how do i make MKV files play on my PS3

This is a discussion on how do i make MKV files play on my PS3 within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; i just got a 2 TB external and im getting a shit load of anime i tried a mkv file ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

how do i make MKV files play on my PS3

i just got a 2 TB external and im getting a shit load of anime i tried a mkv file before and it doesn't play on the ps3so how do i get them to play do i need a file converter and if so whats the best one and where do i get it

Aes Dana

The PlayStation 3 does not support .MKV however you may be able to covert using this link.

How to play MKV content on PlayStation 3 (PS3) (M2TS) - AfterDawn: Guides

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I had the same problem, so I found the Converter Lite program. Free download, and you can covert mkv files to avi (even 1080p HD). The file sizes will be big, but if you have a 2 TB, no problems!

ConverterLite - Audio and Video for DVD, iPhone, iPad, Android Smartphone, PS3, PSP and more!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Don't convert, it's a pain in the balls.

Set up the ps3mediaserver - Java Upnp Media Server, dedicated to PS3 - Google Project Hosting launch it - and you're ready to go.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

good shit thanks i love this site

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by bop1878 View Post
    i just got a 2 TB external and im getting a shit load of anime i tried a mkv file before and it doesn't play on the ps3so how do i get them to play do i need a file converter and if so whats the best one and where do i get it
    The following is a step by step guide on how to convert MKV to PlayStation 3 supported video format with the help of the powerful MKV to PS3 Converter at How to Convert, Stream and Play 720p, 1080p MKV on PS3 (PlayStation 3)

This guide applies to:

Convert 720p MKV to PS3 supported format so as to stream 720p MKV to PlayStation 3 for playback successfully
    Convert 1080p MKV to PS3 compatible format to stream and play 1080p MKV on PS3 with ease
    Convert other HD MKV files to PS3 format to stream and play MKV on PS3 successfully
    Convert MKV to PS3 supported format as well as add subtitle to the converted MKV video
    Convert other video formats like FLV, BIK, MOV, AVI, MP4, MPG, F4V, ASF, WMV, MXF, WTV, AVCHD, VOB, DV, MOD, TOD and more to PS3 supported format for easy playback

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    Don't convert, it's a pain in the balls.

Set up the ps3mediaserver - Java Upnp Media Server, dedicated to PS3 - Google Project Hosting launch it - and you're ready to go.
    This right here...

I personally run all media through a Synology NAS and use it's media server to stream content across the home network. A NAS box or UPNP media server will typically support re-encoding on-the-fly, so all you need to do on your console is play the file.

Occasionally you'll hit a file that has Cinavia media encryption and the audio will cut out after 10-15 minutes during playback on the PS3. In cases like these where you need to convert your files, try Handbrake with VLC media codecs installed to bypass the protection. Both Handbrake and VLC are free.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Thanks to the OP and everyone who contributed to this thread...I too have wondered the same thing and now I'm good to go

Ribbon by Beam

INTJ

the server thing doesn't show subtitles so it's basically useless to anime people using MKV's

Negator

Just hook your PC to your TV with an HDMI cable and play your media in VLC.

Noob Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Just hook your PC to your TV with an HDMI cable and play your media in VLC.
    ^ I usually do this. (hassle if your PC set up is far from your HDTV)

Crocodile Hunter

Its a pain to convert to MKV but unfortunatly its becoming more popular so hopefully everything else will catch up in time, Im not going to bother saying how to do it as other people already have

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 1 - Bronze

MKV is famous as an open standard free container format which can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file. It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows. Although MKV is one of the most popular formats, it is still impossible to play MKV on PS3.

To successfully play MKV on PS3, a widely used solution without limit is to convert MKV to PS3 compatible formats, no matter you are Windows user or Mac user.

KCCO!

I'm not sure why people are saying converting is a pain; maybe I'm missing something.

I use a piece of freeware that converts MKV to MP4 and it's two clicks of the mouse, a few minutes' wait, and it's ready to go.