Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony: Fewer First-Party Games Coming for PS Vita

This is a discussion on Sony: Fewer First-Party Games Coming for PS Vita within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Sony is planning on indie and third-party games — as well as Remote Play — to support the PlayStation Vita, ...

Hunter

Sony: Fewer First-Party Games Coming for PS Vita

Sony is planning on indie and third-party games — as well as Remote Play — to support the PlayStation Vita, with less of a focus on first-party games, according to Shuhei Yoshida.

Speaking with Polygon, Yoshida talked about the new strategy for PlayStation Vita and didn't think it was that surprising. When asked if this means fewer first-party games for the handheld then, the president of Sony Worldwide Studios agreed: "I would say, yes, that's correct."

Part of this may be due to the fact that graphics have become less of a talking point for PlayStation Vita, Yoshida said, so priorities for the handheld have evolved over the years. "It's very fortunate that the indie boom happened, and they are providing lots of great content to Vita," he said. "Gameplay, game-mechanic wise, people want to spend 10 minutes, 15 minutes getting in and out. ... Instead of watching big stories or cinematics, you can spend hours on Vita."

Yoshida elaborated on how Remote Play, however, can give players the graphically stunning experiences on the PlayStation Vita. He also mentioned that PlayStation Now will bring PlayStation 3 titles to the handheld, further strengthening the content lineup for the system.

Source: Polygon

JINTRAy

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

If I get one, I wouldn't use it for remote play. 3DS does seem like a better option for handhelds. Sony can't seem to grasp it.
    Last edited by daftprophet; 06-18-2014 at 04:09 PM.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

*insert Latin phrase*

The lack of first party support is gonna be the death of it. It's fun playing console games on the go, but being able to play a few games I could I PS3, wherever I'd like, isn't a selling point. The Vita needs good exclusives to prove a purchase.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Lvl 4 - Silver

The key word here is "fewer". Sure, it sucks that there won't be as many exclusives, but at least there will be some. Personally, I love my Vita and the abundance of indie and 3rd party games.

Click here for my platinum checklist
    and trophy guides

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    The lack of first party support is gonna be the death of it. It's fun playing console games on the go, but being able to play a few games I could I PS3, wherever I'd like, isn't a selling point. The Vita needs good exclusives to prove a purchase.
    Sadly, I agree. I'll still use my Vita semi-regularly, since there are lots of good things to play on it, but there are lots of ports and indies and not a lot of real reasons to go out and buy the system. It's great for indies, it's great for PS Classics, and it has a few good exclusive offerings, but it really does need more first party support. And while the idea of Remote Play is cool, it's something that I tried once and I know I'll never use. If I want to play PS4 games, I'll just use my PS4.

I know it's a gamble Sony, but it really would be good if you just got a few really big exclusive titles in production for Vita. If good exclusives don't come to Vita, it won't sell. On the other hand, if there are great exclusives for Vita, it will likely sell significantly better (though it's not guaranteed), and you'll get more 3rd party support as well. I understand the idea of having the Vita as an expensive, high-tech peripheral for the PS4, but I really wish Sony would believe in it a little more. People won't love it if you don't love it, Sony.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Hunter

Essentially saying first party studios are better spent working on a platform that's actually worth investing in.

New Vita owner here and have no complaints. Catching up on games I've wanted to play is nice and remote play is very cool. I hope there's a patch so we can use our dualshock 4 controller. I've tried the sub-account trick but I keep getting disconnected.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Same old debate arises...

Person A: I want more high quality, proper games on Vita. Vita has absolutely nothing to play!

Person B: Well, you have a decent selection already available, plus, now you can play your PS4 games on it.

Person A: Ugh, why would I wan't to play high quality PS4 games on a Vita? I want exclusives!

Person B: Well, you won't find these numerous indie titles on any other handheld

Person A: Ugh, Indie games don't count, I want Vita new exclusives, there's none out there.

Person B: Yes, there will be more like Murasaki Baby, Hohokum...(Person A rolls their eyes at these non-shootybang titles)...Fuck this, I'm out. (Leaves the country to avoid chucking a brick at Person A)

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's odd since most if not ALL the 1st party vita games are the best.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post

Person A: I want more high quality, proper games on Vita. Vita has absolutely nothing to play!

Person B: Well, you have a decent selection already available, plus, now you can play your PS4 games on it.

Person A: Ugh, why would I wan't to play high quality PS4 games on a Vita? I want exclusives!

Person B: Well, you won't find these numerous indie titles on any other handheld

Person A: Ugh, Indie games don't count, I want Vita new exclusives, there's none out there.

Person B: Yes, there will be more like Murasaki Baby, Hohokum...(Person A rolls their eyes at these non-shootybang titles)...Fuck this, I'm out. (Leaves the country to avoid chucking a brick at Person A)
    I don't know if you're referring to any of us in particular, but I'm not choosy about my games. I love almost every genre, with Sports being the only genre of games that I'm particularly choosy about (I mostly just play golf and boxing games). Basically, if a game is supposed to be good, then I'm interested in playing it.

I love indie titles, and Vita is a great platform to play them on. My problem is just with the abundance of indies and console ports in comparison to Vita exclusives. There are very few Vita exclusives, you must admit. Sure, there are more on the way, such as Murasaki Baby and Freedom Wars, but they're kind of niche titles that not a lot of people are necessarily interested in. Freedom Wars is apparently a big deal in Japan, but I doubt it will be here. They're both cool sounding games, and I'm interested in them, and I know there are others on the way, but not many of them. If we want to get more 3rd party support and inject the Vita with more life and a larger install base, we need a new God of War, a new Infamous, a Gran Turismo, or something like that. We need a really big ticket game in a series that's proven to sell well.

Anyway, I have no intention of getting rid of my Vita. It's good for a lot of things. I just wish it was also good for exclusive games. What it has are decent, but they tend to be niche and there aren't a large number of them.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Kiwi Defender

Good idea, let's release less games for a handheld that struggles with its sales because it doesn't have enough games.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Yes, the very infighting among gamers and devs alike that I tire of. To have the Vita crush the 3DS, ALL the sources have to come together, from Indies to Ports to Exclusives and everything in between. The Vita's strength is its diversity, plain and simple. So let's stop fighting and start crushing the competition!

Amazing Sig and Avy by DaRe

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Icebrand1270 View Post
    Yes, the very infighting among gamers and devs alike that I tire of. To have the Vita crush the 3DS, ALL the sources have to come together, from Indies to Ports to Exclusives and everything in between. The Vita's strength is its diversity, plain and simple. So let's stop fighting and start crushing the competition!
    Might as well wake up and face reality, because the 3DS is so far ahead of the Vita (sales-wise), that there's no way for the Vita to catch up in a lifetime. If anyone's being crushed, it's the Vita, and hard.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

*insert Latin phrase*

What sucks most of all is that the Vita has so much potential to be a great handheld system, yet it's treated like an accessory at this point.

Sony's mention of the Vita at E3

"It exists. You play games on it. Especially PS4 games."

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Puns always intended.

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusFury View Post
    I don't know if you're referring to any of us in particular, but I'm not choosy about my games. I love almost every genre, with Sports being the only genre of games that I'm particularly choosy about (I mostly just play golf and boxing games). Basically, if a game is supposed to be good, then I'm interested in playing it.

I love indie titles, and Vita is a great platform to play them on. My problem is just with the abundance of indies and console ports in comparison to Vita exclusives. There are very few Vita exclusives, you must admit. Sure, there are more on the way, such as Murasaki Baby and Freedom Wars, but they're kind of niche titles that not a lot of people are necessarily interested in. Freedom Wars is apparently a big deal in Japan, but I doubt it will be here. They're both cool sounding games, and I'm interested in them, and I know there are others on the way, but not many of them. If we want to get more 3rd party support and inject the Vita with more life and a larger install base, we need a new God of War, a new Infamous, a Gran Turismo, or something like that. We need a really big ticket game in a series that's proven to sell well.

Anyway, I have no intention of getting rid of my Vita. It's good for a lot of things. I just wish it was also good for exclusive games. What it has are decent, but they tend to be niche and there aren't a large number of them.

It was a merely a generalisation of the debate that occurs every time an article mentions Vita, so while it has been said by people on this site, it's also been said by many, many more outside of it. Believe me when I say I'd point out a single person if I felt they were being particulary obnoxious about it, but it's not quite reached that level on here, as generally speaking, it's a good crowd for debate.

I look back at the PSP, which had exclusives such as MGS Peace Walker, God Of War: COL and GOS, GTA Liberty City and Vice City Stories, Gran Turismo and LittleBig Planet, some of them were fantastic, some were pump. They no doubt sold a few handhelds, but they were stretched over a far longer time period than Vita's current run has currently amassed. Outside these big name titles designed to sell the PSP, there were countless months full of nothing, or months full of utter shite. The reason I, and many others, kept playing a PSP was because of Mini's and PSOne Classics. It was a joy to blast through Resident Evil on holiday. Or become a wrinkled sponge of a man through playing Final Fantasy VIII in the bath.

That same joy applies to Vita today when I can play MGS 2 on the swings. Or fanny about with Ground Zeroes whilst the Wife watches Cake Boss. Sure the exclusives are limited, but they are there, and if they aren't enough, there are hundreds of other game types to play. A wider selection of decent-to-great gaming options than any other handheld. The indie titles may not be big budget games but, in most cases, they are Vita exclusive (as in not on mobile, tablet, or 3DS).

I'd gladly welcome new, exclusive titles to Vita of course, but with all it will have at it's disposal, the exclusives they do make should be brand new titles, not pared down versions of blockbuster franchises. Why bother spending extra money making an inferior Uncharted title when you could play a far more advanced The Last Of Us, or even Uncharted 4 on Vita? Big names attract punters in the short term, but a wealth of diverse content will keep the system in circulation longer.

The best things Sony could do to get more Vita buyers, and improve it's chances of getting more support from the bigs? bundle it with the PS4 (which is happening), and make the memory cards cheaper.

Kiwi Defender

A wider selection of decent-to-great gaming options than any other handheld. The indie titles may not be big budget games but, in most cases, they are Vita exclusive (as in not on mobile, tablet, or 3DS).
    Wut.

What handhelds, exactly? Because I recall the GameBoy Advance, DS and 3DS having more games. Heck, the PSP has more games too.

Toggle Spoiler

Puns always intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Wut.

What handhelds, exactly? Because I recall the GameBoy Advance, DS and 3DS having more games. Heck, the PSP has more games too.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, 'Current' handhelds, and more games of a better quality than those was the vein I was going for.

And yes, PSP does have a lot of games, it should have, it is 9 years old now, but there was a massive pile of shite, unplayable ones that far outweighed the rare, decent ones. For the time Vita has been about, its had better games overall than PSP managed in the same timespan. I say this as someone who loves both.

Kiwi Defender

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, 'Current' handhelds, and more games of a better quality than those was the vein I was going for.

And yes, PSP does have a lot of games, it should have, it is 9 years old now, but there was a massive pile of shite, unplayable ones that far outweighed the rare, decent ones. For the time Vita has been about, its had better games overall than PSP managed in the same timespan. I say this as someone who loves both.
    Well, of course it has a lot of shite. As kteh PS2 game library: full of jewels, all among a sea of rubbish. Same a severy bloody console ever lol.

Still with your aclaration I disagree. The 3DS shits all over the Vita in terms of amount of games it has, not to mention it was backwards comaptibility with the original DS. That just adds injury to insult to how badly it beats the crap out of the Vita.

Toggle Spoiler

Puns always intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Well, of course it has a lot of shite. As kteh PS2 game library: full of jewels, all among a sea of rubbish. Same a severy bloody console ever lol.

Still with your aclaration I disagree. The 3DS shits all over the Vita in terms of amount of games it has, not to mention it was backwards comaptibility with the original DS. That just adds injury to insult to how badly it beats the crap out of the Vita.
    .....Ok..... I'll explain it a little more as I guess it wasn't clear enough for you. Of course every console and handheld has shite on it. PSP, however, had an abnormal level of shite, I'm talking Wii levels. PSP had big name games,sure, very few were any cop though. Vita, has far less of that shite in a similar time and more variety. This of course, Is my opinion.
    No problem with you disagreeing Nag, because it's all about those opinions. Mine happens to be that Vita is not doomed in the slightest, and has a bloody decent library of games from various sources. You don't think the same. What a world eh?

Kiwi Defender

.....Ok..... I'll explain it a little more as I guess it wasn't clear enough for you. Of course every console and handheld has shite on it. PSP, however, had an abnormal level of shite, I'm talking Wii levels. PSP had big name games,sure, very few were any cop though. Vita, has far less of that shite in a similar time and more variety. This of course, Is my opinion.
    No problem with you disagreeing Nag, because it's all about those opinions. Mine happens to be that Vita is not doomed in the slightest, and has a bloody decent library of games from various sources. You don't think the same. What a world eh?
    I think you're missunderstanding me missunderstanding you. I know the PSP is full of crap lol. One quick look at any store's selection of PSP games is enough to prove that's true (same goes for the Wii). I never argued against that. What I argued against was it having less "worthy of your money" games than the Vita, which has like 10 (and most of those happen to be ports).

Also, the Vita has over 600 games already. Just take a quick glimpse at this list and tell me how it's full of great and decent titles as opposed to other handhelds and how its amazing library thrives with great titles.

Toggle Spoiler

Roo Commander

This is disappointing, I'm not the biggest fan of Indie games so more on the Vita isn't making me jump for joy. Maybe one year Sony will realise that the Vita needs more First Play games and that while remote play is cool it's not a huge selling point.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast