Microsoft's New Patent Would Project Images On Your Walls

This is a discussion on Microsoft's New Patent Would Project Images On Your Walls within the Microsoft forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; One of the key qualities all game developers and console makers are shooting for is immersion. In this context, it ...

PRO Member

Microsoft's New Patent Would Project Images On Your Walls

One of the key qualities all game developers and console makers are shooting for is immersion. In this context, it means making what you play seem as real as possible.
    Microsoft, though, may take the gold medal with their latest patent.
    The idea behind the device is essentially a 360 degree projector that surrounds you in the game environment by putting images on all four walls. So, for example, if you were playing Halo 4 and a Promethean was creeping up on you just off screen, that would be projected onto the wall so you could see it and blast it accordingly.
    Need to see what's behind you? Look over your shoulder. The system would also use a depth camera to determine your exact location inside the game and how distant targets are from you.
    While it's just a patent, and nothing may ever come of it, it's a clue as to where Microsoft sees games heading.
    Our Take: We doubt this technology will ship with the next Xbox, but it's certainly interesting to talk about. We've seen versions of this idea elsewhere, such as projecting a Pac-Man game onto all four walls and the ceiling, but this seems to be the first serious attempt to bring those projects, which were essentially art installations or proof-of-concept works, into the home.
    Whether anything will come of it, who know? But we suspect this idea will make its way to market somehow.
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 8 - Gold

Cool...if you don't own any furniture.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen - common sense.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    i would dedicate a room in my house for this.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    It's cool to see that you're already a devoted consumer of this product, especially without seeing any tech-demos or game applications of the tech at all. M$ is gonna love you.

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    Glad you have all that space in your home to do that.

Now for the rest of us that think before we speak (or type in this case)

I don't think I'd have enough motivation to move all my furniture out of my room just to play some shit that probably won't have any good games on it to begin with.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

Lvl 4 - Silver

Looks cool but sadly I don't have any free rooms and I live with my parents so figure lol.

Lvl 9 - Gold

My friend had this already as a hunting simulator. It was a projector from the ceiling that had 8 lenses and a censor in the middle where you would stand underneath and it would send feedback to what your movements were and the images that were being shown would react to your every movement he had a rifle to shoot the animals with also. It was made by a defunked computer company named PRA. They also made a super computer by the name of The Laser Raman that cost $110,000 US.

PRO Member

Good luck finding developers willing to code a single game worth playing
    Good luck affording the processing power to support this 360 degree who-knows-what-resolution (I guess (1920 x 4walls)x(1080 x 4walls)?)

Damn it, if I want my first person shooter to immerse me that much, I'll just go join the military! At least there'll be no lag when I shoot somebody
    Steaming pile of helpful tips