Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Naughty Dog Rips off a Map from a map maker

This is a discussion on Naughty Dog Rips off a Map from a map maker within the Last of Us, The forum, part of the L; http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/5...9/boston-theft The top image above is apparently a screen capture of a new Playstation 3 game called “The Last of ...

INTJ

Naughty Dog Rips off a Map from a map maker

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/5...9/boston-theft

The top image above is apparently a screen capture of a new Playstation 3 game called “The Last of Us” developed by a company called Naughty Dog and released on June 14, 2013. According to Wikipedia, the game has received several “perfect” scores from game review sites and has had the biggest gaming launch of 2013, with 1.3 million units sold in its first week.

The lower image is, of course, my redesign for the Boston T map, which I first posted on the internet on March 11, 2012. Notice any similarities?

Basically, I’m fucking furious.

For a software developer — especially a big developer working on a blockbuster title like this — to casually appropriate someone else’s work and incorporate it into their game without any discussion with the owner of that work is completely unacceptable. (Not to mention hugely ironic, as the software industry is always complaining about piracy of their work.)

Naughty Dog seems to have known that they couldn’t use the official map without paying a hefty license fee, so it looks like they just went on the internet and found another one. Cos, you know, images on the internet are free for anyone to use, right? Not.

To be clear: at no point have Naughty Dog contacted me about using my intellectual property (this visual representation of the Boston rapid transit network) in their product.

To be even more clear: if you want to use my work commercially, payment before usage is required. If you’re making money from your product, then you can pay me for my work as well.

I am attempting to open communications with them now to ask where they came across the image, how it ended up in their game (with very pointed questions about their approvals and legal process), and what kind of compensation I can expect for the theft of my work.
    the actual public boston map that the actual city uses for comparison:

http://www.mbta.com/images/subway-spider.jpg

so they directly ripped off this person.

You Know You Love Me

I'm very tired, and struggling to stay awake, but a quick glance at the two pictures and I can spot a number of differences. This guy is whiping up a frenzy for no other reason than to make some cash.

If ND really did pinch his work, I hope he's compensated, but it's no cause to be a colossal c**t about it.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If ND really did pinch his work, I hope he's compensated, but it's no cause to be a colossal c**t about it.
    if a company stole something i made and made tons of money off it i would be pissed off too.

apparently he called naughty dog on the phone and they are attempting to push it under the carpet ASAP.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

UPDATE, TUESDAY JUNE 25, 1:00pm: I’ve just spoken with Naughty Dog over the phone in a very constructive conversation. Can’t say more at the moment, but it seems as if matters will be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction shortly. I can say that they do acknowledge their error in using my map and were very apologetic for it. I likewise apologised for my initial vitriolic post. A lot of mutual respect for each other’s creative work.
    It’s been a hell of a last couple of days: thanks for the support from many, and the interesting and varied comments from most.
    Hopefully, back to regularly scheduled Transit Maps content soon!

Looks like everyone will get their happy ending.

You Know You Love Me

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    if a company stole something i made and made tons of money off it i would be pissed off too.
    Yes. You're right. The Last of Us owes all its success to an incredibly accurate map of the Boston metro.

Rangers F.C

I am never playing another ND game in my life, I am outraged
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

O_o

Well the Old North Church can clearly be seen walking through Boston.

I demand our forefathers be compensated.

Lvl 6 - Silver

LOL i KNEW that was the MBTA. I ride it everyday....
    Downtown Crossing here I come

Kid, not loser

So games like True Crime, InFamous 2, Spiderman 2, and many, many others making an accurate version of the city in their game should compensate for it?

I mean hey, every GAME, MOVIE, TATTOO ARTIST that uses the Statue of Liberty should give money to the French then, right?

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Sin is in 10

That map in game is so beautifully translated and crafted. Just seeing it during my playthrough made the whole game a 10/10. Wow that map, I just can't get over it, incredible. Well worth the $60 just to see that splendid piece of work.

Dude needs to get the fuck over himself. Like the map really made the game all it's sales

Sig and Avatar by SideEffect

*insert Latin phrase*

So does every game and movie featuring New York now have to pay for their crime of using New York? I pretty sure no one owns Boston, so...

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ERICVOLTAGE View Post
    Well the Old North Church can clearly be seen walking through Boston.

I demand our forefathers be compensated.
    That actually reminds me of all the ourage that came from the use of Manchester Cathedral in Resistance: Fall of Man. Taking that into consideration, I wouldn't be surprised if someone raged and whined about old North Church being in the game, even id the player doesn't interact directly with it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

First Ellen Page and now this, anyone else furious at the game?

Lvl 7 - Gold

If it makes this guy feel any better....I never even noticed the map..I was probably too busy being sweet and saving Ellie from clickers and the such.
    http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=969355

Cause I'm the Wilt Chamberlin of that upper body grip!

Still the Chocobo

The map is why I bought it.....

Glad they all worked it out though.
    Currently Playing:
    Zombie Tycoon 2
    Brainhov's Revenge

Nothing is true,
    everything is permitted.

Flashy Avatar by K.I.D
    Beautiful Signature by Beam & K.I.D

If I could, I would GLOW

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Looks like everyone will get their happy ending.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Lmao at his change of attitude, they must've paid him good to shut the hell up

Well other than the complaint of taking someone's likeness and map design
    i see no one complaining about the games story so that good
    like have yet to play so I don't know what happens other than the obvious from trailers
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so they directly ripped off this person.
    And you know this how? Were you peering over the level artist's shoulder as he callously and deliberately "stole" this guy's design? Or is it just that, for some reason, you have a chip on your shoulder for The Last of Us?

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I'm not saying he's gold digger, but that cartographer ain't messing with no... we'll you get the point.

Subway maps are shown all the time in travel shows, reality shows, even TV dramas. I am sure this hilariously desperate mapmaker goes and asks for proper retributions there as well.

Successful game is going to have money grubbing hands, just don't be surprised if a new standard is set. That gun? Looks just like a Smith and Wesson M&P 40. That there car? Looks just like our 1997 Hyundai Elantra model. That there cotton swab? With the purple colored stick? Manufactured by Q-tip in 2007. If one person is able to get payment, there will be a long list of people sticking out their hands and wanting handouts.

And guess who ends up paying for the extra bit in the end? The gamers. S

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

#cutformesa

For fuck sake. I used to have a lot of respect for Naughty Dawg with Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank and (most of) Uncharted, but this is just unforgivable. As a reputable artist on the up and coming in Barcelona, who has done similar work to the lad who was ripped off, this infuriates me.

I'll never buy a Naughty Dawg game again.

- PS3T OG -
    All Hail The Eyepat
    "If I find out that LeeMcD slags my good name off to anyone else I will personally track him down and teach the little puff a lesson." - LEE200

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmon133 View Post
    For fuck sake. I used to have a lot of respect for Naughty Dawg with Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank and (most of) Uncharted, but this is just unforgivable. As a reputable artist on the up and coming in Barcelona, who has done similar work to the lad who was ripped off, this infuriates me.

I'll never buy a Naughty Dawg game again.
    I'm sure they'll be devastated to hear that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast