Collectems is a new RPG project from The Layabouts made in the spirit of the original Pokémon Red & Blue Versions. Collectems is currently being developed for Windows PC, Mac OS X, Linux, PlayStation®Vita, and PlayStation®4. A release date has not been announced as yet.
Collectems takes the concept of an non-linear open world Pokemon game and adds a little unique concept to it. Players will be able to enjoy a randomized world each time they play. This means the location of species, opponents, and loot will be different each time you play.
Core Game Features"At an unknown time, in a familiar world, a mysterious fire burns over the quiet of the night. Through the smoke and the ashes, your father is nowhere to be found, and a lifetime of debt now rests at your feet. Bound by the shackles of responsibility, you venture out into the Tamota Peninsula, where strange mutant creatures have ravaged the natural ecosystem and captured the hearts of millions. These 'Collectems' are a full-blown culture-defining phenomenon, taken in as anything from household pets and workplace assistants to biological weapons of mass destruction. Through the process of capture & control, how will you use these marvelous beasts and their unique capabilities to pay off your father's debt?"
- Explore a variety of interesting and diverse locales in this non-linear world, unlocking new routes of travel as you obtain various navigational tools. The decisions of where to go and what to do at any given time are yours to make.
- Discover several different Collectem species across multiple types, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and special abilities. Individual members of a species can vary wildly from one another, meaning that there’s always a good reason to go out in search of new monsters.
- Enjoy a randomized experience each playthrough, where the layout of the environments and the location of different species, opponents, & loot are different every time. This will ensure that things are fresh and the decisions are tough even if you've already played before.
- Battle your team of carefully trained Collectems in strategic turn-based battles where the stakes are high and the rewards are even higher. Allow your fallen Collectems to live on by infusing their DNA with those still alive, passing on moves, traits, and special abilities.
- Shape the strategy of your business as you see fit over the course of the adventure. Use money you acquire from battles to invest in breeding centers, eugenics research, item manufacturing, training facilities, and more!
- A number of customizable difficulty options allow you to differentiate individual runs through the game. Disable permanent death, place restrictions on learning/teaching moves, penalize yourself for healing, institute economic inflation, remove all logic from the randomization of the world - these are just a few examples, and the choices are yours to make to fit your playstyle.
- Lovingly-crafted pixel art and a catchy chiptune soundtrack evoke the heyday of retro handheld gaming, but a higher resolution widescreen viewing field, color options, internet connectivity, and a touch- and mouse-friendly interface bring it into the 21st century.