The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition - Problem with the character creation

This is a discussion on The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition - Problem with the character creation within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; So... I've never played Oblivion. I did play Skyrim, and I liked it, and since school has started again, I ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

The Elder Scrolls IV : Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition - Problem with the character creation

So... I've never played Oblivion. I did play Skyrim, and I liked it, and since school has started again, I decided to get Oblivion for my laptop so that I'd have something to do in between classes. So I bought it and I installed it. And right off the bat, shit goes south. It shows me the opening movie, like nothing's wrong. But when I get to the character creation, I can see the menu, but everything else is just black. So I can't see what my character looks like, or what I'm doing. This is already annoying. But I thought, fuck it, I'll just use a standard character. But then I can see the hub, and hear the audio, but still there's no visual. Everything's black. Anybody got an idea as to what I can do about this?

Signature by Fox | Take a look at my Trophy Checklist | Latest plat: The Walking Dead

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deem View Post
    So... I've never played Oblivion. I did play Skyrim, and I liked it, and since school has started again, I decided to get Oblivion for my laptop so that I'd have something to do in between classes. So I bought it and I installed it. And right off the bat, shit goes south. It shows me the opening movie, like nothing's wrong. But when I get to the character creation, I can see the menu, but everything else is just black. So I can't see what my character looks like, or what I'm doing. This is already annoying. But I thought, fuck it, I'll just use a standard character. But then I can see the hub, and hear the audio, but still there's no visual. Everything's black. Anybody got an idea as to what I can do about this?
    Say hi to Ronald McDonald for me!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Say hi to Ronald McDonald for me!
    Gee, thanks for the input.

Signature by Fox | Take a look at my Trophy Checklist | Latest plat: The Walking Dead

Kiwi Defender

Couldn't find anything remotely related on the TES Wiki, but a quick Google search did yield results.

black screen help! - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Message Board for PC - GameFAQs
    Black Screen at Character Creation : IV - Oblivion

Seems it's an issue related to your graphic card's drivers.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Ghost Assassin

What kind of graphics card do you have in your laptop? Usually they aren't powerful enough or the problem could be, as Nagflar suggested, graphics drivers.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I seriously have no idea what kind of graphics card is in there...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Seems like no one else is helping...anyways, try left clicking on your desktop and going to graphics properties. It should tell you what you have.