Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nintendo PR Advertises the fact that they have female protagonists in games.

This is a discussion on Nintendo PR Advertises the fact that they have female protagonists in games. within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Nintendo PR actively promoting playable female characters - Destructoid Nintendo is generally thought to exist in its own fancy little ...

INTJ

Nintendo PR Advertises the fact that they have female protagonists in games.

Nintendo PR actively promoting playable female characters - Destructoid

Nintendo is generally thought to exist in its own fancy little bubble, protected from the outside world and faintly out of touch with the rest of us. However, Nintendo of America's marketing department may be a bit more savvy than we thought, and seems to have an ear to the ground when it comes to hot topics.

Take, for instance, the thorny issue of female protagonists. E3 in particular was a hotbed of complaints that almost all game leads were burly men being manly and burly, with only Nintendo really offering us something different. Having heard that praise, Nintendo is now actively promoting playable female characters as a selling point, starting with Pikmin 3.

Jon Wahlgren uploaded a photo of a Nintendo press release, one boasting of Pikmin 3's new co-protagonist, Brittany.

"In the game players take command of three new characters," explains the promotional fluff. "Alph, Charlie, and in a first for the series, female explorer Brittany. Brittany is one of the many playable female characters in upcoming Wii U games."

Some have considered this an odd move on Nintendo's part, going out of its way to talk about female characters. Others may even consider it somewhat patronizing. It does, however, make sense when you consider what a hot-button topic this has become, especially amongst the gaming press to whom such press releases are being sent. It's got people talking right now, so I'd say the mission was accomplished!

In any case, Nintendo earned its praise for revealing things like a returning playable Princess Peach in Super Mario 3D World, at a time where publishers still desperately cling to muscular soldier men called Jake because that's what focus-tested teenage boys say they want. Nintendo always seems to want to do its own thing, chained not by a subservience to trends and marketing, and as such, it's in a position to be more open-minded and serve a wider audience than those companies who are, ironically, restricting what their games can be in a clawing bid to "reach a wider audience."

It's easy to think of Nintendo as the kindly uncle who's not quite with us in the real world, but this was a smart little move. Whether it'll pay off is another matter, but I can certainly dig where it's going.

Nintendo Supporting Good Female Characters while mostly every other game has a male protagonist.

why aren't you supporting progress?

Lvl 4 - Silver

Personally I really don't care who or what I play as so long as I'm having fun and the character isn't annoying.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Because there are no games on Sony AND Xbox with playable female characters right? You can do better than this

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    Because there are no games on Sony AND Xbox with playable female characters right? You can do better than this
    there's a difference between Female characters and Good female characters.

Samus
    Ashley
    Lynn
    Eirika
    Lucina
    Jody Summers
    Krystal
    Palutena
    Sammy
    Nana
    Midina
    Dixie Kong
    Goombella
    Rosalina
    Paula
    Shiek/Zelda
    Anyone from Golden Sun, WarioWare, Xenoblade, or Sin & Punishment

all good female characters

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    You mean like Nintendo taking the rights to Bayonetta all the themselves? yes, they are all about advancement and not having overly sexual female lead characters

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    You mean like Nintendo taking the rights to Bayonetta all the themselves? yes, they are all about advancement and not having overly sexual female lead characters
    read the list.

also using bayonetta as a bad example of a female character, lol.

she's one of the most amazing badasses ever. She kicked a final boss into the sun.

Kiwi Defender

Samus
    Ashley
    Lynn
    Eirika
    Lucina
    Jody Summers
    Krystal
    Palutena
    Sammy
    Nana
    Midina
    Dixie Kong
    Goombella
    Rosalina
    Paula
    Shiek/Zelda

Shame most of them are co-protagonists and nothing else, meaning the games are not about them, but about the burly men being manly and burly that happen to be the game protagonists.

Go figure!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Nobody said Nintendo didn't have good female characters, but Nintendo is not the only company with them.

While I do agree with you on the most part of that list, Krystal is just terrible and so is Other M Samus.

DON'T BLINK

Samus
    Ashley
    Lynn
    Eirika
    Lucina
    Jody Summers
    Krystal
    Palutena
    Sammy
    Nana
    Midina
    Dixie Kong
    Goombella
    Rosalina
    Paula
    Shiek/Zelda

so good that nobody knows who the fuck they are!

seriously i know like 4 of them

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post

opinions mean nothing in the face of facts

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Shame most of them are co-protagonists and nothing else, meaning the games are not about them, but about the burly men being manly and burly that happen to be the game protagonists.

Go figure!
    most of the characters in the list save the main character many times. Without them the main characters would be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by TL OWNS U View Post
    While I do agree with you on the most part of that list, Krystal is just terrible and so is Other M Samus.

Krystal is average but she's not as shit as most of the other female characters these days.

Other M samus doesn't count in my book. The Actual samus aran is everything before that. The Bounty hunter so feared that aliens tell stories about her being awesome. There's a reason Metroid is my favorite nintendo franchise.

i forgot a few nintendo female characters, most of them are from fire emblem though so yea.

ill list Lucina, anna, and Lissa as examples.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post

That's just being a little ignorant, though . But do know most of them are average characters and nothing else.

most of the characters in the list save the main character many times. Without them the main characters would be dead.
    And? They're still co-protagonists, nothing else. To put that on perspective, Navi "the annoying blue fairy" from Ocarina of Time, is also a co-protagonist. Even if he had been removed from the game, someone (or something) else would've been added to the game to serve Navi's purpose. If you remove Jody Summers from F-Zero, no one will give a crap, for she'll just be replaced by another racer. Same goes with most of them.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Samus
    Ashley
    Lynn
    Eirika
    Lucina
    Jody Summers
    Krystal
    Palutena
    Sammy
    Nana
    Midina
    Dixie Kong
    Goombella
    Rosalina
    Paula
    Shiek/Zelda

Aside from the fact that at least a quarter of these are not "good" female characters, here is my rebuttal.

*Cracks knuckles*

Ahem.

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning: not only a strong female protagonist, Lightning is the main character of the trilogy, and leads by example.
    Heavenly Sword - Nariko: basically the female Kratos, this chick is badass, and a strong leading character
    Gravity Rush - Kat: a young superpowered girl charged with saving the town of Hekseville
    Tomb Raider (2013) - Lara Croft: reimagined character that lost a lot of the over-sexualisation that was present in the past games.
    The Last of Us - Ellie: certainly one of the strongest female protagonists, in a game surrounded by equally strong female supporting characters.
    Mass Effect - Female Shep: charged with saving the whole gorram galaxy
    Remember Me - Nilin: a strong, self-reliant female character
    BEYOND: Two Souls - Jodie Holmes: main character, played by femenist Ellen Page
    Portal - Chell - silent protagonist, but a woman nonetheless
    Mirror's Edge - Faith: parkour expert, competent fighter, she fights against an oppressive government.
    Assassin's Creed III: Liberation - Aveline: the series' first female protagonist, she's also a half-caste.
    Velvet Assassin - Violette Summer: inspired by the real-life spy, Violette Szabo, she's a spy in WWII
    Heavy Rain - Ensemble: while Ethan Mars is the main character, Heavy Rain features an ensemble of fleshed-out female characters
    America McGee's Alice - Alice: a messed up interpretation of the Lewis Carroll story, without all the paedophilic undertones
    Half-Life 2 - Alyx Vance: while not a playable character, she has a strong presense in all three HL2 games
    Hydrophobia - Kate Wilson: kind of scraping the barrel here, because this game sucked. Nonetheless, she's a strong female protagonist.

This is a good cross-section of the "good" female protagonists on both major platforms.

It's also funny that you left off Princess Peach, the perpetual damsel in distress, forever in the clutches of a foe awaiting her male rescuer.

It's also worth mentioning that Nintendo's primary target demo is younger children and families; over-sexualising characters would make no business sense, because you'd basically be ensuring that the game wouldn't sell. It's not so much a commitment to honouring women, or a refusal to participate in the denegration of the gender, as much as it is a desire to sell games on a console supported by two of the few demographics that do not respond to sex as an advertising gimmick.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Nintendo may not be "oversexualizing" their characters such as Dead or Alive, Fear Effect, or the upcoming Dragon's Crown do, but to act like Nintendo is the a front runner in the form of maximizing female equality in video games one of the most overreaching statements a person could make. Aside from Samus Aran (who nobody is going to argue) every other character that has more than two words to say, has acted the "female in peril who needs a man to rescue her." Both of Nintendo's primary franchises - Mario and Zelda - are built off the concept of females needing a man to rescue them from capture by, get this, another man. A format that Nintendo has perpetuated for decades and continued to exploit time and time again.

If we're going to talk about the last decade in video games, there are a shit ton of positive female characters that any parent could tell their daughter to be like, such as Jade (Beyond Good & Evil), Faith Connors (Mirror's Edge), The Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater), Claire Redfield (Resident Evil: Code Veronica), Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII), or Alyx Vance (Half Life 2). Are there a lot of them who aren't just T&A in comparison to their male counterparts? No, there isn't, but if you'll notice something, Nintendo's representation on that list is sorely lacking, and it's arguable they hurt their main representative's case, Samus, with her last outing. So in recent memory, Nintendo has been just as guilty as everybody else of exploiting the old adage that "sex sells."

Nintendo must be in desperate need of marketing if they're clutching at strays and acting like an added character to a preexisting franchise is going to make females all of sudden come in droves.

The spinmaster continues to grasp at straws.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It's also funny that you left off Princess Peach, the perpetual damsel in distress, forever in the clutches of a foe awaiting her male rescuer.

also the fact she's a playable character in the new game doesn't help that.

one sec im writing a list to respond to the female characters you listed i have a problem with.

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning is one of the worst written characters in the entire FF Series and is literally a copy paste of cloud but female. what are you doing.

Heavenly Sword - Nariko is bland as hell. Her Cat girl sidekick has tons of more personality than her. The only positive aspect she has is that she kicks alot of ass.

Tomb Raider (2013) - The 2013 Laura Croft that always has clean hair no matter what and only suffers a few cuts while having tons of sex appeal and semi-bad writing?

The Last of Us - Ellie: I Could not connect to Ellie in any way. Why not have a better character in a zombie apocolypse like Clementime (then again, It's hard to consider the walking dead as a actual game because it's just interactive cutscenes wrapped into a visual novel.)

Mass Effect - Female Shep: If you just said mass effect 1 i would agree, But Mass effect 2 and 3 Ruined it so hard.

Remember Me - Nilin: If she's such a good character why is the game a massive failure? Not one person said the game was good for it's writing.

BEYOND: Two Souls - Jodie Holmes: You mean another badly written david cage character that isn't even released yet that keeps attempting to commit suicide because she isn't strong enough? oh joy.

Heavy Rain - Ensemble: A Lying Reporter Is a good female protagonist?

Hydrophobia - Kate Wilson: hahahah no

Lord of all Goat-Men

Links a game about a girl using emotions as powers

one sec im writing a list to respond to the female characters you listed i have a problem with.
    opinions mean nothing in the face of facts.

INTJ

-quotes-
    Good writing/Bad Writing Discussions are opinions.

They are subjective.

Links a game about a girl using emotions as powers
    Male Protagonists feel emotions when they save people.

Determination is a emotion.

Kiwi Defender

Good writing/Bad Writing Discussions are opinions.

They are subjective.
    Not entirely. Go take a good literature class somewhere and you'll realize that's not really true. There's a reason for which stuff like Twilight can be objectively called horrible writing, and others, like Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, can be objectively called masterpieces.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Not entirely. Go take a good literature class somewhere and you'll realize that's not really true. There's a reason for which stuff like Twilight can be objectively called horrible writing, and others, like Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, can be objectively called masterpieces.
    People can still hate "objective masterpieces"

for example i dont like lord of the rings. i don't like the writing at all. the only impressive part of the series is it's creations of fake languages.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning is one of the worst written characters in the entire FF Series and is literally a copy paste of cloud but female. what are you doing While I can somewhat agree, I thought Vanille and Hope were more poorly written.

The Last of Us - Ellie: I Could not connect to Ellie in any way. Why not have a better character in a zombie apocolypse like Clementime (then again, It's hard to consider the walking dead as a actual game because it's just interactive cutscenes wrapped into a visual novel.) Just because YOU can't connect to them doesn't mean they're a bad character.

Mass Effect - Female Shep: If you just said mass effect 1 i would agree, But Mass effect 2 and 3 Ruined it so hard. Agreed

Remember Me - Nilin: If she's such a good character why is the game a massive failure? Not one person said the game was good for it's writing. So because the game was a failure the characters weren't good?

Heavy Rain - Ensemble: A Lying Reporter Is a good female protagonist? Not every character has to be 100% good to be a good protagonist. You're just nitpicking

Replies are in bold, but you probably knew that.

Kiwi Defender

People can still hate "objective masterpieces"

for example i dont like lord of the rings. i don't like the writing at all. the only impressive part of the series is it's creations of fake languages.
    Obviously. Not everyone enjoys the same stuff, which is the reason shitty music, TV shows, movies, books and games are liked by many people, and good ones are not. Something may be great, but it could still be disliked for whatever reason the viewer/reader/player/whatever has. However, that does not mean it is bad.

Toggle Spoiler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast