The infamous "New Console Price Gouging" begins: One Wii U Deluxe sold for $750

This is a discussion on The infamous "New Console Price Gouging" begins: One Wii U Deluxe sold for $750 within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; The price gouging begins: Wii U preorders going for up to $750 on eBay | Ars Technica Preorders for Nintendo's ...

INTJ

The infamous "New Console Price Gouging" begins: One Wii U Deluxe sold for $750

The price gouging begins: Wii U preorders going for up to $750 on eBay | Ars Technica

Preorders for Nintendo's upcoming Wii U sold out at every major retailer almost immediately after they were first offered in mid-September, but you can still guarantee yourself access to the system just after its November 18 launch. You'd better be ready to pay quite a bit extra for the privilege, though.

Completed eBay listings dating back to Sept. 20 show resold preorders for the 32GB "Deluxe" system (which comes with a copy of NintendoLand and some accessories) selling for an average of $517, 48 percent higher than the $350 retail price. The eBay markup is significantly less for the 8GB "Basic" system, which is averaging $348 in pre-sale auctions, or just 16 percent above the $300 asking price. That doesn't include pricy shipping for some of the auctions, or auctions that bundle the system with games and further accessories.

One lucky eBay reseller convinced someone to pay $749 for his launch-day Deluxe system—a high price, but not nearly as ridiculous as the $1,550 one Buy It Now seller tried (and failed) to get for his Basic system preorder. On the other end of the scale, a couple of savvy eBay shoppers actually managed to purchase preorders at below retail price, no doubt to the chagrin of the resellers.

Wii U prices aren't any better elsewhere on the Web. Amazon resellers are pricing launch-day access to the Deluxe system at $600 to $1,500, and Basic sets are going for $440 to $1,000 (though it's hard to gauge just how well any of these offerings are actually selling). If that doesn't strike your fancy, you can pay $699 for an accessory-packed "fitness bundle" at a reputable-sounding site like WiiShopExpress.com.

The first Wii was nearly impossible to find for months after its late 2006 launch, and memories of that sales frenzy are likely driving much of the price inflation for resold Wii U preorders ("Remember The First Wii Was Sold Out For Three Consecutive Holiday Seasons," one eBay seller warned in big blue letters). The Wii's extended shortages led some to theorize that Nintendo was intentionally holding back supply to make the system seem more desirable, a charge Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime stringently denied. The fact that the Wii was consistently outselling its higher-priced competition for years also suggests the shortages were caused more by high demand than artificially low supply, though there is some circumstantial evidence that Nintendo has tightly controlled its hardware supplies in the past.

It's way too early to say whether the Wii U will be equally hard to find after the frenzy of its first holiday season is over, but the presence of dozens of completed eBay listings that didn't receive a single bid, even at relatively sane prices, suggest the launch day resale market may already be getting saturated. Still, for those that scoffed at Nintendo offering its system at a starting price as high as $300, these online resales suggest the company might actually have left some money on the table by not charging more for the first wave of consoles.

Angel of Death

100%. That's ridiculous because I am almost positive there will be stocks for the Wii U after like a week of it's release. I would never spend more than $400 on a console again, and even $400 is pushing it. This being said, I'll probably be sucked into the PS4... Regardless, Nintendo made a good price at max $350. Can't believe an idiot bought it for an extra $400.

Change is good

There are some wealthy morons out there.

Resident PHD

I just paid 800$ and now I can play Mario U. Well worth it

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

JINTRAy

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

That's ridiculous. If you wanted the system, should have just pre-ordered it at a store...or wait a while after it's release.

Some people...

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Fight the Future

This is great news. The only reason I pre-ordered the WiiU was to sell it for a profit when it releases and with this news it looks like I'll actually get some money back. I'm glad I pre-ordered the Deluxe version too.