Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KoA: Reckoning Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on KoA: Reckoning Demo Impressions within the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning forum, part of the K; Some of you may have realised by now that the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is now available for ...

Nope, nothing

KoA: Reckoning Demo Impressions

Some of you may have realised by now that the demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is now available for download on the US PSN
    I'm currently downloading it and the file size is 2594mb

So anyway, what are your thoughts on the demo? Is it as good as you'd hoped, or much better than expected? Or even just shite Let everyone know.

Plats-O'-War!!

Dammit!! I almost forgot about the demo! will download it in a few.

DON'T BLINK

So good. So very very good. I would love to play it more but I've been up since 4 am and find myself just falling asleep whilst playing. One of those where an NPC is talking to you and your eyes start closing and your head starts drooping and then you wake up and realize the NPC is waiting for a response and you have to wonder how long he's just been staring at you....

PRO Member

Damn, thanks for reminding me, impressions forth coming

Plats-O'-War!!

Finally downloading it! Will leave impression tomorrow.

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    So good. So very very good. I would love to play it more but I've been up since 4 am and find myself just falling asleep whilst playing. One of those where an NPC is talking to you and your eyes start closing and your head starts drooping and then you wake up and realize the NPC is waiting for a response and you have to wonder how long he's just been staring at you....
    It does seem pretty cool so far but like you I could do with getting some sleep...and I quit the game and it doesn't save your progress at all, oh well.

A couple of little things I noticed, the bow doesn't seem very good for aiming, I wanted to go for an enemy and it wanted me to fire at a box instead because it was closer.
    And to be really picky, I don't like how your weapons/shield are just hidden and appear out of nowhere when you want to use them, not a big deal but little things like this do matter to me. Although it won't change my decision about buying it.

Oh and one more thing, the demo is at the start of the game so that's cool

More from me about it when I finish the demo tomorrow

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I thought the demo was pretty good, I had fun with it. The combat was familiar and my tank build wiped the floor with all the enemies, but maybe all the time I spent with Dark Souls had something to do with that. I did experience a few texture issues and I fell through the floor once in tutorial, but it was nothing too bad. The one major problem I did run into was the game would skip through the dialog of a lot of the NPCs I talked to and go straight to my part of the conversation. I missed a lot of the story because of this, and had to find out what was going on by reading the quest descriptions. But, like I said, I had fun with the demo and I am looking forward to playing the full game.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Pretty damn good demo so far. I've finished the normal pathway til your told you got 45 mins to explore the world. Well I've taken advantage of that and went onward to do quests and other stuff for 45 mins. The weapons and magic system is very nice. The quest system pretty damn good along with the God of War styled combat.

My only concern was I couldn't heal my curse when I visted the healer and the graphics & texture bugs.

The rewards for ME 3 and the game itself was well worth it. I've pre-ordered the game before and was right doing it. I can't wait for ME 3 demo so I get some free stuff for this game. I'm playing this baby when it's out til ME 3 is out.
    Lord Fenton
    Gaming since the days of Kings Quest 3

Working On: Dungeon Defenders and Batman:AC(PS3) and Borderlands (PC Steam) til I start round 2 of my BG:EE good guy this time.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimFenton

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordFenton View Post
    The rewards for ME 3 and the game itself was well worth it. I've pre-ordered the game before and was right doing it. I can't wait for ME 3 demo so I get some free stuff for this game. I'm playing this baby when it's out til ME 3 is out.
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/9006820/1#9006820

Looks like we may have to 1 one week until we can get our Reckoning promotion item
    Last edited by Artemisthemp; 01-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by whitestormy View Post
    The one major problem I did run into was the game would skip through the dialog of a lot of the NPCs I talked to and go straight to my part of the conversation. I missed a lot of the story because of this, and had to find out what was going on by reading the quest descriptions.
    I just experienced this as well and after it happened the sound was all messed up, I could only hear certain things in the game.

Hopefully these sorts of things will be fixed before the game actually comes out.

PRO Member

Very fun game, fast paced, and the combat feels tight and impactful. The graphics are about where you'd expect them to be for a games debut on consoles, it isn't until the sequel, of most games, that we see a jump in graphics. It's kinda like an arcade version of Dark Souls. Fun stuff, can't wait to play the retail release.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Was enjoying the demo until my PS3 froze up on me. I'm not an RPG guy at all, but I was having a lot of fun with it until the freeze.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I played the demo twice ... once as a human-ish male warrior, and again as a female elven thief. As of this post, I havent read up on the specs of the full game, and am just responding to the demo itself.

Some initial thoughts, in no particular order:

a) Arcade vs RPG: Personally, I'm firmly rooted in the RPG genre, and while I enjoyed doing my triple platinum in God of War, I very much prefer ROLE PLAYING over arcade style fighting, the latter of which this game seems to focus overly much on. In other words, it undermines my immersion in the roleplaying when I frequently have to fuxxor around with multi-move special combos and mid-air juggling of enemies, when what I really want to do is explore, interact, create & customize my own posessions and appearance, and make plot decisions that matter. Too much street fighter, and not enough old school roleplaying.

b) Character Customization: Personally, I found the character appearance adjustment code in the demo to be rather anemic ... especially when compared to say, Dragon Age and Skyrim. I was also hoping for more ... a LOT more, regarding variability in the appearance of faces, build, gear, and the ability to create the latter. To heck with using repair kits and adding shards to pre-fab pickups ... I wanna create and enchant my own stuff. Then again, it's just a demo, so perhaps the full game will have a lot more to offer for customizing one's face/build/attire ... but I'm not holding my breath, because if they had it the demo would be showcasing it as a selling point. Oh well.

c) WTH is up with the vacuous breaking of boxes fluff they borrowed from legos and super mario bros ?! Dear Lord, I wish they'd flush that down the crapper where it belongs. Nothing ruins an RPG experience faster for me than being forced to repeatedly do something that's stupid, highly repetive, and makes NO logical sense, just to increment some feeble stat or make something go 'ding'. The one sigma knuckledraggers who coded that need to be neutered so they can't breed.

d) I wish they'd ditch the item wear and repair fluff ... that wore out its welcome in TES4 Oblivion, and I'm glad Skyrim nixed it. Aside from tedium, it adds little to the RPG experience, and is a poor substitute for proper item creation/customization. I hope the full game will let players CREATE rather than merely repair/maintain.

e) I hope they add a first person view with lookaround, because 3rd person only mode feels very limiting.

Overall ... seems like a fun game, but for me it fell a bit short of hopes and expectations. It reminds me of Dungeon Seige, which was hardly a game worthy of emulation.

Color me lukewarm at the moment. I'm in wait and see mode.
    Last edited by ISI-Society; 01-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    ΦBK Phi Beta Kappa society motto: "philosophia biou kybernetes" {love of learning is the guide of life.}
    Amazon Reviewer

Plats-O'-War!!

The demo's pretty good. Love the coloring schemes in the game, it gives it an bright, pretty world (Which I'm totally kool with). I also like how you can have both long range/short range or mid range/long range weapon combos to play with (The fire staff is fun as hell). However, I don't like the targeting system with the arrow. I would love for it to target enemies from long range, instead of getting to mid range to kill an enemy. Love the stealth aspect in the game as well (forgot which race I was playing with). It looks like it going to be a grind spending money in the game, as for every container/chest you find/break, you don't get very much (then again, it's only the demo/beginning of the game. So I'm assuming that you'll find/earn more as you progress) The side quests in the game are pretty good. Got caught up in doing like 5 at a time when I was playing (Guess I can't wait to finally play Skyrim huh? )

Overall:
    The final product is worth playing for any RPG/Open World gamer. And this looks like it won't disappoint.

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

crap! totally forgot to download this game. gona do it now and finish of for the ME promo items :-D

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

Quartercircle Forward.

I decided to cancel my preorder, since the demo was full of bugs and I know it isn't the finished product but I really wanna know if the game will be bug riddled after release...

Lots of sound was missing, dialogue was auto fast forwarding and to top it all off, the game froze on me near the end It does seem really fun, but I don't know if it's worth it or not...

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

Regional Manager of War

Quote Originally Posted by D1mech View Post
    I decided to cancel my preorder, since the demo was full of bugs and I know it isn't the finished product but I really wanna know if the game will be bug riddled after release...

Lots of sound was missing, dialogue was auto fast forwarding and to top it all off, the game froze on me near the end It does seem really fun, but I don't know if it's worth it or not...
    Thats my reason I am not purchasing the game but using Gamefly to my advantage to test the game out first before I purchase. BTW the demo was fun but not sure if its worth $60

PRO Member

Just finished the demo, and I absolutely loved it! I experienced NO bugs (and I played through the 45 minutes of exploration given to you at the end) and loved how much it reminded me of Fable 2 (which is still the only game I've been able to get my wife into).

This may be the first game I preorder in quite a while. And to all the trivial complaints above, I say this: instead of being annoyed about not being able to customize your character's skin color to the EXACT hue you want, try weighing all the positives against the negatives, and see if that pointless crap is REALLY gonna affect your overall enjoyment of the game.
    Last edited by tsuave; 01-21-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

Player Hater

I wish I had the chance to experience the bugs... Each and every time I have tried to load up the demo, it freezes on a black screen and will not progress. I was hoping to try this out, but won't be happening any time soon by the looks of it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Having played around with the demo for a little bit (but still having to do the 45-minute thing for the last bonuses when I get the full game), it was kinda neat. I'm no longer on the fence -- I will get this game when it comes out next month.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast