems?

Guess the game is really enjoying making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This is just absurd, it was good idea and it had potential but those insults are just plain stupid and unnecessary, they could have gone into another direction but why the hell this one?! I'm a Hitman fan but I think this wrong.
    Now the nuns trailer is just pure bs, there have been far worst trailers and games and no one fuzzed about it, but then came along some unhappy religious moms bashing the trailer and Hitman.
    Awesome Sig By Apokolypz

PRO Member

No such thing as bad publicity. Why pay for commercials. LOL Clever idea but that shit doesnt fly anymore with insulting people on the internet. Kids can get in very serious trouble for that stuff. My girl is a teacher I hear about the crap every day.

Banned

Looooooooooooooooooooool
    Cyber bullying at it's finest!

Oh well, a marketing technique is just all that, and it's a pretty good one if you ask me!
    I ain't got no problem with it, it's the internet after all lolol
    Now, off to take out some odd looking tranny, HITMAN STYLE!

Let Me Watch

Hahahahhaah, got a great laugh out of this.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"