Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Earning Achievements Now Unlocks Discounts on XBL Marketplace

This is a discussion on Earning Achievements Now Unlocks Discounts on XBL Marketplace within the Microsoft forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Saying as Sony copied the whole idea of achievements off of Microsoft, it makes sense that they will likely follow ...

Banned

Earning Achievements Now Unlocks Discounts on XBL Marketplace

Saying as Sony copied the whole idea of achievements off of Microsoft, it makes sense that they will likely follow this little trend in the making in due time when the limelight for the idea is elsewhere!

Microsoft has launched a new Xbox LIVE Rewards scheme entitling players who have passed certain Gamerscore milestones to additional discounts on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.If you've unlocked between 3,000-9,999 Gamerscore on your Xbox LIVE profile, you'll be sent a "Special Gift" on your birthday. Don't get too excited, though: according to Microsoft, the gift only holds a value of 15p.
    However, if you've earned between 10,000-24,999 Gamerscore, you'll receive both the birthday gift and be entitled to a 1% rebate on all purchases from Xbox LIVE Marketplace every month.
    Players who have unlocked 25,000+ Gamerscore, meanwhile, will earn a 2% rebate on all purchases every month and the birthday gift.
    To sign up for the offer, you simply need to activate the Xbox LIVE Rewards scheme on your Xbox LIVE Gold account.
    Most Xbox LIVE Marketplace purchases qualify for the rebate, including Games on Demand, Arcade Games, Game Add-ons and Avatar items, but purchases of Microsoft Points or Xbox LIVE memberships are excluded.
    Players can also earn free Microsoft Points by taking part in surveys and buying items on Xbox LIVE Marketplace.
    Source: Earning Achievements now unlocks discounts on Xbox LIVE Marketplace - VideoGamer.com

Let Me Watch

Because a 2% discount matters so much
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

"Got more soul than a sock with a hole"

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    I would say it's pretty damn good. Makes something useless mean something.

Lvl 5 - Silver

All this is gonna do is make more hackers and cheaters which might not make sony do it, although they might for PS+ members

Up the Irons!

I literally just came from that article.

Although it's only 2%, and it won't save a person much (unless you buy a lot), it is still something. Something is better than nothing.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

PRO Member

Yeah it something but not much. Personally I'll take my PS plus and the free stuff they give through that. That to me is more of a savings.

I don't really want anything for my trophies. they are personal achievement for myself and thats good enough for me.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Bringing the PAIN

You just bought a game for $10! Here is your dime back you dumb fuck! Thanks for playing!

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    You just bought a game for $10! Here is your dime back you dumb fuck! Thanks for playing!
    Sounds a lot like Gamestop.

Resident PHD

While this seems good (I mean something for nothing is always good) I see a couple of problems with it.

1. As mentioned before this will just encourage more hackers and cheaters. Now MS is pretty good about catching people (as shown by this great website) but people will still try.

2. Now this is the much more serious matter (and good on MS for thinking this up). I used to work for Michael's Arts and Crafts. I would always see customers come in with their 10% off coupon. They would end up buying anything (because they had to use the coupon). Now would they have bought that something if they didn't receive 10% off, probably not. So they saved a 1$ the company made 9 and all was happy in the end.

So MS gives you 2% off a game. You think to yourself "I really should use that, I might as well get as many games as possible at 2% off that way I am 'saving' more money" and in the end MS got you to buy something you may not have bought before.

So in conclusion, this is great if you were planning on getting something anyways, but it is still a sneaky (albeit clever) move by MS to get you to subconsciously spend more than you were planning to.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

DON'T BLINK

Pretty sure PSN beta tested this a few months back (or maybe it was a year ago) and nobody showed enough interest in it.

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

PRO Member

This wouldn't matter to me anyway because I don't get much psn games, most of the ones I have were free lol

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    While this seems good (I mean something for nothing is always good) I see a couple of problems with it.

1. As mentioned before this will just encourage more hackers and cheaters. Now MS is pretty good about catching people (as shown by this great website) but people will still try.

2. Now this is the much more serious matter (and good on MS for thinking this up). I used to work for Michael's Arts and Crafts. I would always see customers come in with their 10% off coupon. They would end up buying anything (because they had to use the coupon). Now would they have bought that something if they didn't receive 10% off, probably not. So they saved a 1$ the company made 9 and all was happy in the end.

So MS gives you 2% off a game. You think to yourself "I really should use that, I might as well get as many games as possible at 2% off that way I am 'saving' more money" and in the end MS got you to buy something you may not have bought before.

So in conclusion, this is great if you were planning on getting something anyways, but it is still a sneaky (albeit clever) move by MS to get you to subconsciously spend more than you were planning to.
    I agree. I get 10% off codes from Zavvi a lot but I will only use it if I am going to buy something anyway... most of the codes expire, but I can see people buying stuff just because the code is there.

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 8 - Gold

This is an awesome idea. And I don't mind having a little discount. If you buy a lot from the Store or Marketplace, that money you saved could add up I guess and then you just might have saved enough for something else you want.

INTJ

http://i.imgur.com/0Esef.png

cool, nice to know i managed to play enough games to get the legend level without trying.

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    This is an awesome idea. And I don't mind having a little discount. If you buy a lot from the Store or Marketplace, that money you saved could add up I guess and then you just might have saved enough for something else you want.
    Like I said for every $10 you get $0.20? Gonna take a long ass time to get anything "free" or even make anything seem worthwhile. I know it's something for nothing but still kinda like they are just looking to make people say, "See what they give us?! M$ Lovers us!!! "

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

#cutformesa

Cue entitled complaints on how small the rebates are.

EDIT: Lawl already happening

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NOFORPAIN View Post
    Like I said for every $10 you get $0.20? Gonna take a long ass time to get anything "free" or even make anything seem worthwhile. I know it's something for nothing but still kinda like they are just looking to make people say, "See what they give us?! M$ Lovers us!!! "

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    Cue entitled complaints on how small the rebates are.

EDIT: Lawl already happening
    Well it is a really small amount. 2% isn't even going to cover tax. If you think about it games on PSN are already cheaper than XBLA because on PSN there is no tax.

So if it was me I would rather save 12% on PSN than 2% on XBL

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

good day to those with a 2% off there next bought game since its something even though its nothing but we wanna make it look like something
    which is entirely crap since they make you pay for online as well...i just dont get it
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

The Grand Ray Legend

Oh man thats cool, I got 32,000+ points right now on my file, wish they started this 2 months ago, my birthday past already!!
    Sig made by Beam / Avy made by DaRe_xLw

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Well it is a really small amount. 2% isn't even going to cover tax. If you think about it games on PSN are already cheaper than XBLA because on PSN there is no tax.

So if it was me I would rather save 12% on PSN than 2% on XBL
    Yeah, it's a pittance, but I still find it amazing that people have the capacity to complain about free gestures. That's what I was commenting on.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Rangers F.C

Well if you spend 100 pound on it you get 2 back so you would have to spend 2500 to get a game like Mass Effect at 50( on PSN don't know xbox price ) ..............They can stick it up there ass
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast