The death of KoA: Reckoning 2

This is a discussion on The death of KoA: Reckoning 2 within the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning forum, part of the K; This blows....Reckoning was one of the better new RPGs that I have played and I was looking forward to either ...

Trophy Guide Grand Master

The death of KoA: Reckoning 2

This blows....Reckoning was one of the better new RPGs that I have played and I was looking forward to either more DLC or a sequel

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2 was in "pre-production" at 38 Studios' Big Huge Games in Maryland before all employees were let go last week. Several sources with knowledge of the situation tell Joystiq that the company was in advanced talks with a publisher before the events that led to the dissolution of the team.

Even if the Big Huge Games team could be salvaged under a different banner, it is unlikely that they could work on Reckoning 2. The intellectual property, tech and code (the latter used as a springboard) required to make a sequel is still owned by 38 Studios for the time being, but will likely soon be owned by the state of Rhode Island. Sources close to discussions with Rhode Island tell us that the state's asking price to release assets is too high.

Elements tested for the sequel were higher graphics quality across the board, no loading screens between zones, expanded and improved combat animations, fewer branching quests and greater effect on the world by players.

"We had a good base to work from, and it was going to be all about improving everything," said a source who asked to remain anonymous, given that there's still the slightest chance the project could be salvaged. "We listened carefully to fans and critics and were going to implement everything we possibly could."

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which -- despite what RI Gov. Lincoln Chafee was advised as being a "failure" -- did have a successful launch for a new IP, with 1.2 million units sold over 90 days. We understand that Electronic Arts, the publisher of Reckoning, did pass on the sequel due to executive politics and 38 Studios was shopping around the title.

Speaking to former Big Huge Games employees, we asked what they felt was the most inaccurate portrayal of the 38 Studios implosion by the media. They expressed that Reckoning's development being tied to 38 Studios Rhode Island has been the biggest gaffe.

Former BHG employees repeatedly tell Joystiq that 38 Rhode Island did give info and guidance about the Amalur IP, but it didn't produce any assets for Reckoning. In terms of the day-to-day work, the Rhode Island team "didn't work on it at all."

"Reckoning was developed with EA publishing money, NOT Rhode Island tax dollars," a former BHG employee told us. "It had nothing to do with the $50 million dollars from RI. That money went directly to the MMO project."

The former BHG employees are thankful that 38 Studios purchased the studio in 2009 and saved them. Schilling is commended for his support of the studio. At that time, the MMO 38 Rhode Island had been working on was already in production for three years and it was believed it would launch before Reckoning. That didn't happen and the latest moving target date was June 2013.

At this point, given significant uncertainty about the production tech and Amalur IP, the best a reformed Big Huge Games team could manage is making an RPG with a similar feel but using a different intellectual property (think Demon's Souls to Dark Souls). The team has done it before: when purchased by 38 Studios from THQ, it converted its "Ascendent" RPG to fit the Amalur world.

"Creating Reckoning wasn't a matter of simply replacing some textures and doing a search/replace on names and such," said a former BHG employee, who explained that the conversion required new environments, animations, characters and voice acting. There was a foundation to work with from "Ascendent." It appears the company will have another foundation to work from with Reckoning if the team can reassemble.
    Source: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 2 was in 'pre-production' | Joystiq

Plats-O'-War!!

Wow, that sucks big time. Was hoping for a sequel

Buy my book, Alteration

I figured a sequel wouldn't see the light after the employee washout that went around over there. I only played the demo, wasn't that impressed. Then again it was just a demo...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Leave it to our benevolent, all-powerful government to squelch the sequel because they're a bunch of greedy pigs. Considering the dire financial straits so many states are in, wouldn't it behoove Rhode Island to take what they can get for the intellectual property rights instead of sitting on them because "the offer isn't enough" or whatever garbage their governor is going to spew?
    (this space intentionally left blank)

PRO Member

Yeah that does suck. I enjoyed the game would have liked another.

Someone could still buy all the rights though. Come'on where's EA when you need them!! Kidding
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I only ever played the demo of it but I plan on picking it up once it reaches 20$.

Click-Click-Kaboom

WoW! I can't believe there want be another one. The game was awesome and what a shame.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by njdevil View Post
    Leave it to our benevolent, all-powerful government to squelch the sequel because they're a bunch of greedy pigs. Considering the dire financial straits so many states are in, wouldn't it behoove Rhode Island to take what they can get for the intellectual property rights instead of sitting on them because "the offer isn't enough" or whatever garbage their governor is going to spew?
    You would think that, but people get stupid when money is involved.

Chances are EA or someone will buy it at some point. EA, as an example, can play hardball and just wait. The government cannot wait with their huge debts. I think there will be a KoA2 at some point. We will just have to wait a lot longer now. Just like I think we'll see an LA Noire sequel of sorts after Rockstar bought everything for it.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Prayer Warrior

man this blows. i have KoA in my q for gamefly and i've heard such great things about it and am looking forward to playing it but now it's going to be kind of bitter sweet knowing there will not be another one.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    You would think that, but people get stupid when money is involved.

Chances are EA or someone will buy it at some point. EA, as an example, can play hardball and just wait. The government cannot wait with their huge debts. I think there will be a KoA2 at some point. We will just have to wait a lot longer now. Just like I think we'll see an LA Noire sequel of sorts after Rockstar bought everything for it.
    I never assume that politicians are going to be rational and operate in the same way that a business does. There's a faction that will be concerned with their image over everything else -- and they won't want to be seen as giving anything up, especially to "big business". There's a faction that's simply a conglomerate of pompous asses -- and they're the types that will "stand on principle" even if a deal would be good for the state. Then there's a faction that would simply want to cut the best deal possible right now and grab the cash for whatever. Getting all three of those groups (and all the other splinter factions that make up a government) to go along with one another is like herding cats: now and then you get them all going in the same direction, more or less, but it isn't often and it isn't easy.

I don't know that EA has "all the time in the world" to "wait for the right deal". I imagine that the gaming world would move on to other things if there was too much of a wait, and the "Amalur" name and lore would depreciate in terms of value and cachet as we move further away from the original game. A couple of years from now, an Amalur sequel might be little more than background noise against the rest of the gaming industry.... especially if you get a completely different company and development team making the next game.

From listening to the Rhode Island governor and the remarks that are allegedly coming out of his office, I don't know that there is anything to sell for quite some time.... he sounded very irate at 38 Studios and that leads me to believe he'd play hardball with any potential buyer and ask for the moon. No matter how stupid one assumes the major gaming companies are, I doubt they'd overpay just to get their hands on this.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

illegal in 9 countries

38 Studios digital assets have been valued at roughly $20 million. This includes the MMO that nobody wants to buy, which was the subject of the government loan. Someone will definitely pick up the KoA IP for a song, assuming it's worthwhile publishing another episode.

@Lasombra - Rockstar didn't pick up the facial recognition & animation software, those assets were retained by Team Bondi's sister company, which is still in business. Rockstar has the LA Noire development and publishing rights, but will need to either re-licence the FR stuff or ditch it and create their own animation.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by njdevil View Post
    I don't know that EA has "all the time in the world" to "wait for the right deal". I imagine that the gaming world would move on to other things if there was too much of a wait, and the "Amalur" name and lore would depreciate in terms of value and cachet as we move further away from the original game. A couple of years from now, an Amalur sequel might be little more than background noise against the rest of the gaming industry.... especially if you get a completely different company and development team making the next game.
    @NJ: Exactly, if they wait until the game is background noise then A) they can get it cheap and B) it won't be rehashed every year ala AC or the like. They can wait.

@Ant: I stand corrected, but considering how everyone was raving about the facial recognition I think if Rockstar did a new LA Noire-esque game they would re-hire that facial recognition studio.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

The Temple of the King

Not surprising, since the entire house was cleared out a few days ago. It's a shame how badly mismanaged or how bad luck can affect a company.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Lvl 9 - Gold

EA = Early Administration for all companies that try and make new IPs for them? lol