Cliff B leaves Epic games...

This is a discussion on Cliff B leaves Epic games... within the Microsoft forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Cliff Bleszinski, design director known for his creative work on the Gears of War and Unreal Tournament, has departed Epic ...

DON'T BLINK

Cliff B leaves Epic games...

Cliff Bleszinski, design director known for his creative work on the Gears of War and Unreal Tournament, has departed Epic Games. In an EpicGames.com blog post, Bleszinski seems to hint he may be leaving the industry outright.

"I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business," Bleszinski said. "And now that I’m grown up, it’s time for a much needed break. I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people."

more found here

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Perfecting since 1996

Wow! This man is responsible for soooo much in the industry today. I honestly can't believe that he is leaving.

Kiwi Defender

I certainly hope he doesn't quit the industry as a whole and that, if he does, he comes back. Like matt said, he's responsible for a lot of stuff, so him leaving the industry outright would be a huge loss.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Rangers F.C

Don't know anything about the guy but if he helped make Gears of War then ............GOOD JOB loved that game almost makes me sad I ditched the Xbox ....... almost
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

illegal in 9 countries

Cue PS360 troll post in 3...2...1....

Korean Girl Group Groupie

It seems a lot of the "faces" of major gaming studios are on their way out of the industry lately. I wonder if Cliffy B's case is another one of those who seems to be looking for something a bit more stable than what the current situation has. It's also possible that Cliff Bleszinski is just suffering from total burnout - which is a likely case as well, especially since he's had a recent break from the industry and is still not being able to find his current passion.

I may not have agreed with some of the things Cliff B stood for and said, but the guy was a visionary and one of the more personable people in the industry who was very visible and accessible to not only media, but to many fans in being an accessible outlet for the gaming community to get information and answers when needed. I wish him the best in whatever alternative things he tries to pursue, and wish him success in future projects.

The gaming industry is always in a constant state of flux, but the current situation seems to be as chaotic as ever. I just hope that the fact that it seems that the gaming community as whole seems to have a ridiculously unattainable standard in what they expect from games, prices, time-tables, content, and over-all entitlement - isn't chasing away a lot of the innovative people in the industry, and causing some of the greatest visionaries the industry have to go and pursue something else that isn't just more stable - but offers better fulfillment than the endless chain of bitching that seems to come from nearly every single possible thing about the game themselves.

Lord knows, if I were in Cliff B's position, I'd be wanting an out considering how temperamental the community is, and how cutthroat the industry has to be when your every project is determining whether or not you can keep the people you've grown to enjoy working with, along for the next project. It's not an industry that I would want my kids to go into, and that should speak volumes considering I find myself to be a person who really loves gaming as whole.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

bye asshole.

good luck trying to consolize another company.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Everyone is just getting ready for the collapse. They all need time to prepare....*tinfoil hat*

Not a fan of any of the major titles he's been associated with, yet Epic being responsible for what seems to be the most widely used development kit this generation (Unreal Engine 3), the man deserves respect.

Cliffy is good friends with Joe Rogan, so hopefully we'll see him on the JRE podcast to go into detail about his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Cue PS360 troll post in 3...2...1....
    Just use the ignore tool. It's awesome.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    bye asshole.

good luck trying to consolize another company.

Rubicant, delete your post. I'll feel vindicated.

Fox
    Anatolia's Mercenary

He's been in the industry for over 20 years - He probably feels that's long enough, and wants to move on. He may move into something like David Jaffe did - starting up his own company or something like that. Or, he could be leaving for good.

Either way, we, as a community, need to be wishing him well in whatever he does. He's influenced a ton in the industry, and deserves nothing less from us, regardless of how you feel about him personally.