Downgrading for "Parity" - Farcry 4 PC ultra settings the same as XB1, PS4

This is a discussion on Downgrading for "Parity" - Farcry 4 PC ultra settings the same as XB1, PS4 within the PC forum, part of the Multiplatform Talk; Ubisoft: Far Cry 4 with ultra-high settings will look the same on PC, PS4 and XB1 | KitGuru Far Cry ...

INTJ

Downgrading for "Parity" - Farcry 4 PC ultra settings the same as XB1, PS4

Ubisoft: Far Cry 4 with ultra-high settings will look the same on PC, PS4 and XB1 | KitGuru

Far Cry 4 is expected to be one of the best-looking video games ever made, judging by the trailers that Ubisoft published earlier this month. What is somewhat surprising is that according to a representative of the game developer, the game will look equally good on all modern platforms, including the PC, the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One.

Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of Ubisoft Montreal, said in an interview with Major Nelson, that the ultra-high graphics setting of the Far Cry 4 on the PC will look exactly the same as the game will look on the new-generation consoles.

“Because we develop [Far Cry] on the PC, you’ve never really seen on console the ultra-high PC version before,” said Mr. Hutchinson, reports Softpedia. “So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up. So as a console player you’re already getting by far the best version we can ship.”

Ubisoft Said the same thing about watch dogs.

Watch dogs looked bad on PC. There was hidden graphical features in the code for the PC that improved performance and Graphic capability at the same time. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened for Farcry 4.

The Popular theory is due to not making new PS4/XB1 console buyers feel bad that they bought a product that doesn't produce super high quality graphics like PC can so they keep the PC version back for "parity". Ubisoft has Playstation-exclusive deals with Sony, so maybe this is part of the deal to get the money.

as totalbiscuit says

If your console version of a game is equivalent to "ultra high" on PC, that's because your PC version isn't good enough.

Don't think The Division is safe either.

R.I.P Ellie

I like watching totalbiscuit videos, until he turns into a PC "MasterRace" Fagboy

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Not to go too wildly off topic...

If you spend more than two minutes on the GTA V forums on Steam... every internet douchebag seems to congregate there to complain, horribly misuse the terms like "port" and "optimization" and spam links to TotalBiscuit videos to "prove their points". I've never watched one of his videos before, I don't intend to, and I hope anyone that willingly does finds themselves on the wrong end of a speeding bus.

As for the topic, sucks for us.

I make lego out of you!

Watch dogs optimization is a joke, I couldn't even put it's settings to high :/ I guess medium is OK but I wanted to go further considering I have more than enough power in my rig to run next gen titles :[
    Making plat cards

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I was raised dually on console and PC gaming, as a result, I shudder at any of these Console fanboy/PC Master Race shit nuggets. I don't wave my willy about how good my sandwiches are because I buy expensive bread and fillings, cos there is equal joy to be had in cheaper bread and some budget peanut butter. Sometimes, I'll crave that peanut butter sandwich a lot more than pastrami on sliced crusty loaf, and vice versa. (I was eating a sandwich when I wrote this, so forgive the food analogy.) The underlying issue here however, is that Ubi are playing on easy mode.

Ubisoft are not PC fans, they aren't a company who frequented in PC gaming all that much in the past (compared to most), so it stands to reason that they would side with consoles. I'm not saying that it's a good choice, because clearly, it's not. It is lazy on their part as they will never realise the true potential in their games if they don't push them far enough to begin with. The games they produce are more often than not, games that are highly enjoyable, but still feel like they lack something in depth. be it graphically or mechanically.

The hypocrisy comes in how they have shown-off their titles in recent times, using high-spec PC run builds to get people interested, then releasing the games on far more humble settings, as enough consumers out there won't remember what they were promised and buy it based on hype alone, still believing they haven't been conned somewhat. You only have to look as far as the recent EA FIFA 15 trailer to see that Ubi aren't the only perps in this crime, but they are certainly frontrunners in the Game Producer Bullshit League.
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

Editor in Chief - Editorials

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Watch dogs looked bad on PC.
    It really didn't. Did it look like what was promised at E3 2013? No, of course not, but it did not look "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. Don't be such a child.

Ubisoft has always, and forever will be, a console developer. Considering the crazy speed at which they pump out high-quality AAA titles, I can understand them not wanting to spend a whole lot of time optimising the PC port, especially when it won't sell nearly as many copies as on consoles.

I also don't understand everyone's obsession with graphics. People are so fucking fickle: one day it's "I don't care about graphics, it's all about the gameplay;" the next they won't stop crying because the developer hasn't included an option for 256789x MSAA or any one of a dozen other settings that literally no one understands (but by God they'll push that slider to the max!). Make up you your Goddamn minds.

Also, if this were a Nintendo game, you'd be posting about how this doesn't matter because of how the art style is 2stronk (and yes, Far Cry 4 has a fantastic art style).

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It really didn't. Did it look like what was promised at E3 2013? No, of course not, but it did not look "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. Don't be such a child.

you either show me what its gonna look like at release or don't show me at all really.

you build up un-realistic hype by doing that.

see:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...g-A-Lying-Dick

Ubisoft has always, and forever will be, a console developer. Considering the crazy speed at which they pump out high-quality AAA titles, I can understand them not wanting to spend a whole lot of time optimising the PC port, especially when it won't sell nearly as many copies as on consoles.

UBI started off as a PC game company.

UBI also buys really good PC developers (Massive Ent and Nadeo, For example) and builds PC-Exclusive Games (Recent examples include Trackmania, The Mighty Quest for the Epic Loot, Anno 2077, IL-2 Sturmovik, and Might & Magic series)

no excuses.

Your also defending a company who says that it isn't in the budget to make actual playable women characters in a video game despite numerous examples

Also, if this were a Nintendo game, you'd be posting about how this doesn't matter because of how the art style is 2stronk (and yes, Far Cry 4 has a fantastic art style).
    If it had a cartoony artstyle sure (Not in the shit borderlands way either, i mean like Journey or something similar.)

Farcry Blood dragon is a good example, They threw so much neon and metallic shit everywhere that it looks cartoony as hell.

but it doesn't. thus it will age horribly reguardless.

I think far cry 3 looks terrible because there's no AA on the plants and since the plants are fuckin everywhere it looks like a jagged mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    If you spend more than two minutes on the GTA V forums on Steam... every internet douchebag seems to congregate there to complain, horribly misuse the terms like "port" and "optimization" and spam links to TotalBiscuit videos to "prove their points". I've never watched one of his videos before, I don't intend to, and I hope anyone that willingly does finds themselves on the wrong end of a speeding bus.

Totalbiscuit is literally one of the first actual game critics with actual journalistic integrity.

He's a Justified equal-opportunity Asshole. he uses actual logic in his videos.
    Last edited by Ps360; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:32 PM.

Editor in Chief - Editorials

you either show me what its gonna look like at release or don't show me at all really.
    you build up un-realistic hype by doing that.

see:
    How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick | Jimquisition Video Gallery | The Escapist
    Have you even watched this video? He literally makes the exact point that I just did. Just because you have high expectations doesn't mean the games isn't good looking for not meeting your requirements.

TotalBiscuit is a twat. And so are you.

worlds biggest welch fan

480i>1080p<1440P
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

INTJ

Have you even watched this video? He literally makes the exact point that I just did. Just because you have high expectations doesn't mean the games isn't good looking for not meeting your requirements.
    he also said if you advertised it to look better than it doesn't then you are a "lying dick" like the video title implys.

TotalBiscuit is a twat. And so are you.
    Have yet to see anyone be able to refute his claims properly.

him being a "twat" comes with the territory of getting the nickname "Cynical brit"

worlds biggest welch fan

Oh Nooooo........ I can't run on it my dual Titan Z series video cards. I just hope they do more then play video games with cards that expensive. cereal for real cereal
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nevetsteven2 View Post
    Oh Nooooo........ I can't run on it my dual Titan Z series video cards. I just hope they do more then play video games with cards that expensive. cereal for real cereal
    most people who have cards that expensive usually use it for other reasons than just gaming

i like to edit video, learn/make stuff with Unreal engine 4, and do drawing shit.

PRO Member

he also said if you advertised it to look better than it doesn't then you are a "lying dick" like the video title implys.

Have yet to see anyone be able to refute his claims properly.

him being a "twat" comes with the territory of getting the nickname "Cynical brit"
    you can be cynical without being a twat.

can even be british, too

:|

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Totalbiscuit is literally one of the first actual game critics with actual journalistic integrity.

He's a Justified equal-opportunity Asshole. he uses actual logic in his videos.
    Doesn't mean diddily when the people "spreading the word" are unreasonable, biased and only actually know as much as TotalBiscuit tells them.

Your also defending a company who says that it isn't in the budget to make actual playable women characters in a video game despite numerous examples
    That article lost all credibility when it said "Games like Mass Effect have proven that giving a more diverse range of character options leads to more positive reactions from gamers and critics"... discounting that Mass Effect 3 was virtually given worst game of all time for having inconsistent lore and a lousy ending. Almost like the ability to have a female protagonist DIDN'T MATTER AT ALL.

Stay the course Ubisoft, apparently you're better off investing the money elsewhere... the gamers have spoken.

PRO Member

I don't know why people harp on this PC vs. Console gaming bullshit so much, more to the point I don't understand why PC gamers care so much either...

The reality is that PC gaming will always be the breeding ground, its just too easy to pick up a PC, download one of the 30000 game engines and make a game with an open SDK for next to nothing, whereas console gaming requires an agreement with the console maker.

That said, PC gaming (regardless of what any PC gamer says) is and always will be more expensive. Saying that I can build a descent gaming PC that will last more than 5 years on a budget of 450 dollars is like saying your Honda Civic Si can keep up with that guy's Ferrari. Not to mention that, while PC gaming is the easiest to develop on, it also results in the largest amount of configuration compensation.

Speaking as a software engineer who works simultaneously in the PC and embedded world, I can tell you right now that consoles (embedded) presents a myriad of simplicity for development making optimization a breeze. PC gamers don't like talking about it, but the reality is your 600 Nvidia graphics card is nice, but is horrendously underutilized because graphics cards rarely play well with open GPU libraries/APIs. Since no developer is willing to waste the resources optimizing a game that will be popular for 35 minutes for a specific version of a graphics card that will only be popular 6 months, you end up with graphic performance that is good (for the card), but never great.

A console, on the other hand, is able to squeeze every last bit of power out of everything because the people who built the system and drivers can customize and modify them to utilize every inch of processing power out of the device and tie it all nice and neatly to an API in an SDK that complies with any standard they want.

This fact is just unavoidable... And before I get any bullshit totalbiscuit quotes or the "you don't understand because you don't get PCs," keep in mind that when I say software engineer, I am not talking about someone who makes cell-phone games or knows how a Mac works. I have Linux-distros built from yocto and have in the past used OSs completely compiled from source (some of which was written by me). I'm not a guy who could swing with the original developers of Android, but I am a guy who knows what the fuck a semaphore is and how OpenGL calls work.

And honestly, that's kind of the point for me. I find consoles and console gaming more palatable. There is a pleasant simplicity in having a device that just does gaming all the time, and doesn't require me to get overtly involved in every aspect of its configuration and requires me to consider and compensate the 48 different variables that go into building and running a gaming rig. I get enough of that shit at work, when I want to game... I want it to be simple. I have a PS4, thats all I need to know. Not to mention the benefits that come along with that simplicity, such as reduced power consumption and and more streamlined user experience.

So why the fuck does it matter that you like something different? Or why the fuck does it matter that your PC had its "ultra settings" dumbed down to accommodate for others? Its still the same game, move on!
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Speaking as a software engineer who works simultaneously in the PC and embedded world, I can tell you right now that consoles (embedded) presents a myriad of simplicity for development making optimization a breeze. PC gamers don't like talking about it, but the reality is your 600 Nvidia graphics card is nice, but is horrendously underutilized because graphics cards rarely play well with open GPU libraries/APIs. Since no developer is willing to waste the resources optimizing a game that will be popular for 35 minutes for a specific version of a graphics card that will only be popular 6 months, you end up with graphic performance that is good (for the card), but never great.
    You do realize you just said something that almost every person that has ever talked about this topic has said at some point every time they talk about it... right?

Console's have less hardware configurations. Easier to develop for. Check. Got it. I guess your experience as a software engineer somehow gives this incredibly commonly used point some kind of interesting new twist that was worth posting it again. Either that or you just feel some urge to stroke the dick that is your career path on a PS3 forum.

PRO Member

You do realize you just said something that almost every person that has ever talked about this topic has said at some point every time they talk about it... right?

Console's have less hardware configurations. Easier to develop for. Check. Got it. I guess your experience as a software engineer somehow gives this incredibly commonly used point some kind of interesting new twist that was worth posting it again. Either that or you just feel some urge to stroke the dick that is your career path on a PS3 forum.
    wow you're a massive douche.

PRO Member

I suppose I did bring up the point of what I do 3 different times, but it was used more in conjunction with speaking from personal experience/knowledge as opposed to regurgitating a point brought up on reddit by somebody else that I think is right. I wasn't trying to "stroke the dick of my career path."

I also don't usually see these types of points brought up, atleast in light of my end point (i.e. who really gives a fuck what developers do?)... It usually boils down into people personally insulting/attacking each-other or flaming the people with opinions other than their own. Granted I don't spend a lot of time on forums that discuss games either (this is pretty much the only one, save occasional visits to the aforementioned reddit), so if 30 other forums out there are littered with posts like this, my apologies for wasting your valuable time.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.