Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8

This is a discussion on Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8 within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Nintendo lost $97.2 million in the yearly quarter ending June 30, the company confirmed in its latest batch of quarterly ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8

Nintendo lost $97.2 million in the yearly quarter ending June 30, the company confirmed in its latest batch of quarterly results.

The staggering loss comes even despite the successful sales of Mario Kart 8 earlier this year, which saw shipments of 2.82 million. Why? Nintendo states that these sales can be attributed to existing Wii U owners and not new buyers. The company shipped just 510,000 units of the console between April and June.

Despite this, Nintendo still expects to hit its target of 3.6 million units sold for this fiscal year. The Wii U's total shipments rose to 6.68 million as of June.

The company confirms Mario Kart 8 represents 65 percent of the total 4.39 million software shipments made in this three month period, 80 percent of which came from outside Japan.

Nintendo appears to be finding most of its success in handheld devices, however. The company shipped 820,000 3DS units across April to June, taking the system's total figures to over 44 million.

Looking forward, Nintendo said it expects to continue producing "robust" profits from the Nintendo 3DS system with the release of the Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby remakes, as well as Super Smash Bros. in October.
    '

RIP Bayonetta 2. S A D B O Y S.

source: Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8 | Polygon

Plats-O'-War!!

$97 MILLION!!!! Damn, that's a lot of money!!

Kiwi Defender

I'm surprised Mario Kart 8 only managed to sell around 500,000 Wii U's - one would've thought more people were interested. Still, it's amazing the 3DS sold so much with little-to-no high-profile games being released lately. No wonder the damn thing's sold 44 million units already.

Either way, we know the new Smash will sell like hotcakes and sell at least a million Wii U's, supposing people who buy it for their 3DS don't end up being satisfied with that.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

News Team

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Either way, we know the new Smash will sell like hotcakes and sell at least a million Wii U's, supposing people who buy it for their 3DS don't end up being satisfied with that.
    I think we can say if it doesn't sell at least that many, there may be a problem.

Toggle Spoiler

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Vettes View Post
    I think we can say if it doesn't sell at least that many, there may be a problem.
    If Mario Kart 8 sold nearly 3 million copies and managed to sell half a million Wii U's, it's hard to believe Smash won't get to at least one million, so that problem might as well never arise.

That said, they're stuck in a huge problem already anyway! About 2 years of existance, and the damn thing hasn't sold 7 million units yet . To make things worse for them, 3rd party devs seem to be losing all interest they claimed to have before in the console, so they're starting to look more and more dependant on their own 1st party games, which aren't enough.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

News Team

To make things worse for them, 3rd party devs seem to be losing all interest they claimed to have before in the console, so they're starting to look more and more dependent on their own 1st party games, which aren't enough.
    That vicious cycle of "system isn't selling well because of lack of 3rd party titles, 3rd parties don't want in due to weak sales" The only reason PS4 and X1 have combined for nearly 15 million sales already is the assurance of each year's major 3rd party titles.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 7 - Gold

It won't. Mario Kart is a lot more popular than Smash and even that barely made the Wii U sell. They shipped 500k units, not sell. The funny part is, the 3DS version of the game comes out before the Wii U version. Even less people will buy the Wii U version. Nintendo should of went with cross-buy but now they're suffering for it.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    It won't. Mario Kart is a lot more popular than Smash and even that barely made the Wii U sell. They shipped 500k units, not sell. The funny part is, the 3DS version of the game comes out before the Wii U version. Even less people will buy the Wii U version. Nintendo should of went with cross-buy but now they're suffering for it.
    Mario Kart is more popular? Where ? Shipping/selling numbers are usually used in the same manner, since you can't really get exact figures on sales.

Yeah, doing cross-buy could be benefical for them if they do decide to do it, but I wouldn't count on it not selling well. This is a very far-fetched example, but if the newest Mortal Kombat was a Sony exclusive available for the Vita and PS3 (or 4) and the handheld release was before that of the console one, would you really buy it for the Vita instead of your console? Would you really preffer to play on a small screen? Let's also suppose the Vita controls and those of the DualShock where a bit more different, and then you have yet another issue regarding what you're more comfortable with playing.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

the problem wasn't that the Mario Kart 8 WiiU bundle didn't sell well, its the fact that it didn't sell well because not that many were shipped to retailers. Toys R Us where I work sold only about 30 WiiU units that were bundled with Mario Kart 8, and we haven't got any in since we last sold out about 5 weeks ago. Best Buy down the street has been out for almost as long and have yet to receive any. Walmart, both near my house and near my work, have been out for a couple weeks. If they wanted to sell more units, they should've sent more out

Resident PHD

I have sold more Wii-Us than PS3 and XboxOnes (almost combine) since MK8 has come out. Now this will probably change come Fall when both systems have a lot more games coming out but at least for now that is the case.

Funny enough I have actually sold about 4 times as many Vitas this month over 3Ds/2DS systems . I have only sold 2 3ds and 1 2ds but have sold about 10 vitas.

So I guess my store is the anomaly in those figures

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

I'm surprised Mario Kart 8 only managed to sell around 500,000 Wii U's - one would've thought more people were interested. Still, it's amazing the 3DS sold so much with little-to-no high-profile games being released lately. No wonder the damn thing's sold 44 million units already.

I actually think this is indicative of a problem Nintendo has that was/is caused by last generation. I am sure others in the industry have pointed this out, but this is exactly why you don't go after the casual gamer. They won't buy the Wii U just because it is out and new games are there or because they know the games are coming, it has to satisfy a need that justifies a price tag more than what they spend in an average year in games. Wii U sales/attach rates have been abysmal, and I think Nintendo is having a problem that their bread-and-butter franchises aren't selling units anymore (I mean... This is Mario Kart 8!). The lack of 3rd party support and new-IPs is keeping the regular/hardcore gamer from dedicating money and time to the Wii U.

This is compounded by the poor hardware design. The WiiU gamepad makes the system both difficult to develop for (what do I do with the 2nd screen as a developer that doesn't keep me from having common code with the PC/PS4/XBONE) and cumbersome to play (the primary controller for most of these games is the size of an iPad).

I think the 3DS sales and general success has more to do with lack of competition in that market, so practically every portable game comes out for the 3DS.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Yeah, doing cross-buy could be benefical for them if they do decide to do it, but I wouldn't count on it not selling well. This is a very far-fetched example, but if the newest Mortal Kombat was a Sony exclusive available for the Vita and PS3 (or 4) and the handheld release was before that of the console one, would you really buy it for the Vita instead of your console? Would you really preffer to play on a small screen? Let's also suppose the Vita controls and those of the DualShock where a bit more different, and then you have yet another issue regarding what you're more comfortable with playing.
    Thats the point... I wouldn't buy it on Vita UNLESS i'm guaranteed to get the PS3/PS4 version for FREE with cross-buy. Nintendo isn't doing this. The problem here is that 3DS is dominating in sales, and I think gamers are more likely to buy the 3DS version rather than the Wii U version.

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    This is compounded by the poor hardware design. The WiiU gamepad makes the system both difficult to develop for (what do I do with the 2nd screen as a developer that doesn't keep me from having common code with the PC/PS4/XBONE) and cumbersome to play (the primary controller for most of these games is the size of an iPad).
    And that's not even the biggest issue at hand. The Nintendo estore is godawful. When I bought the 3DS, I went straight to the store and the games were outright expensive. $40 for Zelda remake... $6 for old zelda games and ninja gaiden games. Why would I pay $6 when I can practically download a free roam with no hassle. Nintendo has a long way to go not just for the Wii U, but for they're next console.