Sony Considering PS4 'Early Access' Program

This is a discussion on Sony Considering PS4 'Early Access' Program within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Sony has stated that it's looking at a similar system of Steam for the Playstation 4. Steam's early access on ...

Gods Reign

Sony Considering PS4 'Early Access' Program

Sony has stated that it's looking at a similar system of Steam for the Playstation 4. Steam's early access on PC allows players to purchase and try games that are still in active development. This allows the developers to bring in revenue that helps fund the final development of the game, while using its player-base for feedback and bug reports.

"That’s one of the massive conversations we have internally — that, at what point does [a game meet standards of release]?" Sony's Adam Boyes said in an interview with Gamasutra. "We still at some point ensure that we're being mindful of the consumer. We don't want somebody to stumble across that title and expect a full product, and have a negative experience."
    This sort of system would allow Sony to attract a wider array of gamers, including those who would be willing, and interested, in paying for an early copy of the game and helping give feedback for development.

"We live in a different world. There are different types of people. There people who always back games, enjoy Kickstarters, try things that they know aren't finished but are willing to help make better," Boyes continued.
    Players often expect a higher level of polish and a smoother experience. "Honestly, we're working through that right now. We're figuring out what's OK," Boyes said.
    "We obviously have our tech requirement checklist that people have to adhere to. So we're internally discussing, what does that list look like this? What are the caveats? Stuff like this. So it's still a project that a lot of minds are considering. No details yet, but it's something on the top of my mind every day."

Source: Polygon

Mr. 70 Plats

Playing different games early would prove beneficial. Give people a chance to fully try it to see if they like it or not, provide some feedback on what could make the game better, etc. Hopefully, this takes off like they want it to.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Playing different games early would prove beneficial. Give people a chance to fully try it to see if they like it or not, provide some feedback on what could make the game better, etc. Hopefully, this takes off like they want it to.
    Or, as is more often the case on Steam, the customer pays for half-baked, half-arsed, budget-priced, cash-in jobs from developers that have no place being there.

Steam's Early Access should be renamed 'Steaming pile of shit'. I hate opening Steam's Store page and seeing what's happened to it over the last couple of years with clone after endless shitty clone hoping to make a quick buck.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Or, as is more often the case on Steam, the customer pays for half-baked, half-arsed, budget-priced, cash-in jobs from developers that have no place being there.

Steam's Early Access should be renamed 'Steaming pile of shit'. I hate opening Steam's Store page and seeing what's happened to it over the last couple of years with clone after endless shitty clone hoping to make a quick buck.
    But this would be Sony's, so it'd be perfect and help release the greatest games ever.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    But this would be Sony's, so it'd be perfect and help release the greatest games ever.
    Your sarcasm knows no bounds oh Flar of Nag.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Your sarcasm knows no bounds oh Flar of Nag.
    Whaaaat? Sarcasm? No way! We all know Sony does no wrong .

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Random Access Memories

I don't like this as much as I don't like it for Steam for reasons already stated. It's pooped out, half-assed games that you pay full price for. Only game I did this for that was worth it was DayZ...I suppose Goat simulator too since it was only $10. WILL NOT pay full price for a half made game...which is honestly what we are usually doing anyway, right?

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I don't like this as much as I don't like it for Steam for reasons already stated. It's pooped out, half-assed games that you pay full price for. Only game I did this for that was worth it was DayZ...I suppose Goat simulator too since it was only $10. WILL NOT pay full price for a half made game...which is honestly what we are usually doing anyway, right?
    That depends no the game you're talking about . Some of them are, indeed, half-made and have you paying full-price for that half-assedness. However, others are, in fact, full-game releases - with some of the content being locked, which leads to developers "forcing" you to buy the DLC (aka the overpriced unlock key) in order to play everything the game offers (and supposedly was available from the start).

Either way, you're still robbed .

Toggle Spoiler

ADMlNlSTRATOR

Hey cool, I love episodic gaming.

Lvl 7 - Gold

agreeing with daft I would say 90% of games these days are unfinished not properly tested and buggy as waiting for patch 1.01 (unless using a glitch for trophies lol) is a must. the bigger the game, the more problems there are.

R.I.P Ellie

Urgh, so more and more indie crap then

La Mano de Dios

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    Hey, don't be so rough on indies. Some good stuff has been out there... and some shit too but that's life

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    Well, if it weren't for indie games there'd be about 90% less games on the PS死 (which is rather sad and pitiful) .

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 4 - Silver

I can see this being beneficial, but there are always games that will make people feel ripped off, justly or unjustly. I wouldn't be against implementing this, but I'd likely rarely (if ever) use the feature. I tend to move from game to game and not stick to playing one for a particularly long period of time, so it makes more sense for me to just play a game when it's finished. That's the main reason why I probably won't play the Destiny beta for more than 10 hours or so. I won't want to burn myself out on the game before it comes out.

Anyways, it's an interesting idea, and it works okay for Steam, but I don't know if it would work on consoles. The audience as a whole is a bit different on consoles versus PC.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

100% Grizzly

From what I hear there is so much red tape involved with even updating something on consoles that this sounds like even more red taped lined things for developers.