Japan Club Nintendo hacked...

This is a discussion on Japan Club Nintendo hacked... within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Nintendo's Kyoto-based HQ just announced that Club Nintendo, its member rewards site, has been hacked. This was discovered when a ...

DON'T BLINK

Japan Club Nintendo hacked...

Nintendo's Kyoto-based HQ just announced that Club Nintendo, its member rewards site, has been hacked. This was discovered when a large number of access errors began appearing on July 2. That's when Nintendo began investigating the issue.

According to Nintendo's investigation, there were 23,000 unauthorized log-ins (with 15 million attempts) between June 9 and July 4 on Japan's Club Nintendo site. This does not seem to apply to Club Nintendo sites in other countries.

In Japan, it's possible that Club Nintendo members' full names, home addresses, phone numbers, and mail addresses were compromised. Credit cards, however, are not used with Club Nintendo, so thankfully, that's not an issue.

Currently, Nintendo is strengthening its security. Old passwords are currently invalid, and Nintendo is asking Club Nintendo members to change their passwords via email.

In Japan, Nintendo Was Hacked

edit: so it takes Nintendo almost a whole month before catching a hack? where is the hate? the backlash? where is Ps360?

( thanks djunglist for this awesome GDT sig)

Kiwi Defender

Good thing that thing isn't a full-fledged network that includes credit card numbers and/or really important information (although addresses are important), or this could've been terrible for some peeps.

I wonder how they pulled it off without Nintendo noticing, though.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

DON'T BLINK

I'd consider my home address and phone number pretty damn important. Not as much as a credit card, but still

INTJ

karma for having the better prizes.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

The One and Only

At least the credit card numbers weren't compromise, that's a plus. But still, a month of that is pretty bad. :/

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

the more i read about this the more it seems less like a hack and more like a bruteforce attack.

Get a set of passwords stolen from another major site then run it with a bunch of account names till one breaks into a account.

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

illegal in 9 countries

15 million bruteforce login attempts should have raised a red flag far earlier than a month. Piss-poor security Nintendo.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    15 million bruteforce login attempts should have raised a red flag far earlier than a month. Piss-poor security Nintendo.
    every site is victim to it.

if it blocks you from that ip from logging in doesn't actually matter if you have a bunch of zombie computers to use.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    every site is victim to it.

if it blocks you from that ip from logging in doesn't actually matter if you have a bunch of zombie computers to use.
    I can detect a bruteforce attack on a site within minutes if not seconds, and can shut down a bruteforce attack automatically. Why can't Nintendo? Because they didn't setup intrusion detection systems, that's why.

If you're on the internet, bruteforce attacks come with the territory. They should have learnt from the experience of their competitors and implemented systems before it became a problem, not after.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I can detect a bruteforce attack on a site within minutes if not seconds, and can shut down a bruteforce attack automatically. Why can't Nintendo? Because they didn't setup intrusion detection systems, that's why.

If you're on the internet, bruteforce attacks come with the territory. They should have learnt from the experience of their competitors and implemented systems before it became a problem, not after.
    Argue all you want, Ps360 has their head so far up Nintendo's ass that they can look out the mouth. You know if this was Sony again you'd never hear the end of it

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    Argue all you want, Ps360 has their head so far up Nintendo's ass that they can look out the mouth. You know if this was Sony again you'd never hear the end of it
    Just like many people here won't stop talking about this just to try to piss Ps360 off. I wonder who's thicker than a rock in that case.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.