Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Last of Us: Remastered Install Size Revealed

This is a discussion on The Last of Us: Remastered Install Size Revealed within the PlayStation & Trophy News forum, part of the PS3Trophies.com Headquarters; Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us: Remastered will require 50GB of installation space on the PlayStation 4’s hard drive. A ...

Blood in the Streets

The Last of Us: Remastered Install Size Revealed

Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us: Remastered will require 50GB of installation space on the PlayStation 4’s hard drive.

A few lucky PS4 owners were able to get their hands on a retail copy, eight days before official launch. Screenshots are also being distributed across the net with comparisons of the PS3 version, as well as Twitch broadcasts of the game.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well, that's good news, I say. If there's a 50 Gig install, they've probably done a good job upgrading the game for PS4. It's a lot of space though. Good thing I upgraded to a 1 TB hard drive.

Very excited to play through this again on better hardware.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

PS420

That's extremely large. IMO, this is a big downfall for the digital push unless you're rocking multiple terabytes of space.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Digital or Physical, size will be the same. All games install fully onto the hard drive. After installation, the physical disk is now your license only.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

PS420

Quote Originally Posted by Tegamal View Post
    Digital or Physical, size will be the same. All games install fully onto the hard drive. After installation, the physical disk is now your license only.
    All PS4 games? I don't have one so I don't know, but I do know that not all PS3 games require an install.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Good News, Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    All PS4 games? I don't have one so I don't know, but I do know that not all PS3 games require an install.
    Yes all games are installed, but most games weigh in at about 15-25 GB so far. Only the biggest titles get up near 40-50.

PS420

Quote Originally Posted by Vettes View Post
    Yes all games are installed, but most games weigh in at about 15-25 GB so far. Only the biggest titles get up near 40-50.
    That's ridiculous. I didn't know that. What the hell is the point then? I love physical, but installing a game from the disc is absurd since it would otherwise save space. Damn. Thanks for the info.

|
    |by Smashguy |

Good News, Everyone!

That's ridiculous. I didn't know that. What the hell is the point then? I love physical, but installing a game from the disc is absurd since it would otherwise save space. Damn. Thanks for the info.
    Well you can just delete the game info if you need space, as there's no limit to the number of times you can download it via disc. It does take up a lot of space though, especially seeing as games will continue to increase in size.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Absolutely not true, that's the case with XBone i believe, but not with PS4

*insert Latin phrase*

You always need to install games on PS4.

That's massive! Hopefully that's a good sign that they really revamped it! Can't wait to finally play it!

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Big deal, Wolfenstein New Order is a 53 GB install...

Lvl 5 - Silver

If you need to delete game data to save space, it's better with a disc because it's much faster to reinstall. Even with the new initiative where you only need to partly download a game in order to start playing it, downloading, say, the first 8 GB of a 50 GB game would still take a really long time. Installing that data off a disc takes a lot less time, so it's more convenient.

It's mildly annoying that you have to install every disc game onto the PS4, but as someone who's both installed from disc and downloaded from PSN some HUGE games (GB-wise), I can tell you it's MUCH faster to install from disc. Like, by a factor of 50 times or more. So it really shouldn't be difficult to delete and reinstall game data from disc copies, as space is needed. It's for that reason that I'm going to stick with primarily hard copies for retail released games.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in at least a 1 TB hard drive when you get a PS4 though (like I did). 500 GB will probably feel kind of small once a lot of games release, but 1 TB should do you well.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Lvl 8 - Gold

What is the point of these install sizes? whats the point of me buying a physical copy of a game if its going to install the whole damn game? might as well move digital...

PS420

Quote Originally Posted by CitrusFury View Post
    If you need to delete game data to save space, it's better with a disc because it's much faster to reinstall. Even with the new initiative where you only need to partly download a game in order to start playing it, downloading, say, the first 8 GB of a 50 GB game would still take a really long time. Installing that data off a disc takes a lot less time, so it's more convenient.

It's mildly annoying that you have to install every disc game onto the PS4, but as someone who's both installed from disc and downloaded from PSN some HUGE games (GB-wise), I can tell you it's MUCH faster to install from disc. Like, by a factor of 50 times or more. So it really shouldn't be difficult to delete and reinstall game data from disc copies, as space is needed. It's for that reason that I'm going to stick with primarily hard copies for retail released games.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in at least a 1 TB hard drive when you get a PS4 though (like I did). 500 GB will probably feel kind of small once a lot of games release, but 1 TB should do you well.
    Well that's good to know that at least it's a bit faster. I will most definitely invest in a terabyte, but at that rate, you won't be able to play many games. What like 20 installed on your HD so fuck going back and playing older games since it will still take time to install. :/

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    What is the point of these install sizes? whats the point of me buying a physical copy of a game if its going to install the whole damn game? might as well move digital...
    I don't like that mindset, but you have a point. Except for the post above you saying it's quicker.

|
    |by Smashguy |

PRO Member

As much as I want to get a PS4, I may wish to wait until 1TB becomes "standard issue", which I'd rather see than a price drop.
    Of course, I might be waiting for some time...

Avy by DaRe
    Ribbon by Beam

"It's not the critic who counts. The credit goes to the man who is actually in the arena." --
    Theodore Roosevelt.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well that's good to know that at least it's a bit faster. I will most definitely invest in a terabyte, but at that rate, you won't be able to play many games. What like 20 installed on your HD so fuck going back and playing older games since it will still take time to install. :/
    It's way more than a bit. Discs also only need to install part of it before you can start playing, but they're much faster about it. I couldn't give you an exact comparison, but it's much more convenient. I don't think it would be that much of a pain in the long run. Especially since disc games will probably average anywhere between 20 and 50 gigs (or thereabouts), so not every game will be 50 gigs. And lots of downloadable games are much smaller, so you'll be able to fit a lot into 1 TB.

That said, space is still a concern. But installing from a disc isn't too bad in my experience, even on PS3, and on PS4 it's definitely faster. Even though there's more data to process. I tend to move from game to game and not play games I'm finished with usually (with some exceptions), so I probably won't run into many problems. I can understand if some people would have more problems, though.

PS: For perspective, only 1 out of the 7 disk-based games that I own for PS4 is about 50 gigs, and that's Killzone: Shadow Fall. The rest of them fall around the 20-30 gig mark, give or take, and that's not counting the downloaded games I have which are typically much smaller. Granted, some of these smaller sizes probably have to do with some being upgraded versions of last gen games, and average install size will probably only increase, but not every game will be 50 gigs. I think it will be a lot more manageable than you might think (if you have 1 TB or more).
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Icebrand1270 View Post
    As much as I want to get a PS4, I may wish to wait until 1TB becomes "standard issue", which I'd rather see than a price drop.
    Of course, I might be waiting for some time...
    Just buy a 1 TB hard drive and replace it yourself. Then you have an extra 500 GB hard drive that you can either use or sell, or whatever. You can buy a 1 TB internal hard drive for less than 100 bucks now, and the PS4 makes it extremely easy to replace. All you need is a screwdriver, and a little How To video/instruction set online. I'm no expert, and I did it in about 5 minutes without much difficulty.
    The Jolly Green Giant
    Has a stable full of hos
    Except instead of ladies
    He pimps out potatoes

-Roast Beef

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

im getting the white ps4 this september for destiny, i could imagine the space that game will take up. im new to all of this stuff ps4 wise
    so i definitely learned something today
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    im getting the white ps4 this september for destiny, i could imagine the space that game will take up. im new to all of this stuff ps4 wise
    so i definitely learned something today
    Hell, you just reminded me -__- .... I hope its not like, staggering high, cuz there's so many games coming out next year that I might just build a 5 TB hard drive soon as I get that PS4.
    Sync Unison: Element of Spirits

Lvl 8 - Gold

So far, the only really large games I've run into were Shadow Fall and Wolfenstein. But Wolfenstein only installed at around 45GB from the disc. There was a 7-8GB patch at launch that bumped the install on the HDD up to 53GB. inFAMOUS: Second Son was something like 23GB, Bound by Flame was around 8-9GB (iirc), Murdered: Soul Suspect was less than 10GB, the Lego games have been around 12-15GB for different ones. And the PSN games vary in size from a few hundred MBs to a couple GBs (Warframe is around 10GB right now, Dead Nation is around 2.5GB). While I've been doing just fine with the default HDD, I'll probably end up getting at least a 1TB drive sometime next year. I'm staying on top of my games and deleting the installs when I'm done with them, so I haven't run into any issues yet, but this fall is going to completely wreck me. Too many games.
    Just to help explain a bit, every PS4 game installs onto the HDD because the game sizes are so large that it's faster to read the data off of the hard drive rather than the Blu-Ray, and with the faster CPU and RAM in the PS4 compared to the PS3, the load times are incredibly faster even while working with more data. While I've never liked purchasing games digitally when they're available on disc for the same price, it really comes into play here. Like several others have said, letting the game install off the disc is much faster than downloading it. And it offers the convenience of being able to delete the game data if you're running low on space and want to play your brand new game, but you can easily pop the disc in again and play the game after waiting 2-5 minutes. I can't imagine trying to go digital this gen, with most games being 10GB+, and big ones being over 40GB. Sure I have great speeds, but that would still take several hours to download and install.

My advice: go physical, get a larger HDD as soon as you buy the PS4, be happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast