View Poll Results: What class did you choose?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adept

1 3.70%
  • Engineer

3 11.11%
  • Infiltrator

0 0%
  • Sentinel

3 11.11%
  • Soldier

17 62.96%
  • Vanguard

3 11.11%

Which class did you choose (and why)?

This is a discussion on Which class did you choose (and why)? within the Mass Effect 2 forum, part of the M; Poll for what class you played as, if possible what you chose for Insanity. Feel free to post why you ...

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

Which class did you choose (and why)?

Poll for what class you played as, if possible what you chose for Insanity.

Feel free to post why you chose that class, and perhaps share who you chose as squadmates as well.

I went with Vanguard (after deciding against Sentinel), and I'm so glad I chose it. Charge is super good in that it added another dynamic to fights and made quick work of them most of the time. It also makes Shephard seem like a real badass, getting in enemies' faces and blowing them away with a shotgun. Strange, as I usually take my time from behind cover when I play shooters, but charge really switched that up and gave some in-your-face action.

Squadmates I kept it simple, taking Miranda and either Thane or Garrus depending on whether I would be facing organics or synthetics. I did use Mordin, Kasumi and Zaeed a couple times also, but hardly anyone else.
    Last edited by Aipher; 12-28-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I choose an adept because i get a better feel for the game by playing with tactics instead of run and gun. i usually take grunt and miranda with me so that grunt can distract enemies and miranda and i can throw biotics all over the place have not done insanity yet so we will have to see how that goes lol

Lvl 5 - Silver

Sentinal , the shield helped me out many a time,soldier is another good choice, but for my Insanity run it was a carry over of my lvl 28-29 Sentinal,not a new one from start.

cake or death

I'm currently playing ME2 insanity with infiltrator class. Not sure if I chose wisely though

Big thanks to Bladia for awesome sig
    "Unfortunately the Nazi's don't play cricket - if they did, we wouldn't be on opposite sides now."

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I chose Sentinel for Insanity run, it's without a doubt, the best class for Insanity. But I used Adept on my normal playthrough.

Awesome Sig by TheGeneral09

On a Paradise

I choosed Engineer, the droid is very very very very helpfull on Insanity!

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

Now this is Podracing

I played with a Soldier, and switched between all squadmates, until i got to insanity, when i chose a sentinal, and I did the entire run with pretty much Miranda and Garrus. I felt they were the best/most helpful squadmates, and sentinal was ok, especially the shield overload, got me out of many tough spots. Overall was a really enjoyable game to plat

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Soldier. It hust feels right and works real well. Why would I need some "powers" when I've got a shit ton of guns?
    I like Vanguard too though though. Charge is fun to use. I've tried Infiltrator as well. Didn't complete that playthrough though. It was fun for a little while, but really the cloak wasn't very useful and I can snipe ok even without the time slowdown which really is the only real advantage the Infiltrator has.
    Haven't tried the others yet. Just don't seem too interesting to me.

Real Life Alchemist

Soldier FTW I just love assault rifles

Team Dingleberry

Quote Originally Posted by Dondar01 View Post
    Soldier FTW I just love assault rifles
    This. The Mattock is pretty much the only weapon I use.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Soldier, because it is a class that allows you to use a wide array of weapons and useful powers, such as Incendiary Ammo, etc.

Roo Commander

Soldier, can't remember why I chose it but it's good.
    As for squadmates I usually have Miranda and Garrus with me but did switch it up near the end and took Grunt instead of Miranda.

illegal in 9 countries

After using a Soldier to beat ME on 360 and ME2 on PS3 on Hardcore, I grew bored and decided to experiment with the other classes. I found Sentinel to easily be the best for an Insanity run. I completed every mission and assignment in the game in about half the time it took my Soldier and had very few problems, deaths or medi-gels usages along the way.

Sentinel benefits -

1. Tech Armor is a big-ass shield that recharges on demand. It'll save you more times than you can count on Insanity.
    2. Tech Armor's recharge also recharges your squad mates powers. Very useful when you need to lay down a spike or recharge lengthy cool-downs.
    3. Tech Armor frees up your bonus power for an offensive skill. Warp Ammo, Armor Piercing Ammo and Reave are all good choices, depending on your squad build. I stuck with Reave while squad mates covered the ammo.
    4. You have zero reliance on ammo - most of the time is spent tossing powers. This makes the weapons training choice on the Collector Ship almost cosmetic. I went Assault Rifle for an all-rounder approach and tonnes of ammo with an SMG fall-back. I considered going Sniper, but limited ammo and no Widow made it less tempting.
    5. The mix of tech and biotic powers means you can easily (and sometimes preferably) solo when your idiot squaddies die, which can be frequently on Insanity due to their dodgy cover AI. I stuck with Area Overload + Area Reave for all missions (including loyalties) until Derelict Reaper, then swapped to Heavy Warp + Area Reave vs Collectors and Husks.
    6. All skills are useful all of the time. The only difficult decision is whether to spend your points on Area Reave or Heavy Warp. Reave is similar to Warp but is more useful for crowd control and stun-locking, in addition to double dmg vs Armor and Barriers. Drop Overload at the Derelict Reaper and spend the points in Warp instead for a spike / detonation skill.
    7. Area Overload, Heavy Warp / Area Reave take out all forms of defense, with optional spike and crowd control evolutions.
    8. In addition to the +60% Biotic and Tech upgrades you find / buy during the game, you get another +45% Power when combining Dragon Armor with Power Armor and Renegade. This will one-shot almost every defense in the game, including the Area variants. This makes everything but YMIR's, Scions and Praetorians a joke, and those three are easy to kite while you recharge.
    9. Plays friendly with any squad mate, although most of them are useless on Insanity. Stick with Garrus & Thane until Derelict Reaper, then swap to Samara & Thane for Collector missions. 2 x Area Reave + 3 x Area Throw = insta-win vs Husks and Collectors. The only thing lacking from Sentinel + Garrus + Thane is Pull, which is useful when cleaning up Collectors to prevent Harbinger spawns...and having some explodey fun.
    10. The rest of the squad mates (except Zaeed early on) just plain suck. All short-range weapon carriers (Shotguns / SMG) are suicidal - they get chewed up and spat out on Insanity, including damage sponges like Grunt. Take sniping squaddies equipped with the Incisor (it has no squad mate dmg reduction on Insanity)+ Squad AP Ammo to lay down the smack while they stay safely in cover behind you.

Sentinel turns Insanity into Easy mode...they're just that good. Their only weakness is limited combat effectiveness using weapons, which they don't need in the first place. Locust SMG and the Vindicator AR do more than enough damage when you're in a pinch.

Vs other classes -

Combat classes are almost entirely reliant on ammo, which is in scarce supply in Insanity and can leave you swinging your dick in the wind. Their shields are destroyed very quickly vs high-level foes forces you into cover until your shields recharge. This increases the odds of being flanked and you have no useful fast-recharge powers like Throw to prevent it.

Soldier wastes a lot of points on Ammo skills when squad mates can fill the same role. Given anyone carrying an SMG or Shotgun is all but useless on Insanity, and Garrus has Concussive Shot, Overload and Armor Piercing Ammo to take care of all forms of defense, you won't see the benefit of your class beyond Adrenaline Rush.

Infiltrator's Incinerate and AI Hacking are wasted skills. Take Garrus packing Squad AP Ammo and there's no need for Incinerate. AI Hacking is only useful vs Synthetics and shielded enemies are no real threat on Insanity. Overload will more than do the same job vs geth and mechs. Tactical Cloak is fun, but not as useful as the Sentinel's insta-recharge armor for ducking back into cover. Sniper ammo is also in short supply.

Vanguard is not suited at all to Insanity. All enemies have some form of defense, so a jump into enemy ranks + shotgun blast = your death more often than not. This is exacerbated in NG+.

Adepts have access to Singularity which catalyses Warp explosions, but they're way too squishy for Insanity so you waste your bonus skill on a shield. Singularity is not worth the investment when a squad mate can use Pull instead. Even then, that's just for shits and giggles.

Engineers suck - AI Hacking and Cryo Blast are situational and require enemy defenses down to be useful. Combat Drone is dead within seconds and has a long recharge. Overload and Incinerate are useful, but Incinerate as the class-defining skill isn't worth the investment vs squad mate ammo powers. Overload is useless vs Collectors, Blood Pack and Armor, so it's a wasted skill for half of the game.

Well...that's my $0.02, plus some change. Go Sentinel - it's great for Insanity in ME2 and I'll be using it again in ME3.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 05-28-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I played soldier my first time through lots of weapon choices. This time i'm playing as an infiltratior, because I like sniping, and sneaking. I might do it again as an engineer not sure yet.
    I kissed a boy, and I liked it.
    (I can't wait to do it again.)