Currently Playing (June 2014 Edition)

This is a discussion on Currently Playing (June 2014 Edition) within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Editor's Foreword: I'd like to start this section off with an apology: we've been a little quiet this month, and ...

Editor in Chief - Editorials

Currently Playing (June 2014 Edition)

Editor's Foreword:
    I'd like to start this section off with an apology: we've been a little quiet this month, and that's mostly my fault. Between my Uni workload and a new writing position I've just accepted elsewhere, I've not had a lot of free time to play games, or to help put out fresh content for you all. The ET guys have been doing great stuff recently, and we hope to share it with you soon!

But in the meantime, please enjoy our latest installment of Currently Playing, featuring our regular contributors - ChrisValentine, Larrydavidsavatar, Nagflar, and myself - as well as a special guest: Coug!
    If y'all are extra nice, she might even come back another month...

ChrisValentine
    What I'm Currently Hacking:
    Watch_Dogs

Watch_Dogs is a rather gorgeous and stylish open world action game, in which you play as Aiden Pearce, a highly skilled and prolific hacker - and in the world of Watch_Dogs, that's a very handy trade to have. As Aiden, you can choose to solely pursue revenge against those who wronged you, or use your skills and abilities for good, and help make the streets of the windy city a little bit safer.

I actually went into Watch_Dogs without seeing a single trailer, so it was nice to find out that there's quite a deep story beneath the hacking and open-world shenanigans. I grew attached to the character early on and 'became' Aiden, playing the character as I felt he himself would act: taking out my enemies, but leaving civilians alone; a heroic vigilante.

Being a hacker is pretty easy, with vast amounts of information and abilities available to you. At the press of a button, I could view each civilian, and enemy, and get a quick review of their lives; most of the enemies have something like "Attempted Murder" which made it quite easy to put a round in between their eyes. I was hacking traffic lights to cause a pile up to halt any cars that were chasing me, hacking a security camera to then hack an electrical pipe causing it to explode killing my "targets". But then there's the innocent civilian who might have "recently lost his mother to cancer," and my conscience gave me a really hard time about hacking his bank accounts. I still did it, but totally felt bad... well, a little bad.

Watch_Dogs is available now both digitally and at retail, on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

What I've got in my sights: Sniper Elite III

Ever since I first held my breath, pulled the trigger and then watched - in slow motion - as my rifle round spun majestically through the air before brutally tearing through a German Soldier's leg, shattering his femur, I've loved the Sniper Elite series; and now, out in just a few weeks, there's Sniper Elite III!

Slow motion makes everything look cool... Well, most things. But in Sniper Elite it's just damn addictive. Sniper Elite III promises even more brutal "bullet time", and will now show your bullet make a mess of your enemy's circulatory system and complete muscle layer - how exciting!

And if that's not enough for you, developers Rebellion have introduced the same damage system to vehicles! So now you can watch your bullet grind through engine bays and cause havoc to pistons and fuel lines, hopefully with some explosive results...

This time set in North Africa during WWII, Sniper Elite III will pit you against Germany’s infamous Afrika Korps, in what looks to be lush jungle and African plains environments. Rebellion have also promised a less linear structure to levels, allowing you to choose your own path, sniper nests, ambush locations, and vantage points.

Since it's also got a really fun multiplayer, I hope some of you will join me! But make sure you pick some good camo, because I'll have you in my crosshairs

Sniper Elite III will be available digitally and at retail on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 from June 27th.

Coug

Endeavoring Once Again: Final Fantasy X HD

Back in the day (well before internet guides), I got stuck on Final Fantasy X and never completed it on the PlayStation 2. So now that Final Fantasy X HD is on the PlayStation 3 and Vita, I decided to give the classic JRPG another go. Happily, I am way passed the part I was stuck on, and I'm now heading smoothly (mostly) to the end of the journey.

The latest is an upscaled version of the International edition which means that, besides upgraded visuals, some of us (like me) get to fight the Dark Aeons for the first time. Oh joy, oh joy. Though, to be honest, they couldn't possibly make me rage nearly as bad as dodging lightning or trying to beat 0 seconds in a chocobo race did ...right?

Final Fantasy X HD is available as part of the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster collection on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita, both digitally and at retail.

Taking A Chance On: Murdered: Soul Suspect

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to solve your own murder? That’s just what Detective Ronan O'Connor has to do in Murdered: Soul Suspect. I personally love just about anything paranormal or supernatural so this sparked my intrigue from the get go.

While trying to find your murderer, you get to freely explore the open-world of Salem, Massachusetts, where there are many things to see and do, including collecting like 200 items (x.x), and helping other ghosts find closure in their own mysteries so they can move on. Oh, and if you think tracking a murderer wasn’t hard enough, while in Dusk (the limbo-like realm that the you inhabit), Ronan also has to battle it out with demonic creatures that want to steal his soul…

Murdered: Soul Suspect will be available digitally and at retail on June 3 in North America, and June 6 in Europe.

Faust
    It's the most wonderful time of the year: E3 2014 and DreamHack Summer 2014

Wow, and I thought May was a bad month for new releases... Talk about barren. That's not to say there's nothing to look forward to this month if you're a gamer, however. In fact, June is perhaps one of the most exciting months in the video game calendar, thanks to E3 - the Electronic Entertainment Expo!

I love seeing and hearing about brand spanking new games almost as much as I do playing them, and if you're anything like me, June 9-12 will be spent struggling to keep up with all the exciting new game announcements and the ridiculous number of trailers, putting off important things like work and family to watch the major press conferences, and writing up my Christmas wish-list.

A handy viewing guide for E3 2014 from the folks at IGN

For those of you interested in the future of games, June 9 is the day to call in sick, with the Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, and Sony press conferences taking place throughout the day. Most major outlets (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) will provides live streams of each of the conferences, as well as pre and post analyses. If you're unable to stay glued to your screen, our News Team will be here to cover all the major stories.

For PC gamers or eSports fans, June holds an extra treat just for you: DreamHack Summer 2014 - the world’s largest digital festival, held in Jönköping, Sweden. Taking place from June 14-17, DHS will showcase some of the best competitive players and teams in a variety of eSports, including DotA2, League of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Ultra Street Fighter IV, with every match live-streamed on Twitch.
    Do yourself a favour and check it out!

E3 will run from June 9-12, with the major press conferences occurring on the first day at the following times: US West Coast, UK, and Australia.
    DreamHack Summer 2014 runs from June 14-17, with most of the eSports tournaments taking place between the afternoon and late evening, Central European Time.

Larrydavidsavatar
    What's In The Box?:
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2

I could bore you with another tale of how much XCOM I've played again this month (hint: a lot), but beyond that, I have been revisiting a number of my old favourites on various platforms. The standout of the bunch was the twenty-one-and-a-half year old platform magic of Sonic The Hedgehog 2. I cannot begin to attempt a guess as to how many times I've taken out the Death Egg and foiled Dr.Robotnik, but it's certain to be somewhere in the high three figures.

Sonic 2, much like its predecessor, simply doesn't get old. The soundtrack tunnels deep into your brain, slick level design keeps it enjoyable throughout, and the art style is wonderfully bright and captivating. When the credits once again rolled (with Tails flying Sonic back to earth on his Biplane in the background), I instantly knew I'd be visiting Mobius again. If only to put more fond Hedgehog memories ahead of the terrors of Sonic Unleashed...

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is available on the PlayStation Network for Playstation 3 as a standalone game, but can also be found as part of the PlayStation 3 edition of the SEGA Megadrive/Genesis Collection (which contains a number of classics such as Streets Of Rage II, Ecco The Dolphin, and Golden Axe, as well as other early Sonic titles) which can be found at your local games retailer.

The Punching Simulator I'm Looking Forward To This Month: EA Sports UFC

In all honesty, my first choice this month was going to be The Last Of Us: Remastered, but it got delayed. My second choice was The Elder Scrolls Online, but it too was delayed. So the only game of note left in June that I had interest in was EA Sports first UFC title since acquiring the rights from the still warm corpse of THQ, creatively retitled as "EA Sports UFC."

I truly enjoyed the THQ Undisputed series. They were easily one of the best sporting games series around, but I'm curious to see if EA can channel some of that Fight Night franchise greatness into the land of the Octagon, and at the very least I expect better than their lukewarm MMA attempts. If they can manage that, then I'll be sold on returning to the cage to knee a guy in the face, and maybe buy this game.

EA Sports UFC is out on June 20th for PlayStation 4, and will be available digitally and at retail.

Naglfar
    Currently Playing: Assassin's Creed 3

Lately I've been working on my backlog a lot, and this time it was Assassin's Creed 3's turn to enter my PS3's tray. Having played the franchise from the beginning, I didn't expect anything new in the gameplay department, and even less from the game's story due to my lack of interest in the American Revolution, especially after the second game portrayed Renaissance Italy so amazingly well. In the end, though, the setting proved to be interesting enough and kept me entertained throughout the campaign, but the gameplay and the problematic new engine had me disappointed.

The "simplified" combat mechanics proved easy to understand but were dull to play with, especially in the earlier areas, which made battles hard to wrap up - that is until the game-breaking introduction of the rope darts, which allow you to kill anyone without breaking a sweat; as always, the free running could be unresponsive at times, even though the addition of tree climbing was a very nice change of pace (and scenery); the worst thing though, were the technical hiccups I had to endure, from texture problems to people downright disappearing or floating up in mid-air.

Technical issues aside, Assassin's Creed 3 is one of the most enjoyable games I've played recently, and I'm glad I finally got to play it. Now to (eventually) try Black Flag and get to enjoy more of those naval segments, which ended up being one of (if not the) best parts of the game!

Assassin's Creed 3 is available digitally and at retail, and is included in the Assassin's Creed Heritage Collection.

That's it from us for this month. A big thanks to Coug for contributing this month, and to Luckay for providing the banners. As always, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below; tell us what games you're playing now, what games (if any) June holds for you, and what you want more from E3 this year!

Jinx? ...Stands for Jinx!

Good read. Well done Editorial Team and those who contributed.

Thanks to Luckay for this Signature and Dare_xLw Avatar. Thanks to RaveNScythE18 & Smashguy for the PPS userbar.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Ass Creed III had good intentions, but it was just so stop/start with its pacing. Coupling that with the bugs, I had to take a break from Creeding. Really good opening missions though. May go back to it at a later date.

May have to add Sniper Elite III to my rental list, sounds like great fun!
    Credit to the awesome ERICVOLTAGE for that. ^

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

CV, you are not the only one hyped for SE3!

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

Galaxy beauty pirate

Well done guys and Cougerella! It was a nice read again.

Good luck with FF X Coug! I should get back to that game someday..

Change is good

I'm so mad I couldn't get Watch_Dogs, and now probably never will (damn you Vettes ). Murdered: Soul Suspect seems like an interesting game as well, good shit Coug

That Southern B****

Good job even though this month is kinda meh. Also, you're most welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Good luck with FF X Coug! I should get back to that game someday..
    Thanks I'm at 150 hours and so ready for it all to be over with
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    Murdered: Soul Suspect seems like an interesting game as well, good shit Coug
    I watched the first like hour of a stream of the game and it was so good! I need to hurry up and knock out FFX so I can play it. xD
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 6 - Silver

Good read guys, especially the part COUG wrote, so i hope to see her back next month.
    I was doubting to get Murdered:SS , but i have too many unfinished games already.
    I will probably still get it after a price-drop.

Now i've been playing A LOT of different games lately. On my PS3 i've finally been able to plat AFRIKA, which i got on 1st of june, also, i've been boosting Mortal Kombat with neospoon.

On my PS4 i bought the new Worms Battlegrounds, i've always loved Worms and this one is awesome!

On the PSVita i've downloaded my new free Plus-games Pixeljunk Shooter ultimate and Surge, which are both fun to play, also i'm still doing my daily brain exercise in Smart as... to get the last 2 trophies, but the game i've played most on Vita lately is Rainbow Moon.

So, well, not much coming out for me this month, i don't care much for sportsgames so i will not buy them (Le Tour de France 2014 & EA Sports UFC & MotoGP 14), War shooters aren't my favourite games either, so i will also not buy Sniper Elite 3 & Air Conflicts Vietnam Ultimate Edition . The only game that comes out in june i've labelled "maybe" is Transformers Rise of the Dark Spark (Playstation 4), but i think i'll save my money to buy The Last Of Us Remastered, coming in july

(could be fun to play, so maybe i will get this at the end of the month)

That's it for me guys, i really like this "currently playing"-topic, it's fun to read and fun to write! So see you again next month!

R.I.P Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by _RiCaRdO_ View Post
    Good read guys, especially the part COUG wrote, so i hope to see her back next month.
    That's it for me guys, i really like this "currently playing"-topic, it's fun to read and fun to write! So see you again next month!
    Glad you're enjoying it! Awesome that you're inputting too

Notorious K.I.D.

This should be on the front page, I almost missed it this month. Great read guys, and I thought Coug did an excellent job. Good luck getting the FF X plat, it's a beautiful thing.
    Avatar by Djunglist---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Signature by Beam