Results 1 to 7 of 7

Wii U Disc Speed: 22.5 MB/s, Never worry about installing games and long load times.

This is a discussion on Wii U Disc Speed: 22.5 MB/s, Never worry about installing games and long load times. within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; forgot to post this a few weeks ago, but it's a nice thing to know. Wii U RAM, GPU and ...

  1. #1
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,082
    Reputation
    281

    Wii U Disc Speed: 22.5 MB/s, Never worry about installing games and long load times.

    forgot to post this a few weeks ago, but it's a nice thing to know.


    Wii U RAM, GPU and disc speeds don't disappoint | Nintendo Nation.net


    The other pleasing bit of news was the read speed of Nintendo’s optical Blu Ray discs – confirmed to store 25GB of data – ensuring games spanning several discs are no more.

    It’s not the capacity of the discs we’re interested in, though. It’s the read speed – quoted at 22.5MB/s. This is fast enough to ensure we’re not hobbled with slow, mandatory installs that ruin Nintendo’s ethos of ‘immediate gaming. To compare, PS3′s Blu Ray drive reads at 9MB/s. Fast loading times and no installs on Wii U, then.

    And for a 360 Comparison, the 360 disc reading times are 15.85 MB/s. at max



    If it helps make the loading times similar to cartridge games im all for it.



  2. #2
    Fight the Future
    Parker's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Wind Squid Pub
    Posts
    779
    Reputation
    56

    Nintendo would've shot themselves in the foot if the didn't do this. Mandatory installs with an 8gb or 32gb HDD would be ridiculous. Hell, I don't don't what Sony were thinking releasing a 20gb and 60gb console when the PS3 was released. GT5 alone with the install, patches and DLC is over 15gb.

    It's good to hear the discs will be faster though even though I seem like one of the few where loading really doesn't bother me.



  3. #3
    Lvl 4 - Silver


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    245
    Reputation
    13

    1) Loading doesn't bother me anyway (Unless it's like 30+ seconds per in game load screen)
    1.5) Obviously better loading times are always better
    2) This is to be expected, technology increases yearly. Disk reading speed included (well file reading speed anyway)
    3) Have they tested and proved this in use with the retail version of the console?
    3.5) Have they tested and proved that this read speed does make a noticeable difference to loading times?
    4) How much is the max disk space? (Should be obvious why this matters)

    Edit: How did I miss the first sentence of the quote which clearly answers 4.
    Nintendo’s optical Blu Ray discs – confirmed to store 25GB of data
    So it uses blu-ray, the same as the PS3. Basically 25GB per layer. So far the PS3 has only used up to double layers though. For reference the 360 and Wii use DVD disks which is basically 4.7GB per layer.

    For the record the layers on a disk doesn't affect the size or weight of the disk so in theory the PS3 and WiiU could make games as big as 200GB and use 8 layered disks (The most available so far on blu-ray). Mind you I don't know if the consoles have some kind of block to stop disks of that much memory being used by the console.
    Last edited by Doomlor0; 09-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.

  4. #4
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,082
    Reputation
    281

    Quote Originally Posted by Doomlor0 View Post
    1) Loading doesn't bother me anyway (Unless it's like 30+ seconds per in game load screen)
    1.5) Obviously better loading times are always better
    2) This is to be expected, technology increases yearly. Disk reading speed included (well file reading speed anyway)
    3) Have they tested and proved this in use with the retail version of the console?
    3.5) Have they tested and proved that this read speed does make a noticeable difference to loading times?
    4) How much is the max disk space? (Should be obvious why this matters)

    3) It was promised in retail release
    3.5) Nintendo Tested it so far and promised it, so probably.
    4) The max space is 25 GBs. Who's to say the disc size won't improve over the years though?



  5. #5
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,719
    Reputation
    447

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    3) It was promised in retail release
    3.5) Nintendo Tested it so far and promised it, so probably.
    4) The max space is 25 GBs. Who's to say the disc size won't improve over the years though?
    3.5) Nintendo rarely keeps their promises so fans should probably take whatever they say with a grain of salt.
    4) Disc space may increase but who are we kidding, this is Nintendo they will just make you pay for that extra space in some sort of an add-on (motion + or expansion pack comes to mind)

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  6. #6
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    11,082
    Reputation
    281

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    4) Disc space may increase but who are we kidding, this is Nintendo they will just make you pay for that extra space in some sort of an add-on (motion + or expansion pack comes to mind)

    Name me one time nintendo successfully did this.


    also nintendo always keeps its promise on hardware.



  7. #7
    .. Solar Fields ..
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,854
    Reputation
    338

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    also nintendo always keeps its promise on hardware.
    Cannot say the same thing for the software

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO