Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nintendo Has To Sell 2 Million Wii Us Per Month To Reach Its Goal

This is a discussion on Nintendo Has To Sell 2 Million Wii Us Per Month To Reach Its Goal within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; A source close to NPD has confirmed to IGN that 222,700 Wii U consoles were sold in the United States ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Nintendo Has To Sell 2 Million Wii Us Per Month To Reach Its Goal

A source close to NPD has confirmed to IGN that 222,700 Wii U consoles were sold in the United States in November.The last official Wii U sales number reported by Nintendo was 3.91 million worldwide as of late October. Combined with this new 222,000 and weekly sales in Japan and Europe since the beginning of November, we estimate that Nintendo has sold approximately 4.3 million Wii U consoles worldwide to date.
    Nintendo previously announced that it's aiming to sell 9 million Wii Us worldwide during its 2014 fiscal year (which concludes on March 31, 2014). Nintendo sold 160,000systems in the first quarter and 300,000 units in the second quarter. Added to this new 222,000, this means Nintendo would need to sell an additional 8.3 million Wii Us before the end of March in order to reach its goal, or between 2.0-2.1 million consoles per month in December, January, February and March.
    Earlier this month, analysts predicted that Nintendo "will likely miss" its profit goals for Wii U. Market research firm DFC Intelligence also recently predicted that Wii U will sell 25 percent as well as Wii.In response to yesterday’s NPD report, Nintendo simply said that “sales of Wii U hardware increased by more than 340 percent over sales in October,” but declined to provide specific sales figures officially. Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America executive vice president of sales and marketing, commented on NPD results by noting that, “in looking at these results, two things are indisputable: Our hardware is gaining momentum at the exact right time and our software catalog is stronger than ever.”
    IGN spoke with Jesse Divnich, VP of Insights at EEDAR, about Wii U's current fortunes. Given potential supply limitations for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, we asked if Nintendo could see a boost this holiday season. "Even with the hardware constraints of the new hardware, Nintendo has their own battles to contend with but certainly they are not operating under favorable conditions with all the visibility and marketing the new platforms are getting," Divnich said.
    When asked if a hardware price drop could be a potential solution, Divnich commented, "Hardware price drops should always be a last resort. They are permanent and have considerable impacts on the bottom line. That being said, price drops do increase hardware sales and both retailers and consumers will always pressure for lower price points, but it may not always be conducive to a healthy bottom line. I believe if Nintendo could drop the price without negatively impacting their bottom-line they would have. Once conditions are right, they are likely to drop the price again."
    Wii U launched in November 2012 in North America and Europe, followed by a December 2012 launch in Japan. PlayStation 4, which launched on November 15, 2013 in the U.S., has sold 2.1 million units globally as of the beginning of this month, and Xbox One, which launched worldwide a week later, sold 2 million consoles globally in 18 days.
    It’s worth noting that some of Nintendo’s biggest franchises will come in the first quarter of 2014, including Mario Kart 8 in Spring 2014 and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze on February 21. Additional Wii U titles on the horizon include the next Super Smash Bros. as well as a new Zelda, which is expected to debut at E3 2014."We should anticipate a small uptick in hardware sales as Nintendo’s first party software has shown the ability to increase hardware sales," Divnich commented.
    We’ve reached out to Nintendo regarding Wii U’s sales to date and whether or not the target of nine million is expected to be revised. We’ll update this story with any comment we receive.
    Nintendo Has To Sell 2 Million Wii Us Per Month To Reach Its Goal - IGN

Let's hope they can do it!

Fight the Future

Give it a price drop to make the "Deluxe" version (with it's massive 32GB HDD!) around $150 and it'll sell pretty well. Why get a Wii U at $300 when you can spend $100 more and get a true next gen system that is better than the Wii U in every way? It needs a price drop badly.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'll happily buy a Wii U deluxe for $200.

Kiwi Defender

I see no price-drop happening in the near future, and both Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze can't make more than seven million people buy a Wii U, not even together. Even if the rumored new Legend of Zelda title was announced before March, people wouldn't buy the console until the game itself was released.

Nintendo will miss their mark, that's pretty much a fact from nowaday's perspective. The only question is by how much they'll miss it.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 7 - Gold

hmmmm a newbie posting about Nintendo..... is this a PS360 punk???? oh and who cares its a wii u lol, not gunna even get close!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Man-023 View Post
    hmmmm a newbie posting about Nintendo..... is this a PS360 punk???? oh and who cares its a wii u lol, not gunna even get close!
    Good to know some people still post in this forums without bothering to read the title, let alone the OP itself. Allows literate people to have a few, good laughs.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Oh goody, more haters to ignore.

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by LakeHylia View Post
    Oh goody, more haters to ignore.
    Haters where? This is what happens when you don't advertise your home console in favor of your handheld.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I have had a Wii U for quite some time now and I haven't really touched it. Me and the missus got it for our little girl who plays on it quite often. I'm sure there are some really snazzy things it can do but I'm not well clued about it. And if there is one thing that I am looking forward to next year is the new installment of Mario Kart. I've seen gameplay of it and it looks awesome, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will do a bundle of some description as Mario Kart has always been popular, but like Nagflar says, are several million people going to buy a Wii U for Mario Kart?

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I have had a Wii U for quite some time now and I haven't really touched it. Me and the missus got it for our little girl who plays on it quite often. I'm sure there are some really snazzy things it can do but I'm not well clued about it. And if there is one thing that I am looking forward to next year is the new installment of Mario Kart. I've seen gameplay of it and it looks awesome, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will do a bundle of some description as Mario Kart has always been popular, but like Nagflar says, are several million people going to buy a Wii U for Mario Kart?
    Well, if you won't play it, I'll take it. Me, I'm getting Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Kiwi Defender

Well, if you won't play it, I'll take it. Me, I'm getting Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
    One of those hasn't even been released lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    One of those hasn't even been released lol.
    Exactly, they're on my wish list at the moment.

Lol. I know I don't play on it often but I'll see what my little girl says to that, and I'm pretty certain I know what the answer will be :p. The Super mario 3D land is however an awesome game and great with the family. Although I'm kind of old school personally, I prefere mario as it should be imo. New Super Mario Bros for the wii was a cracking game with great visuals as was the first mario game for the Wii U. But once again, as Nagflar says, are these redesigned old schoold games going to be able to help shift a few units?

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    The Super mario 3D land
    ಠ_ಠ I thought we were talking about the Wii U, not the 3DS.

News Team

More of Nintendo's fault for having two games so similarly named... Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Vettes View Post
    More of Nintendo's fault for having two games so similarly named... Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World
    Bit lost in mythology, eh?

Super Mario 3D Land, a handheld title, has the title based on Super Mario Land for Game Boy, a handheld.

Whereas Super Mario 3D World's title, on the console, is based on Super Mario World for SNES, a console.

Kiwi Defender

Bit lost in mythology, eh?

Super Mario 3D Land, a handheld title, has the title based on Super Mario Land for Game Boy, a handheld.

Whereas Super Mario 3D World's title, on the console, is based on Super Mario World for SNES, a console.
    That's not mythology, it's history . And I'm sure he knows that, but it doens't change the fact the names confuse people.

Toggle Spoiler

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    That's not mythology, it's history . And I'm sure he knows that, but it doens't change the fact the names confuse people.
    Sort of how like New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii almost share the same name.

My mistake my good man. Like one of the post's above says, it's bloody confusing lol. I was indeed refering to the Wii U and thus, 3D world :p

worlds biggest welch fan

holy shit that is a lot of Wii U's every month

best of luck Nintendo, I might get one in the future maybe.
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast