Sony Rumored to Reveal PS4 Virtual Reality Headset at GDC in March

This is a discussion on Sony Rumored to Reveal PS4 Virtual Reality Headset at GDC in March within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Sony has been developing a PS4 virtual reality headset for some time. An "inside source" has told TechRadar that they ...

KCCO!

Sony Rumored to Reveal PS4 Virtual Reality Headset at GDC in March

Sony has been developing a PS4 virtual reality headset for some time. An "inside source" has told TechRadar that they have had some first-hand experience with the headset, which Sony is set to reveal during the Game Developers Conference, taking place March 17-21, 2014.

[]

[]
    Originally, the headset was to be revealed last year at the Tokyo Game Show, but Sony decided to push back the reveal in order to further develop the technology. The source tells TechRadar "Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it."

Additionally, an anonymous games developer that is familiar with Sony's plans has stated that Evolution Studios is currently working with the device to simulate a cockpit view on its PS4 title Drive Club, which was set to be released as a PS4 launch title, but was delayed as the release date of the console approached. Perhaps this is part of the reason?

Source: TechRadar
    Last edited by Hitman; 02-21-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Chocobo Master

I don't know who is old enough to remember when VR gaming was out before but I pray to Cheezus that if they manage to get it right this time.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

imo i find it useful for certain game genre and racing is not one of them for me

PRO Member

Great. Haven't even mastered that shitty 3D yet, so let's just skip that and butcher VR as well.

illegal in 9 countries

I'm a technophile and will be buying this, as long as the price isn't ridonculous.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hawk-chan View Post
    I don't know who is old enough to remember when VR gaming was out before but I pray to Cheezus that if they manage to get it right this time.
    Are we talking like the Virtual Boy?
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I'm a technophile and will be buying this, as long as the price isn't ridonculous.
    Same here, one of those things that come along now and again that instantly makes me put some money away to get it. Gimmicky or not.

Chocobo Master

Quote Originally Posted by holycrapoly View Post
    Are we talking like the Virtual Boy?
    Yes indeed I am.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 7 - Gold

I wonder what this will bring us, but i wish they made more cameras first...

Lvl 5 - Silver

virtual reality is way to early.. give it another 10 years. i wonder whats the asking price?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If any one is familiar with the Oculus Rift Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality Headset for 3D Gaming | Oculus VR it's pretty awesome and I think sony could probably make something much better.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yes will definatley buy this
    Daniel Kelly

дурак

Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see before pledging my allegiance and my money to a device I haven't even fucking seen yet.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel

PRO Member

I'm not really too fond of this... However I have had a TON of fun having friends over to play PS4 games together, like Lego Marvel, Knack, Injustice & I can't remember that other one. However I think Sony should switch focus a bit and get players to interact with real people (playing split screen games, going over friends houses) and at the same time have the online capabilities surpass whatever Xbox Live has to offer right now that might exceed PSN.

But I definitely think more focus to person to person interactions should be great. IMO

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna wait and see before pledging my allegiance and my money to a device I haven't even fucking seen yet.
    This will be the 4th generation of Sony's VR headset. The prior iterations were expensive and essentially just head-mounted stereoscopic displays.

Quote Originally Posted by jholutiak216 View Post
    If any one is familiar with the Oculus Rift Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality Headset for 3D Gaming | Oculus VR it's pretty awesome and I think sony could probably make something much better.
    To compete with the Oculus Rift, Sony will need to have gyroscopic head-tracking built-in and 1080p display. I suspect neither will be present to keep the price at consumer-level. However, given they've held it back a year for the PS4, 1080p is a possibility.

Regardless, I enjoy experimenting with new technology and new ways to interact with video games, and will likely purchase both the PS4 headset and the Oculus Rift.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 7 - Gold

well if this works well then many will be saying goodbye to reality forever LOL

PRO Trophy Hunter

I thought that gaming virtual headset was discontinued a long time ago and last time they made some gaming glasses for 3D TV with games, you know. Nah, this is almost future century for newest technology game consoles like PS4, maybe I will get this one or not.

My Checklist - Trophy Hunting Missions [CLICK THIS BANNER] Checklist Updated:
    Posted Weekly Report
    8/23/14

Posted Mission Failed
    8/24/14

Posted New Mission
    and Weeky Report
    8/31/14

INTJ

It's a race between Actual good VR and jumping on a bandwagon VR to market shelves.

whoever gets to the market first will define the future of gaming.

Will it be good VR that actually takes time to make being first? (Oculus) or will it be the other tech companies jumping on the bandwagon to be first and fucking it up to the point of it being called a gimmick (everyone else)

hoping oculus wins.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    To compete with the Oculus Rift, Sony will need to have gyroscopic head-tracking built-in and 1080p display. I suspect neither will be present to keep the price at consumer-level. However, given they've held it back a year for the PS4, 1080p is a possibility.
    Oculus Confirmed for costing less than 400$

want to see if someone similar can do that for the same price.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    It's a race between Actual good VR and jumping on a bandwagon VR to market shelves.

whoever gets to the market first will define the future of gaming.

Will it be good VR that actually takes time to make being first? (Oculus) or will it be the other tech companies jumping on the bandwagon to be first and fucking it up to the point of it being called a gimmick (everyone else)

hoping oculus wins.

Oculus Confirmed for costing less than 400$
    Sony won the first to market race years ago (this is the 4th generation) and it's a natural extension of their VR headset to bang it on the PS4, which has been rumoured for years. Not to mention, this isn't their first VR rodeo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasstron

Best technology definitely goes to the Oculus, it's garnered significant support among PC boffins and has been allowed to mature before pushing it to market. It's won the race to potentially shape the industry, that's beyond dispute, but no-one yet knows to what extent. VR could potentially replace multi-monitor setups and 4K screens, or it could remain a small niche market that'll be forgotten within a few years. We won't know until we get to experience how good (or bad) it is for ourselves.

In the end, the first-mover advantage doesn't matter - the two market segments (console gamers and PC enthusiasts) don't tend to cross. High-end PC users will buy Oculus for a genuine VR experience, PS4 users will buy the Sony VR headset for shits and giggles. Most people won't buy either. I'll buy both, cos that's how I roll
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 02-24-2014 at 04:59 PM.