Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Nintendo, do not let this be true

This is a discussion on Nintendo, do not let this be true within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Originally Posted by themute88orl As "all for" I am about balancing content for age appropriateness, this is straight up restrictions. ...

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    As "all for" I am about balancing content for age appropriateness, this is straight up restrictions. Not cool. It's up to the parents to parent.
    ^ this exactly

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    True, then let me rephrase: It's their own store, and they might as well do whatever they want. Will it scare off devs like Capcom who love to release overpiced DLC? Yes. Is Nintendo aware? Yes. Do they seem to care? No.

In the end, all of those who are bothered by this and are makign a rucus aren't going to buy the console (case in point: all the bashers in this and every other Wii U thread), so it's not like Nintendo should care about their opinion, should they?

We also suspected right from the start that there would be little third-party support for the console (and I mean good support, not shovelware) and that the console's main asset would consist of, as usual, first-party games, so it should be no surprise that third-parties won't be interested in getting involved nor that third-party games won't be selling much.
    I think it's unfair to call the majority of us bashers, honestly. I think a lot of us had bought a Wii at some point and expected Nintendo to do something big with it, especially considering how many units it sold. In the end we were left with slim pickings in the third party department and inability for Nintendo to innovate itself with anything other than "safe" IP renewals, and cheap Wii-mote-centric games.

Excuse us for attempting to learn from our previous mistakes and coming into this console announcement with a sense of consumer's skepticism - only to see Nintendo repeat it's same mistakes again, and amazingly enough, dog pile worse things on top of it. When the information comes out, and we go "Nintendo is doing it again..." it's not us bashing, it's us realizing that we have been down this road before - and it left a large majority of us severely wanting.

Nintendo need to cater to two major gaming populous' this generation

1) The people who they scared away with the Wii.
    2) Third-Party developers.

So far neither is working so well for the company, and excuse us for calling Nintendo on it's empty promises, shady practices, and lack of understanding on what it's non-rabid fan base wants.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Angel of Death

I just hope that Nintendo of America and Japan don't start doing this. This is really stupid; parents should be more responsible if they want to block their kids from buying M games.

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Given that the Wii U can support a more Mature audience, it doesn't seem right to restrict it.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

INTJ

Blame Germany, The video game nazis. Not nintendo.

Nintendo: German Law To Blame for eShop's M-Rated Euro-Restrictions | Side Mission | GameTrailers

Last week we reported on some interesting late night limitations to the Wii U's European eShop. Nintendo says the restrictions are in place to comply with German law.

Nintendo explained to Eurogamer that legal age restriction requirements vary across a number of European countries. Due to Nintendo of Europe’s location in Germany, the company is falling in line with the country’s youth protection regulations.

Under German law, content rated 18+ must be made available only at night.

Depending on Wii U owners’ specific location in Europe, mature content will either be available from 11p.m. to 3a.m. or 12a.m. to 4a.m.

Nintendo seems to have no complaints about following Germany’s rules. The company says that it will do whatever is necessary to provide a safe gaming experience for fans of all ages.

too bad everyone is going to be a fucking idiot and pretend it's nintendo's fault somehow.

PRO Member

I don't get it, surely the problem is kids getting their parents to purchase them the games (If it is indeed, a "problem"...) I don't get how this curfew can battle this. If their folks are gonna buy them the games they're just gonna get them elsewere surely?

Atleast this is stopping all of the kids who wake up at 3:30 AM to buy games that I'm guessing are overpriced through the Wii-U system.

I'm sure there's a way of verifying ones age to buy restricted content, surely that's the easiest way?

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    I think it's unfair to call the majority of us bashers, honestly. I think a lot of us had bought a Wii at some point and expected Nintendo to do something big with it, especially considering how many units it sold. In the end we were left with slim pickings in the third party department and inability for Nintendo to innovate itself with anything other than "safe" IP renewals, and cheap Wii-mote-centric games.

Excuse us for attempting to learn from our previous mistakes and coming into this console announcement with a sense of consumer's skepticism - only to see Nintendo repeat it's same mistakes again, and amazingly enough, dog pile worse things on top of it. When the information comes out, and we go "Nintendo is doing it again..." it's not us bashing, it's us realizing that we have been down this road before - and it left a large majority of us severely wanting.

Nintendo need to cater to two major gaming populous' this generation

1) The people who they scared away with the Wii.
    2) Third-Party developers.

So far neither is working so well for the company, and excuse us for calling Nintendo on it's empty promises, shady practices, and lack of understanding on what it's non-rabid fan base wants.
    I'm not including you in the 'bashing' group. Unlike many of the others, you don't post just out of spite against Nintendo (or Ps360, which is the reason most of 'em seem to do it anyway). Personally, I never bought a Wii and most likely won't do it for quite some time. I never expected them to do anything about it, not to mention I like having a normal controller on my hands instead of having to wave them through the air. The only reason I'll probably buy one at some point later on is the ability to play GameCube games and a few worth-playing Wii exclusives like Skyward Sword, Brawl or Mad World.

As I said, based on all the previous posts, almost all of us were expecting Nintendo to do the same thing over and over again (excluding Ps360, who actually expects them not to), so the idea of third-party devs not supporting the Wii U in the long-run shouldn't come as a surprise at all.

Actually, Nintendo's actually pulling it off without catering to those two aspects, afterall, they (apparently) sold over 400,000 units when they launched it and going against Black Friday deals that made the PS3 and 360 even cheaper. This means they'll probably sell a batshit of units in the short-run (i.e. until the next Microsoft and Sony consoles come out) which is what they seemed to be after from the beginning. This means they'll most likely keep surviving just because they've got very loyal and stupid fans that keep supporting them, plus a shitton of casuals who can't get enough Mario games.

As with the Wii, I won't buy the Wii U until it's dirty cheap and it has a few games worth-playing. Sadly, not everyone thinks like me or you, so in the end it'll still sell like hotcakes for a year or two, letting Nintendo live on and keep doing the same over and over again.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 6 - Silver

stupid decisions from german laws and nintendo

Retired

Stupid Nintendo.
    And stupid PS360 for kissing ass and calling me a fucking idiot.

Oh well, morning time here is night time in the US.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by AJL_LEYJA View Post
    stupid decisions from german laws and nintendo
    how is it stupid on the part of nintendo,they have to obey the law.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Undrey View Post
    Stupid Nintendo.
    And stupid PS360 for kissing ass and calling me a fucking idiot.

Oh well, morning time here is night time in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    how is it stupid on the part of nintendo,they have to obey the law.
    Not good enough for him I guess .

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post

What ?
    Jagoff.

Gothams Silent Protector

You mad - You are angry.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSamurai View Post
    You mad - You are angry.
    I'm not stupid, I meant I did not post anything that made me look like I'm angry.
    And this guy has been been posting crap to me a couple of times, just this week.

The Temple of the King

No matter what the excuse, it's still bad implications of restrictions in response to a law. With the limited amount of information we knew about why this restriction was put into place until yesterday afternoon, (I found out around 8 AM EST today and this thread did start almost a day ago for me), calling us all idiots for getting annoyed with this news is pushing it. Sometimes I wonder if PS360 understands why he is the self proclaimed "PS3 Trophies punching bag."

Even though I'm stationed in the U.S., I still don't understand why Nintendo has to do this throughout Europe instead of just Germany.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Blame Germany, The video game nazis. Not nintendo.

Nintendo: German Law To Blame for eShop's M-Rated Euro-Restrictions | Side Mission | GameTrailers

too bad everyone is going to be a fucking idiot and pretend it's nintendo's fault somehow.
    It is though, Nintendo doesn't have to do this for all the European countries but they are...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    It is though, Nintendo doesn't have to do this for all the European countries but they are...
    read up on how laws work

if their servers and HQ are located in germany, it's a requirement reguardless of what country tries to access it.

Valve's EU HQ isn't in germany, thus they don't have to follow the german laws.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

read up on how laws work

if their servers and HQ are located in germany, it's a requirement reguardless of what country tries to access it.

Then find out which other European country would enjoy to have your major business center for it's region (I am sure there a dozen other countries that would take them) and move your company somewhere else so you don't have to cut off your foot to spite your toe.

Or even better, rent some crummy strip mall building and declare that your headquarters and call the current headquarters your auxiliary structure so that all of Europe doesn't have to suffer because of one countries overly strict laws on mature content.

I swear if this were anybody else, you'd be having a raging cow and posting dozens of posts on how stupid they are, but because this is Nintendo - they're exempt from any wrongs.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 8 - Gold

read up on how laws work

And I can assure you it'd be cheaper and much more beneficial of them to move the servers from Germany to another much more better country.
    They will after all lose a lot of money from this piece of shit idea...

Also (this isn't directed at you PS360), I've gotta laugh at how games journalism haven't picked up on this much at all, but if this was Sony or Microsoft we'd have in excess of 20 articles a day talking about how this effects the industry and gamers and how Sony/Microsoft just do not get it or understand gaming.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Also (this isn't directed at you PS360), I've gotta laugh at how games journalism haven't picked up on this much at all, but if this was Sony or Microsoft we'd have in excess of 20 articles a day talking about how this effects the industry and gamers and how Sony/Microsoft just do not get it or understand gaming.
    its been in like every single site on november 31st.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast