Dota 2 In-game item sold for $38,000 actual dollars

This is a discussion on Dota 2 In-game item sold for $38,000 actual dollars within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Dota 2 courier fetches $38,000, partly because it's pink | PCGamesN Couriers ordinarily fetch regen items, not five-figure prices. But ...

INTJ

Dota 2 In-game item sold for $38,000 actual dollars

Dota 2 courier fetches $38,000, partly because it's pink | PCGamesN

Couriers ordinarily fetch regen items, not five-figure prices. But this is no ordinary Dota 2 courier: it’s a hyper-rare pink war dog, with attendant ethereal flame effect.

The ‘pink’ bit is very important.

The dog is a legacy courier - so-called because it was discovered in a Dota 2 treasure chest by a player during the first few weeks after Valve launched unusual couriers.

Unusual couriers come in a variety of different colours, with a variety of different particle effects. Originally, their colours were determined randomly across an RGB spectrum - until the Dota dev team learned that a bug meant black couriers failed to show their fancy effects. Instead, they created 10 set colours for future couriers, and offered players a chance to paint their existing creatures a new shade.

You might have clocked where this is going. Pink was not among the 10 new shades, and so original, unpainted couriers in hot pink became incredibly rare and consequently collector’s items.

This particularly randomised item-hound is an ultra-unlikely jackpot from the treasure chest one-armed bandit - the war dog is the most wanted courier type, ethereal flame the most wanted effect, and pink one of the most unusual shades an unusual beast could be.

One Dota 2 Redditor, ColtonisWright, suggests there are just four other pink ethereal flame war dogs in the known world. Only one other colour is more highly prized than pink - white. To date, no player has come forward with a ‘pure’ white ethereal flame courier - but gosh, when they do...

As another Redditor wryly pointed out - this is the groundbreaking moment when somebody’s chosen to buy a courier over a car. Can you imagine ever doing the same?
    sale link:
    [Auction] EF Pink War Dog ( 191, 78, 123 ) with b/o : Dota2Trade

this is why im saving my rare shit i got from dota 2, i could sell a courier i have for $800 if i want.

not to mention it's a way better game than LoL AND you can make money off it!

Fight the Future

I wish I had that much money to blow on video games, what a lucky bastard.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    I wish I had that much money to blow on video games, what a lucky bastard.
    live in seattle, buy international ticket for 49.99, Walk out with over $1000 in shit you can sell online.

be master of dota 2 market

Lvl 8 - Gold

Basement dwellers simply does not know what to do with money... 38k $ = Shitloads of other things irl

The only sane person here

Shame that money you'll be earning will be in your steam wallet...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    you only get $500 max in steam account

this was a grey market sale.

Bringing the PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    True shame is the fact you will never have a girlfriend since you bought a pink war dog for $38k.

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2