Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Notch refuses to certify Minecraft for Windows 8

This is a discussion on Notch refuses to certify Minecraft for Windows 8 within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Originally Posted by Ps360 dear notch: your a fucking idiot. Windows Certification is a good idea. This, that is all. ...

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    dear notch:

your a fucking idiot.

Windows Certification is a good idea.
    This, that is all.

Although, your comment on saying that Jeb made the game better... I don't know. The MP is still broken, even worse in fact, and they even broke the SP trying to fix the MP. >_>

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I have been to both Russia and Ukraine. You cannot buy a legal copy of a game or movie anywhere in those countries. And that is not me exaggerating, In the two weeks I spent there I could not find a store that sold me a legal version of a game. Everything was burnt but sold in stores as new (it was even shrink wrapped).
    steam is digital.

your looking at physical

great logic.

There is virtually no console Movement in russia, everything is Steam Digital Distribution PC based over there or the biggest piracy hellhole on earth.

everyone prefers to get the legal copies on steam over there.

PRO Member

My thoughts are relatively simple:

- Openness and privacy are good things, and I'll tackle them under two different umbrellas

Openness:

Openness comes in two flavors... Open software and open pathing. Open software is something thats difficult, and in reality you need a mix of open and closed as the open source community tends to be the progenitor of most ideas, but you need the closed source community to focus and stabilize those ideas.

Anyone who has worked extensively with Linux will tell you that its difficult to truly rely on Linux en masse because the kernel moves so f'in fast and its rare for two people to have the same kernel at the same point.... However, the open source community has more people work on more problems at the same time and, as a result, tends to be able to solve problems more effectively.

Open pathing (or data sourcing) is a different story, and I feel like that is necessary when we talk about major computing devices (sorry, SPs and Tablets aren't) because it makes no sense to have all your data come through a singular source at any given time. You're basically saying Microsoft or Windows has to approve everything that gets on your machine...

How can you possibly do anything independent of them.

Privacy:

The general thought process that privacy should go away and everything should go transparent baffles me... First off, I find the viewpoint hypocritical. The biggest proponents of this hide behind anonymity all the time by using internet handles, etc.

My belief in this is mostly based on principle, as privacy is one of the critical elements of defining an individual. Privacy of your thoughts, actions of/on self, etc. Just logically you can't possibly be held accountable for your actions or be capable of working toward your own means or defining your own desires without privacy.

- Software Piracy is high, but its still making money.

Valve, I know... I know... But its true. Valve is evidence that in the right vein with the right methodology you can make a killing on the PC market. The problem is, and many developers are slow coming to this party, the expectation of the customer is to have smaller, more lightweight games where the user is more in control of their experiences and can buy as much experience as they want.

Gone are the days of one-size-fits-all pricing, users want to be able to buy a 60 dollar game in 6 10 dollar level packs.

If anything though, Valve is evidence what Notch is fighting works... Valve represents (in a local sense) a closed path system. The only point I agree with Notch on is the differentiation between a local closed path and a global closed path.

And thats where I'm going to diverge here, I'm not sure what Notch is upset about because Windows 8 (which btw runs way better than Windows 7... not sure why we are talking about that) still allows data to come in through "untrusted means." Its just that they want applications certified, same as valve or apple would.

Notch can still release the game without the certification though.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    steam is digital.

your looking at physical

great logic.

There is virtually no console Movement in russia, everything is Steam Digital Distribution PC based over there or the biggest piracy hellhole on earth.

everyone prefers to get the legal copies on steam over there.
    Ummm....internet piracy is digital. Russia is one of the top online software piracy offenders.

You're telling me that a nation that does not sell legal physical copies of software and has one of the highest digital software piracy rates just happens to go 100% legal when it comes to Steam?

You know why games are cheaper on Steam in Russia? Any guesses? C'mon now...use your logic. They're a pack of fucking thieves and you're better off earning a penny to the pound legitimately on Steam in Russia than losing the whole lot.

Here's a pretty picture to help you understand the problem - Online Piracy in Numbers - Facts and Statistics [Infographic]

Note the P2P figures - 1.2% of P2P is for legal digital media usage. Tell me again how Russians with 80% piracy rates and Steam users with 40% Bittorrent install rates are Saints...

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    If anything though, Valve is evidence what Notch is fighting works... Valve represents (in a local sense) a closed path system. The only point I agree with Notch on is the differentiation between a local closed path and a global closed path.
    I would happily trade my open Windows computer for a closed Steam Box to play my PC games. I don't need the ability to install illegal media, nor any form of custom homebrew or legal software app. I just want the games I buy to work and closed systems offer a cleaner, cheaper, more profitable path for developers and users alike.

Ironically, I wouldn't be happy to subscribe to closed-system, cloud-based gaming services, at least not yet. It's not the privacy aspect of it - these companies already have my name, address, credit cards, consumer behaviour records etc, it's the ownership of digital content that bothers me.

Digital copies running locally, I'm happy with. I prefer it to physical goods because it consumes very little space. Digital copies running remotely that can be unplugged at the whim of the supplier, eg you "own" the right to play Game X for the next two years, isn't appealing in the slightest.

The same applies to free-to-play games. You spend your money and all you gain from the experience is a memory which is opposed to what I want - a physical reminder and the ability to relive that experience on demand.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12