View Poll Results: How difficult is it to earn the platinum trophy for this game?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - Very Easy

0 0%
  • 2 - Easy

2 9.09%
  • 3 - Moderate

17 77.27%
  • 4 - Hard

3 13.64%
  • 5 - Very Hard

0 0%

The Official Platinum Difficulty Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on The Official Platinum Difficulty Discussion Thread within the Ico forum, part of the I; This thread is first and foremost a discussion thread , but it also has a poll. Please do not vote ...

Retired TGT Member

The Official Platinum Difficulty Discussion Thread

This thread is first and foremost a discussion thread, but it also has a poll. Please do not vote in the poll until you have earned the platinum trophy for this game. That being said, we invite you to post below and discuss the difficult aspects of the game, even if you do not yet have the platinum trophy in your collection.

When you post, give more than just a number. Give reasons why you feel the game is easy or hard. What parts of the game are easy or hard? Were there collectibles? Were they a pain? Is there a required online component? How easy or hard is the online portion? What is the most frustrating part about the game?

Once you have obtained the platinum trophy, feel free to return to this thread and post your official vote. Say something to the effect of "I give this a 2 because there was only one tough spot and the collectibles were easy to find". At this point, you may also add your vote to the poll.

The poll is public, meaning everyone can see how you vote.

Obvious spamming will not be tolerated. Moderators will take action against obvious spammers as necessary*.

*NOTE: This Official Platinum Difficulty Discussion Thread and others like it constitute an Official Site Feature here at PS3T.com. Misuse of this thread or this poll may count as an abuse of a site feature which is expressly forbidden in the site rules. Moderators will give punishments as necessary.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I give this game a 3 for a couple reasons. One, while it isn't a difficult game to begin with, the AI of your tag-along companion Yorda makes trying to get Castle Guide a joke. She will stand there and refuse to come when you call, climb down a ladder and then before stepping off start climbing up the ladder for no reason. At other times she will walk back and forth in a loop when you are trying to help her up a ledge. But enough about her.

The second reason is that the collectible trophies (Spiked Club and Shinning Sword) were a cinch to locate and obtain. The fact that there were only two should make this an Easy game but reason number one pushes it to a three. The final reason is that the Queen and her one hit kills were annoying. After going through about 12-15 minutes of gameplay without dying and then to die in the final encounter and start back up at the last save point when going for Castle Guide was painful.

Sorry if I wrote to much. Great game, a little dated but an all around moderately difficult little excursion of about 8-10 hours to beat fully

Lvl 4 - Silver

I would say moderate. Most of the Trophies are easy to get, but the two trophies that require you to finish the game in certain time limit can easily offset the game's easiness, especially the Castle Guide trophy. Yorda's AI in the game can sometimes be difficult to call to perform an action, such as jump off from a ledge, etc. Patience and skill are the keys into getting the Platinum of the game.

Game on....

This gets a 'Moderate' rating from me. It would be 'very easy' but the 'castle guide' trophy pushes the difficulty up to 'Moderate'.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Moderate

At least for the first play through which took me in the neighborhood of six hours. I did have some problems with Yorda and her path finding. Ico had his own problems with control at times, but nothing that takes away from enjoying the game. I'd up the difficulty to Hard for the Castle Guide (clear under two hours) trophy. There's very little margin of error allowed and ample opportunities for mistakes. Even with some of the frustrations, the game is still great deal of fun to play.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

'Moderate' simply because of the Castle Guide trophy. Requires as little mistakes as possible, and Yorda can sometimes do strange things like climbing back up a ladder after reaching the bottom. Other than that, it is often very stressful and not good for your heart as you finish the final section without any save point, and praying that you still finish under 2 hours.

But the rest of the trophies are easy and straightforward. As long as you follow the speed run videos, you will be fine. Neither too easy nor too hard. =3
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Royal Flush X2

3 Moderate This game is short and most trophies are story related. There's a few missible trophies but are not too hard to find. What's makes this moderate is Castle Guide. The game must be beaten in under 2 hrs and very little room for error and you must know the whole game well and having to get use to the Yorda who sometimes doesn't respond well. Only because of this trophy why this is moderate but this is a fast game plat.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm actually rating this as Easy. The Castle Guide trophy is the only thing keeping it from being Very Easy, in my opinion. If you're trying to do everything in a single playthrough, then yes, you're artificially increasing the difficulty of the platinum, but if you go for multiple playthroughs, it isn't that hard. Your first run should just be to finish the game, which means learn the puzzle solutions, and that the Queen can one-hit kill you. But if she does, you can reload from the beginning of the fight. The only time her one-hit kill is an issue is if you're going for the Unscathed Escape. But as long as you do that on a separate playthrough so you know her attack frequency, then this isn't even an issue. And if you use the speedrun videos when you're going for the 2-hour mark, then you're barely dealing with Yorda at all, as you leave her standing by herself for 10-15 minutes at a time. Just save in key places and reload if you fail a section. It takes a while this way, but I had a final time of around 1:45 or so by doing this.
    All in all, a few trophies that take some skill and luck, but nothing that's out of reach of even the most casual gamer.

Legalize it...

Just youtubed this...Wish I would have done it when it was on sale for $25, it looks awesome...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Moderate the game is actually easy to plat especially all the trophies are story-related only problem is beating the game within 2 hours..

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Easy game apart from the Castle Guide trophy.
    To beat Castle Guide you would want to have saved your game at the Main Gate by the latest time of 1:25:20 to have a realistic chance, then you will need as close to a perfect run as possible through the last portion of the game, using all known short cuts without any missed jumps etc, beating the 50+ black ghosts and the Queen Boss, then waking up on the beach and running over to Yorda.
    I just scraped in at 1:58:07, but I suffered a slight glitch against the black ghosts which cost me around 20 sec [cost me many failed attempts till I twigged what was happening], which I'll post a warning about in a separate thread.

PRO Member

Moderate, for the same reasons as every one above said. Castle Guide was kind of annoying, Yorda suddenly seeing something shiny at the bottom of the ladder she just climbed and going back down before I could grab her hand ("Ooh, a penny!"), and the Queen's one-hit kills.

Though, because of a hard drive fail, I actually finished this game about 8 times total (3 times all the way through) so by the time I got the Plat, I had the game down pretty well.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm going with easy, because even though Castle Guide can be a pain, it still doesn't take more than a few days to get the platinum. There were sometimes when I got frustrated, but it is still easy compared to a lot of platinums and takes wat less time. Good luck everyone!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

3 Moderate ~ as with everybody else castle guide is the only difficult trophy, that said I managed this first time by following the video, I got lucky in the sewers somehow managed to get the girl inside the grate whilst locking myself out, so just climbed the chain and went to the hole to get her out, my time at the main gate was 1.23, near perfect run in from there, I also beat the 50 odd ghosts quicker than the video by going down the first few stairs backed into a corner, the ghost just keep flying in behind you for easy kills, no idea what final time was which is a bit of a pisser, anyway great game , good luck!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I voted 3 moderate. The castle guide trophy was a little pain in the a, but not as bad as i feared.. Really great game, people should give it a try.

JE9
    Lvl 3 - Bronze

I never played the game before now, and even with that being so I still found this platinum to be pretty avarage, more easy than not, even with the Castle Guide trophy. It really took mee 2 walkthroughs to get.

3/5 Average

PRO Member

Finally got it 100%. I have never played such a long freaking 2 hours as that castle guide trophy. I now have a love hate relationship with this game. Great story, lots of awesome little details that give it so much more depth and my view of Yorda got a lot less harsh and judgmental the more I began to understand what her life's been like. That being said. I absolutely loathe and detest her A.I., the glitched controls and god awful camera views. There were times I was fit to be tied watching her go up and down a ladder 3 times before she picked a direction(and of course it was the opposite direction I needed her to go). If not for those problems I'd have rated it easy but with all the issues I'm going with hard.