Platinum Games: Bayonetta 2 Would not exist without nintendo.

This is a discussion on Platinum Games: Bayonetta 2 Would not exist without nintendo. within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; 'Bayonetta 2' would not exist without Nintendo, says Platinum Games | The Verge "Would Bayonetta 2 not exist without Nintendo? ...

INTJ

Platinum Games: Bayonetta 2 Would not exist without nintendo.

'Bayonetta 2' would not exist without Nintendo, says Platinum Games | The Verge

"Would Bayonetta 2 not exist without Nintendo? The answer is yes," says Atsushi Inaba, executive director at Platinum Games. He tells Polygon that Nintendo, the sequel's publisher, was a key partner in getting the game made.

"We are not viewing this as a change of platform," Inaba told Polygon in an interview at Tokyo Game Show. "We were looking for a partner to create Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo was a strong, cooperative partner that was willing to create and grow Bayonetta 2 together [with us]. As a result the platform became the Wii U."

In the wake of Bayonetta 2's announcement as an exclusive for the Wii U, some fans vocalized their displeasure, hoping that the sequel would be released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 like the original Bayonetta. Developers at Platinum Games said in a series of statements this week that it does not want to alienate its fans.

Sega was responsible for publishing the original Bayonetta, but the company has since scaled back on the number of titles it publishes. Platinum Games and Sega's most recent collaboration, Anarchy Reigns, has not been published outside of Japan, a source of frustration for Inaba. He says he still doesn't know when Anarchy Reigns will be released overseas, as Sega has not offered him an update.

Regardless of the change of platform from PS3 and Xbox 360 to Wii U, Inaba says it won't impact Bayonetta 2's core gameplay.

"We create the basic framework of our games on the PC, so even though the hardware changes it doesn't influence the creation of our games. We've already developed our own engine to work with multiple platforms.

"Because of the Wii U GamePad, we are putting extra thought into how to use these differentiating features," Inaba said. "There's a difference in the game design side, but we are enjoying the challenges of creating games for new hardware."

Nintendo and Platinum Games haven't revealed much about Bayonetta 2, releasing only a short teaser trailer. The trailer echoes the teaser of the original Bayonetta with a few key differences: a crescent moon replaces the full moon, red tones are replaced by blues, and Bayonetta's enemy now rebuffs her attacks, implying a more formidable foe. Inaba explains why the developer chose to release a nearly identical trailer for the sequel.

"Toward the end of development of Bayonetta, I was talking with Kamiya-san and Hashimoto-san, and they said 'If Bayonetta 2 ever happens, we want the teaser trailer to be the same as [the first] Bayonetta,'" he said. "We wanted to make it the same because Bayonetta is a title that has been loved by many people and we wanted fans to say 'Oh! Bayonetta's back again!'"

Inaba wouldn't offer details on what's coming in the sequel, instead asking fans to speculate about what they've shown so far.

"All of the new things you see in the trailer, we can't talk about at all at this point. We're leaving it up to your imagination."

The Grand Ray Legend

I think people know this already
    Sig and Avy made by the talented DaRe_xLw

No Game No Life

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos06 View Post
    I think people know this already
    Most of the fans do know this already.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

PRO Member

This just in: The Wii-U To Require Electricity to Operate: Gamers Outraged

Seriously though, there's a chance Nintendo could be willing to sell the publishing rights to the other consoles once sales start to dwindle. Doubt it, yet you never know.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I for one did not know this and upon reading this i am gutted as i absolutely loved the first game, one of my favourite games ever and i have been waiting for a sequel or news of a sequel for quite some time but this wasn't exactly the news i wanted to hear

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

illegal in 9 countries

It's an excellent move by Nintendo to secure niche third-party sequels and make them exclusive to Wii U.

There are dozens of quality games that didn't quite hit the big time on PS3, 360 & PC, hence missed obvious opportunities for sequels and could find a bigger slice of the pie on Wii U thanks to lower competition.

Strong third-party support and exclusivity makes me far more likely to buy a Wii U than anything Nintendo produces in-house.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

nintendo is dominating huge lately.

they have the biggest japan IP exclusive to their platforms right now (monster hunter), they are treating third party with way more respect than last time (not really saying much since they let third party run rampant with the wii), supporting more indies, etc.

Crocodile Hunter

Meh it will come to the ps3/4 eventually

Sig by Apokolypz

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Meh it will come to the ps3/4 eventually
    Nintendo is working on it and publishing it

the only way it will is if nintendo gives a thumbs up to that idea.

so no.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

It's a good thing nintendo picked this game up quite under rated I say
    Now when this games starts expanding it's fan base
    Sega will be knocking there doors with sad faces

I do want to see this on ps3 since I plat'd the first one and I'm sure many others do to
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    It's a good thing nintendo picked this game up quite under rated I say
    Now when this games starts expanding it's fan base
    Sega will be knocking there doors with sad faces

I do want to see this on ps3 since I plat'd the first one and I'm sure many others do to
    Sega is sorta on the dev team too, but not really.

they arn't publishing, they called themselfs "advisors"

someone at destructoid actually posted something intelligent to say for once

http://www.destructoid.com/platinum-...o-235541.phtml

Who else was going to publish it? Definitely not Sega, which recently underwent severe restructuring and had to shelve several projects, one which may have been a multiplatform Bayonetta 2 in early planning stages. Despite being out in Japan already, Sega pushed back the Western release of Anarchy Reigns for reasons unknown. If that's how the company handles a finished product, how do you think it would treat something barely in development?

Nintendo -- not Sony or Microsoft -- is making Bayonetta 2 a reality. What makes me most curious are those folks who insist that they are now "forced" to buy a new console to play a single game. They don't want to buy a Wii U, but because there is a game that appeals to them on the Wii U, they make up strange excuses, like how the "true price" of Bayonetta 2 includes $350 for the Wii U itself.

Well, hello! That's what happens when a new hardware generation begins! Sequels to games that appeared on the previous consoles tend to only be available on the new consoles. Naturally, the new consoles will have sparse libraries in the beginning, but that doesn't stop people from upgrading. There was crying in the streets from parents back in the 90s who complained that they shouldn't have to buy the Super Nintendo because their kids already had an NES. But change is inevitable, and you are going to have to make the investment if you want to play the latest and greatest.

If Bayonetta 2 were coming to the PS4 or Xbox 720, no one would have made a peep. Suddenly, the "true price" argument vanishes. The reason people are pissed is because the Wii U is made by Nintendo and Nintendo is garbage to third parties and third parties can't succeed on Nintendo machines and all third-party software on Nintendo consoles suck and how dare Nintendo take our games they have no gosh darn right blah blah blah blah. Just admit that this is blind hatred towards Nintendo and get over yourselves.

Wake up and realize that this is a good thing, that it's an indication that Nintendo is trying to do right by these ingrates, that Platinum Games gets to make a sequel to a cult classic that wouldn't have been made otherwise, and that there is not a single logical reason why you should be upset over this. You want to be mad at something? Be mad at Sega for losing so much money that it couldn't fund development of a whole swath of games. Be mad at Sony or Microsoft for not coming to Bayonetta 2's rescue. Be mad at the state of modern game development that prevents a critically lauded million-seller from receiving a sequel via normal means.

This is just... I mean... I don't even...

PRO Member

Seriously dude r u traumatized with the bayonetta thing LMAO

PRO Member

Any chance Nntendo can make a Heavenly Sword 2

Sig by Smashguy

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    Any chance Nntendo can make a Heavenly Sword 2
    sony bought the rights to the ip probably (it's how they lost indie game companies from publishing their games on PSN)

so no

heavenly sword wasn't really that great to begin with. besides some nice dialogue every now and then.

edit:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/23/heav...pt-art-leaked/

UPDATE: Ninja Theory’s Dominic Matthews has told VG247 that the shots are “not Ninja Theory art. Sony own the Heavenly Sword IP, whether or not they dabbled with new concepts independently of us is not something I can comment on.”

yea they own the ip.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Good to know.

Damn shame nobody bought Bayonetta; I love that game. I'm not sold on getting a Wii U and it kind of sucks that a game I've been waiting to see the light of day is on a console I'm not that interested in.

But hey, at least the game exists now.
    "Those who do not show respect will receive none in kind."

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I actually question Bayonetta 2 Exclusivity on Wii U. I've heard this scenario before, Goldeneye on Wii. Because Nintendo couldn't get the N64 version due to complicated rights (like Rare, the original developer of the N64 games is owned by MS) hence Activision and Nintendo partner up to remake Goldeneye. Activision said in the interview about why Goldeneye is exclusive on the Wii,

“There are a number of different reasons,” said Activision’s Brian Pass as he explained the decision. “One is we have a partnership with Nintendo. It’s a great opportunity. This game was originally on the N64, so there’s the nostalgia factor for people that are Nintendo fans. So we wanted to partner with Nintendo for this.
    “The opportunity on the Nintendo Wii platform is huge. There’s roughly 12 million Wiis in North America. But it’s not really a console that a lot of shooter fans are playing on. So we wanted to offer them their own first-person shooter, that’s unique and exclusive to that console.
    “We really want to tap in to the nostalgia for Nintendo fans, and take advantage of the opportunity presented by the platform.”
    When I read this and what Platinum Games said, very similar. Nintendo did have hand in the Goldeneye development just like Bayonetta 2 and yet a year after Goldeneye got released on Wii, it got "reloaded" for PS3 and 360:

heh, so much for "exclusivity" like Activision said. I see the Bayonetta 2 situation similar to Goldeneye. Also just because a certain 3rd party franchises is published by Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft doesn't mean it'll be "exclusive". We already just heard Mass Effect 1 is getting a Ps3 port 5 years after the 360 release and it was published by MS. That made me want to question more about Bayonetta 2 exclusivity. Many people said ME1 would never see the day of light on PS3, but now look what happen, ME1 is going to shine on PS3. Also I ask a lot of people about Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, they even question the exclusivity and they agreed with me it's very much like Goldeneye on Wii. They think it'll get a PS3/360 port in the future regardless. I could name other "exclusives" that end up going to other consoles.
    <3 Girls Generation/SNSD!!!

INTJ

Thats because Activision is still mainly publishing it, nintendo didn't really touch much of it other than being a wii exclusive.

Sega is not publishing with nintendo, Nintendo is the Sole Publisher while sega is the Advisor.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Thats because Activision is still mainly publishing it, nintendo didn't really touch much of it other than being a wii exclusive.

Sega is not publishing with nintendo, Nintendo is the Sole Publisher while sega is the Advisor.
    True, but Nintendo does not own the Bayonetta IP nor they bought out Platinum Game studio. Activision might have published Goldeneye, but Nintendo (Eurocom did most of the development, but Nintendo contributed to some part of the development) had hand in the development and the idea for Goldeneye (remember, they couldn't port the N64 classic to virtual console). Also I like to add Nintendo is publishing the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3, despite the the 360 and PS3 version came out first. Also we already heard the news Mass Effect 1 is coming to the PS3 despite MS publish the 360 version and has said it'll never come to PS3 until now. Also as I mention, we've seen third party "exclusives" ending up on another console:

-Castle Crashers was released on Xbox Live and MS publish the game, yet 2 years after the 360 release, it came to the PS3 and Sony publish the PS3 version.
    -Gears of War could end up getting a PS3 port, although MS publish Gears of War, they don't own it. Epic Games is the IP owner of that series. Epic Game President Mike Capps expressed interest of bringing Gears to PS3. If this does happen, then I hope Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot could get a 360 port as collateral.
    -Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360 was published by MS. Yet a year later it ended up on PS3 as Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2. I mean look at the boxart:

The 360 version carried the tagline "only on Xbox 360", but somehow it ended up on PS3. This is why 3rd party exclusives is not quite exclusive like what they said. I know Bayonetta 2 on Wii U is timed exclusive, look at past "exclusives" and now look what happen.
    <3 Girls Generation/SNSD!!!