Report: Wii U dies if power cut during massive firmware update

This is a discussion on Report: Wii U dies if power cut during massive firmware update within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; if for some reason you lose power to your console during a firmware update you are screwed and your new ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Report: Wii U dies if power cut during massive firmware update

if for some reason you lose power to your console during a firmware update you are screwed and your new console is now an expensive paperweight.Report: Wii U dies if power cut during massive firmware update | Joystiq

Kiwi Defender

Reminds me of when the lights went out and took my PS3 alongside them .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    if for some reason you lose power to your console during a firmware update you are screwed and your new console is now an expensive paperweight.Report: Wii U dies if power cut during massive firmware update | Joystiq
    While this sucks, technically your PS3 will do the same thing.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Fight the Future

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I've had my power get cut off many a time (during firmware updates as well) and it still works perfectly. Luckily my powerstrip has a $500,000 insurance policy so if any of my electronics hooked up to it get damaged, they'll get replaced for free.

Basically what this article is saying, don't update your Wii in a thunderstorm.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Not while it's downloading the update
    From what I read, even if your only downloading it the brick will happen, the PS3 can be turned off while downloading the update

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    I've had my power get cut off many a time (during firmware updates as well) and it still works perfectly. Luckily my powerstrip has a $500,000 insurance policy so if any of my electronics hooked up to it get damaged, they'll get replaced for free. Basically what this article is saying, don't update your Wii in a thunderstorm.
    or with your cat in the same room,ive had my cat walk across my powerstrip turning off my ps3 during updates.

Prayer Warrior

i've actually lost power once in the middle of an update. a car wrecked and took powerlines down. once i got power back i fired up my ps3 and it picked up right where it left off. no problem. it would really suck if someone had the auto off set to on and the update took more than an hour and it turned itself off lol nintendo suicide.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    I've had my power get cut off many a time (during firmware updates as well) and it still works perfectly. Luckily my powerstrip has a $500,000 insurance policy so if any of my electronics hooked up to it get damaged, they'll get replaced for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcamicase View Post
    Not while it's downloading the update
    From what I read, even if your only downloading it the brick will happen, the PS3 can be turned off while downloading the update
    All of you are correct. Whether the PS3 dies or not when the lights go out is uncertain, but it could die (like mine did). This happens to virtually every electronic device out there afterall. The thing with the Wii U is that, so far, it seems to be 100% certain it'll die, but I'd rather not belive that until it's been tested enough and countless Wii Us have died to prove it .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    All of you are correct. Whether the PS3 dies or not when the lights go out is uncertain, but it could die (like mine did). This happens to virtually every electronic device out there afterall. The thing with the Wii U is that, so far, it seems to be 100% certain it'll die, but I'd rather not belive that until it's been tested enough and countless Wii Us have died to prove it .

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Watch out people, Nagflar is a proponent advocate for Wii U mercy killings in the names of science!

---

Seriously, we could take half of the negative reports so far from this launch and it would be enough to really hurt the launch. There is so much information that this site hasn't even posted yet from COPPA charges for minors, to the deliberately small battery in the gamepad (so they can of course release a better longer-lasting model later with additional features to make more money), and other little things to call this consoles launch a bit of a disaster.

But guys... Nintendoland is better than a tech demo. Ok?

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

The Temple of the King

What makes me laugh is the fact that Nintendo seems determined to include this update in the WiiU launches in countries outside of the U.S. Bummer.

[Sarcasm] But guys, remember, this is just overblown, sensationalist, Nintendo-hate. Right?[/Sarcasm]

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    But guys... Nintendoland is better than a tech demo. Ok?
    After downloading and installing this mult-gigabyte update, those with a Basic Wii U model will never know. It won't fit in the remaining 3GB of flash storage!

It's a fair assumption that if you disrupt ANY download, your won't brick your PC or console. That's not the case here. The only reason the folks who were affected by this issue reset their Wii U's is because the DL was so large they assumed it had stalled.

Entirely Nintendo's fault, not user error. There should at least be a warning message to let people know not to reboot during the DL.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

apparently there's rumors saying that if this happens the wii u is still downloading it in the background, it just has a black screen.

don't know how true or not they are, but there ya go.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    apparently there's rumors saying that if this happens the wii u is still downloading it in the background, it just has a black screen. don't know how true or not they are, but there ya go.
    i actually read this a little bit ago,was going to post a link,couldnt find the page i read it on though,also what i read was that the update isnt 5 gb its 1.2 and you can download it in the background while playing the wii u,obviously you would need to install it before you could go online which the guy in the article said took him 5 minutes.

Lvl 8 - Gold

this is the link,posting this from my ps3 browser,the website is aussiegamer.com,Wii U Day One Update is Only 1GB, Can be Downloaded in Background