Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3DS Outsells Vita 10:1

This is a discussion on 3DS Outsells Vita 10:1 within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Nintendo 3DS Outsells PSVita 10:1 in Japan - VITA News at IGN Media Create's weekly sales charts have been released, ...

INTJ

3DS Outsells Vita 10:1

Nintendo 3DS Outsells PSVita 10:1 in Japan - VITA News at IGN

Media Create's weekly sales charts have been released, chronicling how the Japanese game industry is doing. Translated by Andriasang, the data, covering the week spanning from March 26th through April 1st, continues to paint a great picture for Nintendo while painting an equally poor picture for Sony.

Kingdom Hearts 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising were the two games primarily responsible for Nintendo 3DS' huge sales. On the backs of those games (as well as others), Nintendo sold 121,921 Nintendo 3DS units at retail. That's over 10 times the amount of PlayStation Vitas Sony saw sold during the week, amounting to only 12,105.

In other hardware sales news, PlayStation 3 sold 23,771 consoles, trouncing Xbox 360's 1,317 units sold. Nintendo's Wii sold 9,292 units. Not surprisingly, PlayStation Portable sold over 6,000 more units than its successor, reaching the 18,356 units sold mark for the week.

Sales data has also been released for games. Media Create's top 20 list illustrates the dominance of Nintendo 3DS' strong software lineup in the east. The top-selling game for the week, Kingdom Hearts 3D, sold 213,579 copies. Kid Icarus Uprising sold another 47,179 on top of the nearly 180,000 it sold the week before. Six other 3DS games joined those two top-selling titles in the top 20.

PSP and PS3 games also sold well. The top-selling PS3 game was Pro Baseball Spirits 2012, which pushed 90,433 units on PS3 and another 60,141 units on PSP. Four other PSP games were in the top 20, along with three more PS3 games. One Wii game and one Nintendo DS game round-out the list, along with the long entry for PlayStation Vita: New Little King Story sold 7,141 copies.

only games i play on my vita are katamari and wipeout.

i play mario kart, kid icarus (this game is goty imo), super mario 3d land, pilotwings occasionally, and starfox 64 3d all the time.

Go Blue Jackets!!

Vitas will and never will be worth the money. They won't ever have any titles worth buying (maybe an Infamous spinoff but even then). Who wants to buy the same games that they play on the Ps3? At least nintendo has there games being fun and exciting on the 3DS (Kid Icarus is fucking fun as hell and Mario 3D land is great as well).

But with me saying that every sony fanboy on this site will say NINTENDO MAKES THE SAME FUCKING GAME. Which nintendo doesn't they always change up the franchise somehow (example phantom hourglass, spirt tracks). When is the last time Sony has created a sequel that was truly different from its predecessor other than graphically? Never. The vita is going to be just like the PSP and have nothing truly worth buying on the system.
    I don't own a PS3 anymore because my games of gaming have come to an end...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm tempted to buy a 3ds for resident evil revelations and super mario 3d, but at the moment there's nothing really saying buy me on the vita at the moment so untill the vita has some more games released for it i think the sales aren't going to be that strong but when it does get its titles up to speed then the spread could become closer.

Created by Prosthetic

From here on out Blank friend requests will not be acknowledged

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Nintendo 3DS Outsells PSVita 10:1 in Japan - VITA News at IGN

only games i play on my vita are katamari and wipeout.

i play mario kart, kid icarus (this game is goty imo), super mario 3d land, pilotwings occasionally, and starfox 64 3d all the time.
    no wonder your vita doesnt work properly besides some of 3ds titles are remastered games but the 3ds online functionality is prehistoric

PRO Member

I'm enjoying my Vita a lot... Some of the games out right now aren't great, but I do love the Motorstorm series and RC is fun as hell on it, and FREE!!! Also who doesn't love the Hot Shot's Golf series??? Games are fun as hell! Not sure though what's coming out in the future, but the cross gameplay works well. I've done it with MLB 12 and it works like a champ.

Kiwi Defender

That's in Japan, though. I'd like to see worldwide figures, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWLZilla View Post
    Vitas will and never will be worth the money. They won't ever have any titles worth buying (maybe an Infamous spinoff but even then). Who wants to buy the same games that they play on the Ps3? At least nintendo has there games being fun and exciting on the 3DS (Kid Icarus is fucking fun as hell and Mario 3D land is great as well).

But with me saying that every sony fanboy on this site will say NINTENDO MAKES THE SAME FUCKING GAME. Which nintendo doesn't they always change up the franchise somehow (example phantom hourglass, spirt tracks). When is the last time Sony has created a sequel that was truly different from its predecessor other than graphically? Never. The vita is going to be just like the PSP and have nothing truly worth buying on the system.
    I know it's hard to ask you to do this but... Don't be a moron. Both Nintendo and Sony are making the same damn games on their consoles and handhelds. None is excempt from this.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are not console games, meaning there's been no innovation on teh best-selling Zelda games for over a decade. Also, those are two games out of 22~. How can you even use that as an excuse? Even the Rehash & Clack series has been more innovative, not to mention at least Sony's exclusives improve something, even if it's just the graphics. Nintendo can't make said claim.

The "Vita is like the PSP" argument isn't valid if you won't say the 3DS is the same as the DS, so, again, don't be a moron, or better said, a hypocrite. As hard as it may sound, please try it for once in your life, it'd be much appreciated.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

The vita is going to be just like the PSP and have nothing truly worth buying on the system.
    Spoken like a true non-PSP owner.

PSP has no truly worth buying titles to you because you've not bothered too look and explore it.

Anyway, yeah this is just Japan. I remember seeing a chart showing the sales figures for the Vita in the EU and they compared them to the 3DS.
    Who won? First-week sales of PS Vita vs. PSP vs. 3DS vs. DS (infographic) | VentureBeat here's one but it's not the one I was on about.

In the EU the vita has been constantly outselling the 3DS since release, I really don't understand why people think the sales of the Vita in Japan reflect on the Vita in anyway, people seem to think that Japan was Sony's strongest portable market but yeah all figures point to the EU as being Sony's strongest portable market, and look! the same has happened again...

Indie Game Developer

When is the last time Sony has created a sequel that was truly different from its predecessor other than graphically?
    How often does a developer take an existing IP and completely fuck with the core mechanics? Never. Not even Nintendo. This is a bullshit excuse. What Sony DOES do better, is having a wider range of different IPs. Hey, you like casual fun games? Try LBP, ModNation Racers, or Ratchet and Clank. You like Action games? Have some Uncharted, or inFamous. You like hardcore shooters? Try Resistance or Killzone. You a mature gamer? Try MGS4, or Heavy Rain. Racing games? Motorstorm, WipEout, and Gran Turismo 5.

Meanwhile at Nintendo: You like childish games with a heavy dose of nostalgia? We got mario, zelda, and pokemon! You like anything else? Umm... we have some ports of CoD?

Also:
    Vitas will and never will be worth the money.
    Vitas (will) and (never will) be worth the money.

is equal to

Vitas will be worth the money.
    Vitas will never be worth the money.

So which is it?
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wow, pass the crack please? And the Vita is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. $250-300 is a steal for that piece of technology and the games are just fine with the current line up and whats coming out. Just sucks you never bothered to play the PSP or the Vita because both have rockin games that aren't your 5 minute time passers.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 4 - Silver

Worth noting that this is only for Japan and only show a week of sales. as I hope most of you know sales vary a lot based on country and games released.

Stop reading here if you don't want a comparison on why sales of the Vita VS 3DS are happening the way they are

Before I start I will say that these are only my opinion's and what I have observed and I own a vita and have owned a 3DS (all be it I won it in a raffle so it cost me 1)
    Also I am slightly Biased (only slightly) to the vita because the vita has kept me entertained for 1 and a half months and still going while the 3DS was about a week if that

New incentive (bad first choice but oh well)
    The vita sold well on release but the problem is that the large list of release games made it a nice buy but since the console came out nationally less than 4 new games have come out (overall since game releases have varied from region but I'm looking at this in the aspect of being willing to import). this lack of new releases has given no reason for new buyer's.
    The 3DS on an average week would normally sell a similar amount to the vita but since the 3DS is getting the games that sell consoles it get's a spike in sales for 2 to 6 weeks then is back to normal.

Titles (I kinda obvious how this should go)
    Sony also has a disadvantage here in the fact Sony has no true consoles selling games any more aside from call of duty which can also be got on Xbox. Even that isn't so good since most people are repeat buyers (for the short time I tried MW3 the number of players I met that only had Call of duty games on their trophy lists), I mean it has exclusives but none that truly sell the console in huge numbers. (a side form monster hunter in Japan but of course a problem appeared in that theory as of 2009)
    Nintendo get's a huge advantage in this case since they get Mario, The legend of Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Kid Icarus and finally pokemon. On top of that for Japan they got monster hunter. Each of these easily sell at least 1,000,000 consoles each eventually.

Console Price: (More than you think) (Also I'm using 's because I live in England and am not sure on prices for other countries off the top of my head)
    the Vita starts at 230 (but if you look it can go as low as 188.) Plus the memory stick which is needed (gonna use 4GB since the 3DS comes with 2GB and the vita doesn't have less that 4GB in England) 13. So 243 to 201.
    the 3DS is 125 nearly every where.
    the 76 difference isn't the problem since if you look at Android VS Apple most people nearly always pay an extra 50% on the price for Apple even though the difference in performance is almost minimal. And the vita beats the 3DS in performance on every aspect you would want (unless you base which you buy on the screen count) but the performance is irrelevant since most people with consoles are not pure gamers and don't think the extra power is worth it or even look into it.
    From what I have read in comments, news articles and the internet in general which I spend a lot of time on because I'm a college student who only goes in 2 days a week and spends the other 5 days making videos and playing games while constantly having the internet at least open. I have found that about 80% of the people on anything about the Vita think the price will drop within a year (Which I severally doubt will happen, or even in 2 years for that matter)
    So for that Nintendo actually killed the vita sales not only by out pricing them but by creating a hope for an official price drop in the vita. (It's worth noting here that people have priced the 3DS to cost 98 to make and the vita has been calculated to cost 153 to make)

Game pricing (Stupid comparison because the vita prices vary so much)
    3DS games are pretty much a solid 30 in stores around me. Of course this is good and bad games together.
    Vita games start at 4.79 (motorstorm RC download) and finish at 50 physical and 45 download (EA Sports Fifa Football) Of course these games are a good show of the genre they are in but I'm not gonna, some games are over priced on the vita as well (EA sports Fifa football).
    In all though the prices on the vita are fair for the most part but some about half the 3DS games aren't. However the value of money for games doesn't matter to most people only that they are within budget. Even so the physical vita games in store range from 35 to 50 (since the cheap games are download only) and the 3DS are 30 so to a non-pure gamer the 3DS is better value (even if it isn't in terms of game play time)

So those are four key factors that I see are what make the 3DS sell better than the vita even though as I said before the vita out does the 3DS in everything except number of screens and 3D (Worth noting again I found that with all 3D you stop noticing it after around 10min)

But like I said this is just my observations and all my opinion and I'm not trained or qualified in this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Doomlor0; 04-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.

NSFW

Now, now everyone... let me remind you of a thing called...Opinions... Just because someone disagrees with you or does something, that you don't like, doesn't mean we can call each other morons and being hateful to something you haven't even tried. Just sayin'. We are adults (most of us).

That the PS Vita will fail, and that Nintendo and Sony has released the same game over and over, is not as much proof as it is opinions. You are of course allowed to state them, but let us not go overboard with the name-calling here.

With that said, I don't see how any of this really has any impact. Both Sony and Nintendo is still standing strong, and these statistics does not really warrant that much other than starting a flame in Sony's will to compete. In relation to the only the same games thing, I think that it's also good not to stray too much away from the original concept. Remember, that there were a reason, that people fell in love with the first LoZ or the first R&C. They had a formula that worked, and making them completely different is a big risk to take.

I just don't see Nintendo doing something vastly different than Sony and vice versa.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    Now, now everyone... let me remind you of a thing called...Opinions... Just because someone disagrees with you or does something, that you don't like, doesn't mean we can call each other morons and being hateful to something you haven't even tried. Just sayin'. We are adults (most of us).
    In all fairness, LAWLzilla wasn't being called an moron because of a difference of opinion, but because he is in fact a moron. He really wasn't stating an opinion, he was trying to pass ill-educated reasoning as fact.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Spoken like a true non-PSP owner.

PSP has no truly worth buying titles to you because you've not bothered too look and explore it.
    only psp games i ever truly loved is patapon 1-2, and locoroco 1-2.

worlds biggest welch fan

hand helds are fun from time to time or when the power is out.

good for nintendo
    now where are the cheesedoodles I haven't seen them on the shelf
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    only psp games i ever truly loved is patapon 1-2, and locoroco 1-2.
    You'll find the reasoning behind that is because Locoroco is a fucking mint game :3

Kiwi Defender

In all fairness, LAWLzilla wasn't being called an moron because of a difference of opinion, but because he is in fact a moron. He really wasn't stating an opinion, he was trying to pass ill-educated reasoning as fact.
    ^This. His making assumptions with faulty logic a la Ps360, not saying "I think that the VITA games are very average (because I've played them), and I also think Sony isn't innovating much." Instead, he says "VITA sucks dicks (never played it, never will), and Sony rips-off Nintendo, all while rehashing their IPs! While nintendo is obviously innovating theirs!".

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    ^This. His making assumptions with faulty logic a la Ps360, not saying "I think that the VITA games are very average (because I've played them), and I also think Sony isn't innovating much." Instead, he says "VITA sucks dicks (never played it, never will), and Sony rips-off Nintendo, all while rehashing their IPs! While nintendo is obviously innovating theirs!".
    You guys misunderstood my post (I was probably also very vague).

When I said:

I referred to LAWLZilla's post, where I called him out on his statement. I think that there were in general to many needless insults flying from all sides.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

worlds biggest welch fan

3d switch makes my eyes crossed.
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

Saints Row IV

Imao 3DS has better games than the Vita
    Oh and Vita=Life
    Its like sony is telling me to get a life
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Roo Commander

Just in Japan, what about the rest of the world?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast