Results 1 to 16 of 16

Need Help Please

This is a discussion on Need Help Please within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Ok guys, so just before I transferred 125GB worth of movies and tv shows onto my computer from my external ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Need Help Please

    Ok guys, so just before I transferred 125GB worth of movies and tv shows onto my computer from my external hard drive, because i wanted to re-format it to FAT32 (was NTFS before) so it could be used with my PS3. So the format went smoothly and then i wanted to transfer the movies and tv shows back to my external (because my desktop barely has any space left) and everytime i try to copy or transfer the files to the hard drive it just keeps not responding (windows explorer that is). Now matter how large or small the file may be. And sometimes it starts to transfer but it gets stuck on a certain time. For example it might say 25 min and 10 sec left but i come back after 3 hrs and its the same. Sometimes it doesnt even get to that. And as soon as i take the usb cable of the external out of the usb port it straight away resumes to normal windows it unfreezes. And then it keeps asking me to locate the file.

    Im very annoyed and just wondering if anyone expereinced anything similar and if someone could help me find a solution.

    BTW, my computer is Windows Vista, and hard drive is WD External 500GB.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  2. #2
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    STRANGEgenius's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    STRAYA ****
    Posts
    777
    Reputation
    17

    Have you tried the simple... restarting your PC?

    If that is not... make sure you have no viruses [which i am pretty sure you have]

    If both of those options don't work out for you... You can try copying 1 movie/show at a time? It may take a while but it could work.

    I had these problems with my Vista, then i cracked my PC to a Windows 7.


    Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

  3. #3
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    Have you tried the simple... restarting your PC?

    If that is not... make sure you have no viruses [which i am pretty sure you have]

    If both of those options don't work out for you... You can try copying 1 movie/show at a time? It may take a while but it could work.

    I had these problems with my Vista, then i cracked my PC to a Windows 7.
    Ok look obviously i restarted my PC, and i defeintely have no virus because i just got it checked out plus bought $200 top security and also tried 1 at a time. I know its something wrong with my computer i mean its quite old now. Like my dad got a new laptop (windows 7) and transferring files to my external was fine on that. So that means there is no problem with the external im pretty sure its the computer being run down now.

    But was just curious if anyone knew a fix or something.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  4. #4
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    STRANGEgenius's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    STRAYA ****
    Posts
    777
    Reputation
    17

    Quote Originally Posted by curryboy14 View Post
    Ok look obviously i restarted my PC, and i defeintely have no virus because i just got it checked out plus bought $200 top security and also tried 1 at a time. I know its something wrong with my computer i mean its quite old now. Like my dad got a new laptop (windows 7) and transferring files to my external was fine on that. So that means there is no problem with the external im pretty sure its the computer being run down now.

    But was just curious if anyone knew a fix or something.
    Yeah it is your computer, reinstalling windows should fix it, if not then that means one of the files has corrupted while transferring earlier. Which one it is and how to find out which file corrupted... I don't know. I did a google search for you and found out that.


    Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

  5. #5
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    How do i reinstall windows, i mean i dont have any discs or anything the desktop came with it installed, mind you that was a while ago. I think im almost saved up enough for a new decent computer so im just gonna customize one.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  6. #6
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    STRANGEgenius's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    STRAYA ****
    Posts
    777
    Reputation
    17

    Quote Originally Posted by curryboy14 View Post
    How do i reinstall windows, i mean i dont have any discs or anything the desktop came with it installed, mind you that was a while ago. I think im almost saved up enough for a new decent computer so im just gonna customize one.
    When you buy a PC it usually comes with a disc, as a back up or something.

    But yeah buying a new one instead of keeping a Vista, is a much much better idea.


    Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

  7. #7
    Crocodile Hunter
    Ac3stralian's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Straya ****!
    Posts
    2,042
    Reputation
    176

    Id wait for Ant1 to post, he is pre much the pc techxpert around here

    Sig by Apokolypz



  8. #8
    illegal in 9 countries
    ant1th3s1s's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,282
    Reputation
    494

    Try Teracopy - TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector, the free version is good enough. It's fast, performs hash checks for errors and should allow you to isolate any problem files.

    If the files copied from the external to the local HDD, they should be ok. There is a chance some have become corrupted, Teracopy should help with that.

    Keep in mind Fat32 has a 4Gb file limit, so any single file larger than that will NOT copy.

  9. #9
    ADMlNlSTRATOR
    Helyx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    MOSH'SH PIT
    Posts
    3,002
    Reputation
    571

    Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Id wait for Ant1 to post, he is pre much the pc techxpert around here
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Try Teracopy - TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector, the free version is good enough. It's fast, performs hash checks for errors and should allow you to isolate any problem files.

    If the files copied from the external to the local HDD, they should be ok. There is a chance some have become corrupted, Teracopy should help with that.

    Keep in mind Fat32 has a 4Gb file limit, so any single file larger than that will NOT copy.
    Yup, so all those pirated Bluray films aren't gonna transfer.

  10. #10
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Try Teracopy - TeraCopy for Microsoft Windows - Code Sector, the free version is good enough. It's fast, performs hash checks for errors and should allow you to isolate any problem files.

    If the files copied from the external to the local HDD, they should be ok. There is a chance some have become corrupted, Teracopy should help with that.

    Keep in mind Fat32 has a 4Gb file limit, so any single file larger than that will NOT copy.
    Ok firstly the Teracopy i didnt download because my anti virus program blocked it automatically. Because it said there has been malicious software transferred from this website previously. It wouldnt let me download it either. To be honest if it comes up with that i dont want to download it. Secondly i just checked every single file in my stuff, and the maximum size i found was 2.98GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Yup, so all those pirated Bluray films aren't gonna transfer.
    Most of my bluray films are around the 2GB mark.


    So is there anything else i can do, i mean its stuck on my computer and now theres barely any space left. I dont want to delete the stuff either.
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  11. #11
    illegal in 9 countries
    ant1th3s1s's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,282
    Reputation
    494

    Use some initiative champ - TeraCopy - CNET Download.com

    It's a false positive. Get better A/V. ESET Nod32 for PC is the way to go.

  12. #12
    El Campeador
    xEl_Cidx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Valencia (EEUU)
    Posts
    2,588
    Reputation
    534

    Vista sucks, I have vista on one of my computers (laptop) and there is no support from Autodesk for it since I cannot install AutoCad 2013. Microsoft will not support Vista soon only XP or windows 7 + 8.

    Hope you can find a solution to your issue.


    Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol| xEl_Cidx's La Conquista | xEl_Cidx's recent Gaming Activities+ Boosting
    xEl_Cidx's Battle of the Sexes - Round 43 just started

  13. #13
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Man i ended getting 5 movies onto a usb which i transferred to my external off the laptop but i tried to do it again wont work, im so fken pissed!
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  14. #14
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Just downloaded teracopy and tried using it after 10 secs it stops and says there is an error. What do i do?
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

  15. #15
    illegal in 9 countries
    ant1th3s1s's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,282
    Reputation
    494

    Quote Originally Posted by curryboy14 View Post
    Just downloaded teracopy and tried using it after 10 secs it stops and says there is an error. What do i do?
    Skip the file and keep going. Add all of the files to a queue, Teracopy will transfer the "good" ones and provide a list of "bad" ones at the end of the operation.

    If you have nothing on the FAT32 drive yet, reformat it with partition manager...the free version. It might have a dud partition table.

    If you're really unlucky, your internal or external HDD is on the way out, hence all of the read / write errors.

  16. #16
    Lvl 10 - Platinum


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,730
    Reputation
    13

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Skip the file and keep going. Add all of the files to a queue, Teracopy will transfer the "good" ones and provide a list of "bad" ones at the end of the operation.

    If you have nothing on the FAT32 drive yet, reformat it with partition manager...the free version. It might have a dud partition table.

    If you're really unlucky, your internal or external HDD is on the way out, hence all of the read / write errors.
    I tried to skip but i couldnt it just stop responding. So im really lost as to what to do. I mean i tried doing it with 1 file, more than 1 and it freezes everytime and just stops to work (teracopy that is). So im really stuck on how to do it. I found a way to transfer the files on my computer to my laptop without a usb (its called ccfile) i saw it on youtube. But the thing is you have to download them all again (125GB) and i dont have that much usage avaiable per month (only got 120GB)
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO