Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nintendo Announces "New" 3DS and 3DS XL

This is a discussion on Nintendo Announces "New" 3DS and 3DS XL within the Nintendo forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Looks like we've got another 3DS coming. Nintendo has revealed redesigned models of the 3DS and 3DS XL featuring an ...

Fight the Future

Nintendo Announces "New" 3DS and 3DS XL

Looks like we've got another 3DS coming.

Nintendo has revealed redesigned models of the 3DS and 3DS XL featuring an additional directional button and trigger, along with NFC support.Referred to simply as the "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL", the refreshed handheld models purport to feature an improved screen enabling the 3D effects to be viewed from more angles than before.
    Despite the new additions, the handhelds will be the same size as the ones currently available. A new C-button grants the ability to control games with dual analogue controls, while a micro USB card slot and NFC-technology are also part of the package. Interestingly, this means the planned NFC reading device the company's talked about in relation to its new Amiibo range is likely only relevant for older models.
    There's no news when we'll see them on these shores, but a Japanese release is expected first. As an additional quirk, a new range of face plates will be released for the handhelds, much like the ones you can get for mobile phones. Ones shown off include Mario and Animal Crossing.
    Finally, a new 3DS firmware update should crop up soon, bringing with it the ability to change your devices theme. Classic Mario and The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds are the only ones seen so far.
    Source: IGN

I've gotta say, if the C button is above the X then that is a pretty piss poor way to implement dual analog control. I wonder if these will be ready for the release of the Pokemon games coming out this year.

Lvl 4 - Silver

This is why I have rage issues. Did anyone even ask for this stuff? I'm pretty sure all I've seen people asking for is a second joystick and that certainly isn't up to par with people's expectations.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I can only really say that I like...the...action buttons? on the 3DS, looks like a SNES! Other than that, a bit unspectacular, but hey, if it means I can get the older model cheaper then cool!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Nice Nintendo, best way to please gamers is by segregating them. Good job, 10/10.

Satoru Iwata also mentioned that several other titles are in development exclusively for the New Nintendo 3DS. These will not be playable on the old 3DS models.
    Read more at Xenoblade Chronicles Announced For New Nintendo 3DS - Siliconera

Fight the Future

Some more information via IGN...

The New Nintendo 3DS and is the newest hardware revision of Nintendo's 3DS handheld gaming platform. Announced on August 29, 2014 via Nintendo Direct, the New 3DS integrates a number of new features and innovations, most notably a new analog control stick, more computing power, a new button, Amiibo integration, and changeable cover plates.
    The right analog knob is located above the right-hand face buttons. Because of its placement it appears that users will be expected to rely on shoulder buttons for quick input when utilizing the second stick.
    In addition to the new controller, the new 3DS incorporates a third back trigger button, the ZR button, conveniently located for use with the new analog stick.
    The New 3DS is available in both regular and XL-sized models with dimensions similar to current hardware.
    Nintendo also promises a wider 3D viewing angle than previous DS models, resulting in less image blurring when viewed from ths side.
    The computing power of the 3DS has also been expanded by new internal hardware. [1]
    More new features include: an automatic brightness adjustment sensor, Micro SD card slot, camera improvements, and colorful face buttons reminiscent of the Japanese Super Famicom color scheme. The New 3DS will be available in Japan October 11, 2014. No official US date yet.

[top]Amiibo Integration

The New 3DS integrates NFC connectivity into the bottom touchscreen, allowing Nintendo's Amiibo figurines to be placed directly on the display to interact with the software.
    Amiibo toys are already slated for integration with a variety of Nintendo game products, including Super Smash Brothers.

[top]Cover Plates

The New 3DS shell accommodates changeable Cover Plates, which allow owners to easily customize the physical appearance of their new 3DS.
    Among the new cover plate designs are a variety of Mario-themed designs, including iconic mushrooms and a nifty wood grain throwback design.

[top]New 3DS vs New 3DS XL Comparison

Making games exclusive to the New 3DS is absolutely crazy to me, regular 3DS owners should be pissed.

Kiwi Defender

Nice to see they're updating the hardware and adding new features to justify buying the damn thing, but making new games incompatible with older models is, without a doubt, one of the worst business decisions they've ever come up with.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

but i dont wanna get rid of my animal crossing 3ds

edit:

Just saw that cover plates exist, scratch that reason why i dont want it.

now i want to get one. hopefully a white model comes out in the US but reggie says white models sell bad so.

edit 2:

wait SD To Micro SD? i can understand because it's a mobile device but fff.

got a spare micro sd though so its good.

edit 3:

The Hardware isn't the problem for me, It's been 4 years since the 3DS hardware originally came out, thats ancient in Mobile Gaming Times nowadays. im glad they are updating it.

tl;dr hardware changes:
    Auto adjust btightness levels
    More RAM
    Better CPU
    NFC
    C-circle second analog wanna be nub
    Better battery life
    ZR/ZL back buttons

all worth it imo

since the vita shot itself repeatedly in the head due to stupidity nintendo is able to do whatever they want in the market and theres nothing you can do to stop it. this is their victory lap.

edit 4:

Btw the new Stick works on smash bros 3ds. and complaining about this is like complaining about the expansion pack on a N64.
    Last edited by Ps360; 08-29-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    and complaining about this is like complaining about the expansion pack on a N64.
    No, it isn't. This makes your old 3DS Model obsolete since it won't be able to play new games at all. The Expansion Pack, on the other hand, was only required for certain games (of which only Donkey Kong 64 and Majora's Mask come to mind), so you could still buy new shit and play - not to mention it wasn't a new, fully priced console model.

A better example would be having to buy a new PC because your old one blows.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Fight the Future

since the vita shot itself repeatedly in the head due to stupidity nintendo is able to do whatever they want in the market and theres nothing you can do to stop it. this is their victory lap.

Btw the new Stick works on smash bros 3ds. and complaining about this is like complaining about the expansion pack on a N64.
    You know this is why nobody takes you seriously, right? If Sony did this with the Vita I can guarantee you'd be posting an article in the Vita section shitting on Sony and saying how awful they are, but since Nintendo did it somehow it becomes okay.

Yeah, this would be like the expansion pack if Nintendo gave me the option to spend $50 and upgrade my current 3DS XL so it could play the "New" 3DS exclusive games, but instead I'll have to buy an entirely new console which I imagine will be around $200 new. Of course the expansion pack was a shitty idea too.

Also, faceplates.

Those all look pretty terrible.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Those all look pretty terrible.
    You can always wait for the 3rd party and/or bootleg ones, which will most likely look better.

Toggle Spoiler

The only sane person here

Faceplates had me sold, worried about the placement of that C stick to be honest, as well the internet browser seems to be getting a nice update to the point of playing videos.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    A better example would be having to buy a new PC because your old one blows.
    good thing to do every 5 years

hey look the 3DS is going to be 5 years old when this releases, what a coincidence

Kiwi Defender

good thing to do every 5 years

hey look the 3DS is going to be 5 years old when this releases, what a coincidence
    Except a 5 year-old PC can still run new games, whereas his is making every previous model useless.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

Whats the point of improving CPU and RAM yet keeping the resolution the same? Bunch of morons work at Nintendo, I swear.

PRO Member

Disappointing. I guess this is the 'DSi' of this generation, yeah? 3DSi? Or maybe the 3DS-U?

They should have just hunkered down and just made a true 'next gen' portable, especially one with a different name if they're going to split the market based on processing power. This more or less makes the statement that they don't have a successor to the 3DS planned, as why else would they even touch the developer accessible processing power this late into the 3DS's lifespan?

And no, this isn't the N64 expansion pack again, as that was like $30 (free with DK64), where as this is a $200 investment and requires significant changes in the device's production process. If they do plan on releasing a next gen handheld within the next few years, what developer/publisher would want to limit their game to such a small, quickly expiring market, with such minor improvements for this redesign? And who is going to invest, or reinvest $200 in a system, for the same said limited improvements and lifespan?

The only silver lining I can see, is that with built in NFC, that shows their commitment and that they plan on heavily focusing on their Amiibo line, however good or bad you think that is, yet even that is just an assumption. At least Monster Hunter fans won't have to deal with the joke that is/was the circle pad pro - yet maybe they'll prefer that and saving $200 over this tiny little nub 'C' stick.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Negator

Just something for whiney kids to moan about until their parents buy it for them.

If it wasn't for bratty kids and parents spoiling them, Nintendo would have went out of business 10 years ago.

Renegade Time Lord

Well what a stupid idea from Nintendo.

"We need an update for the 3DS, what can we do?"

"How about a new Console where the games will only work on this new console and we alienate the old 3DS forcing everyone who bought it to have to buy this new console so they can play the newest games?"

"Fantastic. Everyone, pat yourself on the back and go home."

Nintendo need a reality check.
    Hello, I'm so pleased to finally see you. I'm The Doctor and I will be your victim this evening, are you my mummy?

Avatar, Signature and Banner by Bladia. Thank You!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shuklar View Post
    Disappointing. I guess this is the 'DSi' of this generation, yeah? 3DSi? Or maybe the 3DS-U?
    more like gameboy color of the generation (Better features, better hardware, still plays everything and has new games just for it, etc.)

except no one complained about a gameboy color. infact it was welcomed with open arms and sold 40 million units by itself.

it's just "cool/hip" to hate on nintendo for irrational reasons right now (gotta blame the retarded game "journalists" for that.) just like it was the big thing to laugh at sony from 2006-2010 (except the reasons were less irrational)

Kiwi Defender

more like gameboy color of the generation (Better features, better hardware, still plays everything and has new games just for it, etc.)

except no one complained about a gameboy color. infact it was welcomed with open arms and sold 40 million units by itself.

it's just "cool/hip" to hate on nintendo for irrational reasons right now (gotta blame the retarded game "journalists" for that.) just like it was the big thing to laugh at sony from 2006-2010 (except the reasons were less irrational)
    No, it's not the same. The GameBoy never had other versions - there was only one for 9 bloody years. The GameBoy Color came out after that long because it was time to release a brand new handheld - not just an upgrade, and they just chose to name it after the GameBoy, which doesn't mean it's a new model for it. This, on the other side? This is bullshit lol.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    No, it's not the same. The GameBoy never had other versions - there was only one for 9 bloody years. The GameBoy Color came out after that long because it was time to release a brand new handheld - not just an upgrade, and they just chose to name it after the GameBoy, which doesn't mean it's a new model for it. This, on the other side? This is bullshit lol.
    the game boy and the gameboy color are considered the same thing. The Sales for both are combined together into one number.

The Advance was the next gen (32-bit processor instead of 8-bit) with it's own line of variations (SP, Micro).

the gameboy also had the Pocket and the Light sold before Color came out (the light coming out the same year as the color).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast