KoA: Reckoning Hard Mode Impressions (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)

This is a discussion on KoA: Reckoning Hard Mode Impressions (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE) within the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning forum, part of the K; So, since there's a Hard mode trophy, and I'd already played through the demo twice on Normal, I thought I'd ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

KoA: Reckoning Hard Mode Impressions (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)

So, since there's a Hard mode trophy, and I'd already played through the demo twice on Normal, I thought I'd take the leap and go for Hard on my first playthrough to get the trophy out of the way, since I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all the various crafting and skill related trophies in one playthrough. Having just played through the opening segment again, up through the Troll fight, I have to say, Hard isn't really all that hard. Efficient use of dodging, short attack chains, etc. make this feel like it will be one of the easier Hard mode trophies out there.
    What are your opinions, for those who've had a go at it?

*I'll probably update this post with any relevant information I or others discover as we play through the game.*

EDIT 1: So, having played it a bit more, I still stand by my first impressions. Hard mode isn't all that hard. The only thing to watch out for is trap chains, which will decimate you if you get hit by several in a row. Other than that, just a fun playthrough so far.

EDIT 2: After my first time dying in a boss fight, it seems that if you saved right before the fight, the game gives you back any items you used before you died and restores your health as well, but the boss's health remains at whatever you got them down to before dying. Essentially, as long as you don't give up, any boss can be beat, as long as you save right before them and make some progress towards killing them each time. Interesting...
    Last edited by AizawaYuuichi; 02-08-2012 at 10:26 PM.

DON'T BLINK

You've only pretty much played the tutorial section on hard mode, of course it isn't going to be that hard. Put a few more hours into it first

Lvl 7 - Gold

I have to stay away from all Kingdoms of Amalur threads, starting now, can't have anything spoiled!
    But I have a feeling it will start getting hard soon. You're still in the tutorial.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Harvester of Souls

Been playing through game a bit.. and hard isn't too bad from experience so far. Besides it's an RPG so level up and becomes easier. Not like most games where hard is gonna be hard no matter where your character is... least with this you can improve and become better all the time.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by iToxicityHD View Post
    I have to stay away from all Kingdoms of Amalur threads, starting now, can't have anything spoiled!
    But I have a feeling it will start getting hard soon. You're still in the tutorial.
    You should be safe to read this thread, if you so desire. The intent here isn't to spoil story elements. It's more about people's techniques for dealing with the difficulty level, or if they even find it particularly difficult to begin with, which I'm not. Obviously if you have no interest in this thread, feel free to ignore it.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

i think when i get this i will go for hard from the beginning since from the reviews ive read there doesnt seem to be much replay value so i dont think ill be playing this twice

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    i think when i get this i will go for hard from the beginning since from the reviews ive read there doesnt seem to be much replay value so i dont think ill be playing this twice
    Yeah, after playing a bit more, it seems all the trophies are achievable in one playthrough, as long as you get the "successful persuasions" trophy out of the way early, as you can restat your character to get all the other "top-tier" skill-based trophies, or the collectibles.

Harvester of Souls

O_O.. so far unaware of the Update Edit for OP about boss' health staying down when you die and all. Only died once thus far, but was assing around anyways but had to reload from back further and not during a fight however.

Going to test this out myself shortly, but was it involved in the tutorial or next battles afterward? Curious.

Noticed that on hard mode, seems getting better gear sooner than on my normal run. Playing through as two different characters atm testing it out and toying around with different aspects of the game. Also, enemies tend to attack more frequently and do more damage which to be expected. Most trouble comes from packs of enemies. Tip: If ya can single out the enemies, helps loads more on hard. Such as sniping off a wolf or two from distance so they don't gang up on you. Stealth mode FTW!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    O_O.. so far unaware of the Update Edit for OP about boss' health staying down when you die and all. Only died once thus far, but was assing around anyways but had to reload from back further and not during a fight however.

Going to test this out myself shortly, but was it involved in the tutorial or next battles afterward? Curious.
    This was much later,

Toggle Spoiler

I saved directly before entering the "battle zone", and upon dying, reloaded that save. Upon running back into the zone, I noticed the boss's health bar appear on-screen, then it looked as if it took damage and it dropped all the way down to where I'd gotten it before I died. I've only seen this happen the one time, so I'm not sure if it was a glitch, or an intended feature.

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Noticed that on hard mode, seems getting better gear sooner than on my normal run. Playing through as two different characters atm testing it out and toying around with different aspects of the game. Also, enemies tend to attack more frequently and do more damage which to be expected. Most trouble comes from packs of enemies. Tip: If ya can single out the enemies, helps loads more on hard. Such as sniping off a wolf or two from distance so they don't gang up on you. Stealth mode FTW!
    Yes, yes, yes! I'm finding that crowd control is a must. Especially on Hard mode. And I think that a near-pure Rogue build (Finesse) is probably the worst possible play-style for Hard, as you don't have many abilities that are useful against crowds. Efficient usage of traps and Shadow Flare for staggering have saved me on more than one occasion, when facing multiple larger enemies. I've been tempted to restart the game and aim for more of a mage build, but after almost 30 hours, I think I'm going to stick it out until I hit level 16, use saves and Fateweaving to unlock several of the crafting trophies, then restat as a mage-build after finding some good armor to switch into. Unless I find that the later skills in the Finesse skill line make it easier to take on groups of enemies.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It has been awhile since I played Demon's Souls (haven't gotten to Dark Souls yet) but this game doesn't hold a candle to that. Chakram's are pretty much a get out of trouble button and I haven't found anything yet able to kill me (only 4 hours in mind you).

I suppose Dark Souls may be a bad example, this plays and feels more like Dungeon Siege 3 which was still much much harder on the toughest setting. Then again I have taken to playing a Warrior / Mage but still find myself using sneak when able so maybe I'm just making the most of what is available.

Harvester of Souls

The Faeblades help for crowd control some, just seem bit weaker than rushing in with a hammer and swinging around like a wild man haha. I've been using a mix of all really, sneaking in to take out one or two while blasting back enemies with abilities and spells and meleeing with longsword/hammers switching around as needing.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've found that as I level up more and dump more points into Finesse, not just the new skills, but a lot of the upgrades make the earlier skills really powerful. I find myself staggering/poisoning/crit-ing enemies constantly, and laying traps along bottle-necked areas is super useful. So, it seems 3 8 and Big Huge actually did a really good job balancing the game for all playstyles.
    I'm loving how big the world is and how unique the areas are as you run across the continent. Honestly, I feel it's giving Skyrim a run for its money in "epicness".

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Once you start getting better skills and better at making kick-ass armor, or armor with lots of slots for gems, it makes Hard mode pretty easy.

Wasn't till around lvl 20-25 for me when everything started to click and I started to figure everything out and become better.

I started with trying for health regen, but once my levels started to increase I just focused on armor and health. I barely need much regen at all, or even potions.

Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman

I agree with Teddified, around level 20 I had met most monsters and enemies and figured out how they attack and move. By then you realize your damage output based on your skills and you can take advantage of situations based on your build.

did the main story boss with 1 health potion and 1 temp. invincibility potion and that was mainly for a lack of planning on my part. Dodge, shield and play it smart and hard mode doesn't really punish you. The game is fair like that.

The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `Best Trophy Checklist (2014)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)

Currently Playing
    `Batman: Arkham Knight [95%]
    `AC: Syndicate [6%]
    `Helldivers [26%]

Signature & Avatar

`courtesy of DaRe_xLw