Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black Mesa Source - Half life Source aint a good enough Source remake for you? ok

This is a discussion on Black Mesa Source - Half life Source aint a good enough Source remake for you? ok within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; 13 hours left to go! Years of wait have finally come to an end... except for the Xen Levels, but ...

Ghost Assassin

13 hours left to go! Years of wait have finally come to an end... except for the Xen Levels, but it's still awesome.

INTJ

if this mod was a game it would be goty 2012

dis game looks beautiful

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=96235859

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    You are kiddin yourself. But then again, you are a fan of the nostalgic rehash.

It's a new skin on a tired, 14 year old game with some seriously bad amateur-hour voice acting to spice up the video. Gordon squealing "What the fuck?" like a pussy?* I think not.

On that basis, let's hand out awards to all of Sony's HD collections while we're at it. We just need the same treatment to effeminise Kratos.

* And yes, I'm familiar with Freeman's Mind. Take it out and you're left with 1999 GoTY material, not 2012.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    It's a new skin on a tired, 14 year old game with some seriously bad amateur-hour voice acting to spice up the video. Gordon squealing "What the fuck?" like a pussy?* I think not.
    so i see you haven't played it.

there's a shitton of changes in here compared to the original half life. Entire level layouts are changed even. New Puzzles, New events, Enemies do new things, etc.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Plus that wasn't actually Gordon,it was whoever was playing.

illegal in 9 countries

so i see you haven't played it.

there's a shitton of changes in here compared to the original half life. Entire level layouts are changed even. New Puzzles, New events, Enemies do new things, etc.
    Your video says otherwise. It's HL on Source with Freeman's Mind commentary. Oooh...scary headcrabs. I haven't seen them before. Do they sing and dance in the new and improved version? w00t...

Looking at the FAQ, most of the changes are cuts to the original content to make it smaller. The maps are larger only because they've combined several smaller levels into larger ones to cut load times. Weapon and enemy models were imported and reskinned from HL2. It takes less time to play than the original Half-Life. It's a community mod, not a AAA recreation of a classic PC shooter and definitely not GoTY.

Great fan mod, yes, no doubt and no argument here, it's impressive stuff as a labour of love. GoTY 1999...again, a resounding yes, it was ground-breaking and genre-defining for it's time. GoTY 2012...pffft...it's an unfinished, slightly tweaked, high-res HL mod that at best, looks like a 5 year old remake of a 14 year old game. Valve did it already in Half Life Source.

We've all played HL - new puzzles or not, Black Mesa is the same shit in a different bucket. Homage to a classic, gold-plated shit granted, but it's still white and crusty with age. A new coat of paint doesn't change the circa 1998 core experience. Been there. Done that. Moved on long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarguydave666 View Post
    Plus that wasn't actually Gordon,it was whoever was playing.
    Err, no. It was http://www.youtube.com/show/freemansmind. Based on the video, the internal monologue is the highlight of Black Mesa. I know it's not part of the actual game, hence the disclaimer in the previous post.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 09-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Looking at the FAQ, most of the changes are cuts to the original content to make it smaller. The maps are larger only because they've combined several smaller levels into larger ones to cut load times. Weapon and enemy models were imported and reskinned from HL2. It takes less time to play than the original Half-Life. It's a community mod, not a AAA recreation of a classic PC shooter and definitely not GoTY.

The only thing they honestly cut was the Xen Levels, which is still WIP and top secret. They have not released a single picture of it yet (the only teaser of it is where the resonance cascade took place). Once it's done though it will be added onto the game. Thanks to Greenlight that process will be super easy.

Rumors are saying they removed the jumping puzzles, but dunno. the rumor also makes no sense since they gave you the long jump addon.

Everything else is still in there and improved.

and the guy in that video isn't The guy who does the freeman's mind episodes, it's just a random dude.

(also about the HD collections comment, thats just a widescreen fix with some isos thrown on the disc. this is entirely remade from scratch, like 99% is user-created with maybe the exceptions of few sounds/textures. It feels like a new game with all the additions they threw in.)

more videos

Last edited by Ps360; 09-16-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Oh hell yea. Im so looking forward to this.

This piece of awesomeness above and all of my avys. were created by the almighty Wadefan1, the king of signatures.

INTJ

it's already out, so go download it now.

INTJ

Kotaku noticed that there's a awesome meta conversation in the game.

Three Black Mesa Scientists Have An Awesome Meta-Conversation About Black Mesa: Source

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Loving it so far, not perfect, but pretty damn good. It will fill a Half-Life shaped hole in this decade for now!

Just to throw in my two cents, call this a rehash, HD remake or whatever else if you like, i see a well made remake that doesn't charge you 30 to play a slightly smoother version of a decade old game just because of some trophies, nothing wrong with that of course, just saying there is little to complain about.

Oh and mod or not, the real GOTY is out this week too, Borderlands 2 or something........
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Labels

dis game looks beautiful
    No. Just no.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig

"I went from the slums of hell to paradise in heaven, from a sling shot to a wall of Mac 11's"

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Just to throw in my two cents, call this a rehash, HD remake or whatever else if you like, i see a well made remake that doesn't charge you 30 to play a slightly smoother version of a decade old game just because of some trophies, nothing wrong with that of course, just saying there is little to complain about.

Oh and mod or not, the real GOTY is out this week too, Borderlands 2 or something........
    the game has built in acheivements too

for free.

also the GOTY already came out in march, it's called kid icarus uprising.
    Last edited by Ps360; 09-17-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Labels

for free.

Again. No. Just no.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig

"I went from the slums of hell to paradise in heaven, from a sling shot to a wall of Mac 11's"

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

for free.

Well in all seriousness, lets be honest, Journey is Game Of The Year.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Downloading this now, cant wait to try it.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Well in all seriousness, lets be honest, Journey is Game Of The Year.
    felt like i had a better time in kid icarus honestly.

there was tons of more content combined with awesome writing, the gameplay is addictive, and the music is glorious.

dont get me wrong journey is awesome, but kid icarus beats it by a few inches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12