Oddworld Munch's Oddysee HD Review

This is a discussion on Oddworld Munch's Oddysee HD Review within the Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD forum, part of the O; Hi guys this my first ever review and I decided to do Much's Oddysee. It's short and sweet and hope ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Oddworld Munch's Oddysee HD Review

Hi guys this my first ever review and I decided to do Much's Oddysee. It's short and sweet and hope you like it. Please comment...

Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee HD Review by Crewe-Fox

Basic Information:
    Developer- Oddworld inhabitants, Just Add Water

Publisher- MS Studios
    EU Release- December 19th 2012
    NA Release- December 24th 2012
    VITA Release- February 2013
    Trophies-
    1, 3 ,11, 30, total 45

Oh nostalgia, such a glorious thing, I love that there are so many games from previous console generations available on the playstation store at a reasonable price. Sometime you may want to buy an old game to revisit pleasant memories or get the chance to play a game you missed first time round. So when I spotted Munch’s Oddysee HD on the PS Store I jumped at the chance to play the xbox title I missed over a decade ago. My memories of the oddworld games on the first playstation were pleasant, both games were 2D puzzle platformers which I loved as a kid so my expectations of Munch’s Oddysee were pretty high. Sad to say this game failed to meet my expectations. This game puts you control of old favorite Abe the Muddokon and new character Munch the Gabott, a hopping fish with a southern drawl who together embark on a quest to save the Muddokon slaves and secure the last batch of Gabbot eggs in Oddworld.

Our Hero...Giant spaghetti monster help us

The HD upgrade of Munch’s Oddysee was the work of the ‘Just Add Water’ team, let start with what they got right, the 720p HD is evident during gameplay. The character models looks great and the level’s surrounding have been given a good polish. However that can not been said for the Cutscenes, these are grainy, lagging and very disappointing, I mean I remember being more impressed with the Oddworld cutscenes on the PS1. Despite the poor visual quality of the cutscenes the scripting is hilarious full of slapstick and dark humor throughout the game, also the character designs are great with some of the most eccentric and comedic looking creatures ever to grace video games. But one thing ‘Just Add Water’ should of focused on was bugs. Let me give you a little run down of bugs worthy of Skyrim, a steel wall would turn into water, Abe would just die as soon as a level starts, characters would just vanish without warning, on one level Munch would just run in circles without me touching the controller and five times the game just froze causing me to restart t. You could understand these type of bugs in an huge open world game like GTA or The Elder Scrolls but not in a small level based game like this. The sound not’s great either, gone are the quirky soundtracks from the previous games and replaced with a drowning repetitive noise that will grate on your nerves long before the game ends. Also the voice recordings, hilarious as they are, sometimes can not be made out and to add insult to injury there’s no subtitle option which would’ve been nice especially with Munch’s voice. These issues can only pinned on a lazy and rushed HD remake.

Run Munch Run!

The gameplay should be familiar to folks who played the PS1 Oddworld games, you use Munch and Abe to go through the 25 levels saving Muddokon and Fuzzle slaves whilst destroying the evil Glukkon and Vyker’s businesses as you go. You do this by using vending machines that grant you temporary powers like super speed and invisibility, using Abe’s magic to possess enemies and control them to wreak joyful havoc. A welcome gameplay feature is an army micro management system with warrior muddokons and ferocious fuzzles to rip apart your enemies, but how you use your ‘Soldiers’ will dictate what ending you’ll get. If too many die you get bad quarma (Yeah stupid name I know) thus a bad ending if the slaves are rescued you good quarma you get a good ending. As with most moral choices in games being bad is easy and being good is hard. If you’re going to play this game go for a good quarma playthrough it’s a lot more rewarding coming up with a solution to get the slaves through a deathtrap puzzle of a level unscathed.

Save as many these guys as you can

So now I come to the verdict…
    Gameplay 9/10- Puzzle and battle micro management make for a rewarding game.
    Graphics 6/10- Characters and levels are given a great HD touch but sadly not the cutscenes.
    Sound 4/10- Poor music choices and bad voice recording takes a toll.
    Techinical 4/10- A staggering amount of bugs will make you rip your hair out.
    Value for money 8/10- At 7.49 the 12 hours playthrough is worth a replay for another ending and the 45 trophies will keep you busy
    OVERALL 6/10- This great puzzle/platformer is let down by a rushed HD upgrade.

Last edited by crewe-fox; 01-22-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

sorry for the bad spelling and grammar I have dyslexia

Harvester of Souls

Thanks for posting a review out there. I can critique you a bit if you would like, and I did enjoy reading it, though I see a lot I want to correct throughout it. .

Keep up the work and improving and you can get some quality work out there.

TIPS
    * Center the images and dialogue under them
    * Add in Sections to the review as the Official ones have, such as: Gameplay, Story, Technical, etc. And categorize your points into these areas together.
    * Touch up the overall formatting through out such as the beginning and ending overview points.

Definitely some work needed to the grammar and typos, but nothing a quick read over can't help fix .

Nice try at it though and improve on this and go from there my friend. Hope I helped and if you want any advice, just ask away.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Thanks nero, I'll take the advise on board for my next review

Harvester of Souls

Sounds good . Major issue I noticed was a lot of run on sentences and missing commas, that sort of thing. Always read over the work a couple times and take your time.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay