Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 GB Firmware Update Annoys Buyers

This is a discussion on 5 GB Firmware Update Annoys Buyers within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; That's a progress bar 1/8th full after 30 minutes—a four-hour process at this rate—for the Wii U's infamous firmware update, ...

Angel of Death

5 GB Firmware Update Annoys Buyers

That's a progress bar 1/8th full after 30 minutes—a four-hour process at this rate—for the Wii U's infamous firmware update, said to be 5 gigabytes (according to Geoff Keighley of GameTrailers TV, and repeated by numerous others). Sony, you are officially off the hook with the PS3's interminable, poorly timed and mandatory system updates.

It's not like Nintendo's just fixing typoes in the help file, either. This update lets you access online features, transfer data from a Wii, visit the Miiverse and use other online features. So, basically, you're bringing home an unassembled bicycle, and depending on your Internet connection speed, it could be between 1 and 4 hours before that battle station is fully operational. Expect this story to resurface again around Christmas morning.

When it does, expect it to bubble up where it did last night: Twitter, everyone's forum of first resort for complaining. We've collected some voices of frustration for your information and amusement, beginning with the person who supplied that picture above, @LouisLamarche

Read More

I don't care what PS360 says to defend Nintendo in this situation, this is stupid. 5 GB patch first day, plus the fact it leaves the 8 GB Wii U with 3 GB or less? Terrible, and probably one of the worst things to happen to a console since the Red Ring and $600 PS3.

Kid, not loser

So you have to get this update for some of the most sought after features of the device? 5gb is a lot. Many people I'm sure bought the 8gb version, as not many people who bought it are hardcore gamers needing the bigger memory. 3gb is nothing, even for the casual.
    One other thing, is how can they fix this? Those features should be with the device when it is turned on.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Angel of Death

Agreed. They couldn't have at least put those things in before shipping them? Worst part is is that it's not false advertisement for saying 8 GB, when you actually get 3 GB because they do give you 8 GB, but I guess 5 GB is mandatory, so maybe a loophole somewhere. I want them to learn their damn lesson.

Resident PHD

So the most popular game on the WiiU is the Waiting Game

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

News Team

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

Reminds me of the Line Ride from South Park.

Toggle Spoiler

Prayer Warrior

yeah there's nothing at all ps360 can say to defend this and it make any sense. there is no reason at all for a mandatory update that's 5 gigs in size to get many of the sought after features and reasons why people bought the damn thing to begin with. unacceptable.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

That was awesome.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Actually updated mine, it's only about 2GB.

But it is an annoyance.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

> Restart Button <

I'd sure hate getting a brand new system and having to wait that long. How is Nintendo still doing it?

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

illegal in 9 countries

Wii U's internal memory capacity is a fucking joke - Nintendo Explains the Wii U's Storage Options In The Strangest Way Possible

There's a little principle called "truth in advertising" that Nintendo seems unfamiliar with. Basic model usable memory = 3 GB, Elite model usable memory = 25GB.

Without an external HDD, which costs additional money just to use your Wii U with anything more than one small game, the thing is a boat anchor. You can't even play Nintendoland on the Basic model...

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 9 - Gold

People who buy th 8gb model and have no technical knowhow are gonna be screwed when it comes to expanding it, although i heard you can just plug in any external harddrive to it or something.

Cipher sent us to hell

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    People who buy th 8gb model and have no technical knowhow are gonna be screwed when it comes to expanding it, although i heard you can just plug in any external harddrive to it or something.
    Yeah, apparently though it's going to format whatever partition (if any) you set up for it and it can only be used on the console that formatted it.

Customer: My Wii U died. Can I get my data back?
    Nintendo: Oh, your Wii U bricked and you need to buy a new one? Yeah, we're gonna delete all your data off that external. Have fun.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

ADMlNlSTRATOR

So, when can we quit giving a shit about Nintendo?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Last Nintendo System I owned was de NES in de 80's. Got a Genesis and den PS1, PS2 and PS3 in 2008. First system I had was a Colecovision.

Editor in Chief - Editorials

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    So, when can we quit giving a shit about Nintendo?
    Never. Nintendo deserves to be mercilessly mocked for all its many failures. I mean what could possibly possess a company to launch a console, arguably the first of the next generation, with an 8gb storage option. Pretty sure I can buy an 8gb USB stick for $20. Storage is not expensive, so keeping costs down is not an excuse.

A day 1 software update isn't really a problem if they're fixing bugs, and then making an effort to update consoles that haven't been sold yet, but the update is to include software that is more or less essential to the damn thing working. That's just funny.

ADMlNlSTRATOR

So, we can quit giving a shit about Nintendo now?

Lvl 5 - Silver

And to think I was gonna get the 4gig model

INTJ

actually people have monitored their download rates and people are actually getting a .88 GB Download, not a 5 GB.

The guy who originally spread the 5 GB Rumor Was Geoff Kheily, Who has a Press Wii U, not a consumer Wii U.

It is unknown if the Press Wii U Has diffrent stuff from the Consumer Wii U. But mostly everyone that downloaded it that monitored their download rate has claimed anything from 400mbs to .88 GBs, not 5 Gbs.

http://i.imgur.com/sOfST.jpg

IGN Even has said it barely took up space in their Wii U and wasn't near 5 GBs.

the only thing Nintendo did wrong was ripping off Sony's idea of the slowest fucking update in existence due to it being launch day and they wanted to put a bandwith cap to prevent a server fuck up, thats all.

from a bunch of game devs/ people monitoring their bandwith posting on Neogaf (known for a massive Sony bias by the way), not a press member:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500343

How do they know the size? A friend was watching the stream of the guy who downloaded it, he said it was averaging 300K/sec for an hour and five minutes. Which works out to around 1.15GB. A 5GB update being downloaded in that amount of time woulda had him downloading it at like a meg a second, and the guy had graphs and shit showing his up/down speed while he was doing it. And they did not show a meg a second.
    So uh
    I have bandwidth logs on my router, and I'm at about 260MB with what looks like around 25% downloaded. So my guess is that the update is right around or a little over 1GB. I can update once the download is finished.

I'd feel pretty good saying it's about 1GB.

On average, I've been getting about 2,000kb a sec which is slower than usual, but I guess their servers are throttling the downloads. Hopefully later updates won't be as bad.
    Rich from IGN said on twitter that he had the same amount of HD space after the update as his did prior so the data more than likely delete itself afterward. I guess this explains why the update took so long though lol

Hmm. Seems like the update is smaller than 1GB. Mine just finished at around 0.88GB downloaded. That download speed.

This is just another case of sensationalism and false info without looking at the facts.

or you don't have to listen to this and pretend nintendo fucked up massively over a non-existant issue, either one. You'll probably pick this option.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Still .88 is a tenth of the whole storage space gone from the console in the first place, i would of thought 60GB or something would be the base model not so low.

DH
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

Ever since they made the wii nintendo has been nothing but a joke. this is just more proof that they cant bring something that at the very least puts them up to par with microsoft and sony it sad to see a company like nintendo falling behind like they are

PSN ID: Devilhunter290
    Big thanks to D1Mech for this signature and avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast